Free version of Vista with most new Dell purchases - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,421
Free version of Vista with most new Dell purchases

Looks like I bought too soon!

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/g...cs=&l=en&s=gen

No timetable on when it will be available but hey it won't cost anything when you finally get it.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
BP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 02:57 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
 
Sgt Beavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,859
Actually its only free if you get your system with XP media center edition, or WinXP Pro. If you have XP Home Edition, it will cost your $45 plus shipping and handling.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sgt Beavis is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Custom Title
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hades who?
Posts: 16,520
I heard there is no driver support for Vista, or hardly any.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time



Yellowstang is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:25 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!
 
DarkWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,316
Wish Dell would start giving the option of "No OS" when configuring your system.

I'm curious how much Windows "market share" would decrease from people who a) already own a copy and don't give a fuck about eula stating they can only have one copy per computer, b) want to set up a linux server(s), c) want to run a linux desktop.

I know I've personally contributed to something like 4 licenses for xp pro. All by buying laptops, and one freebie I got when doing tech support for Dell. Now, had I been given the "No OS" option, I'd have just taken the one freebie, and loaded it on all the laptops. Market share drops from 4 to 1 in my case. Curious how that would shake out across the board.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
DarkWolf is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
I know I've personally contributed to something like 4 licenses for xp pro. All by buying laptops, and one freebie I got when doing tech support for Dell. Now, had I been given the "No OS" option, I'd have just taken the one freebie, and loaded it on all the laptops. Market share drops from 4 to 1 in my case. Curious how that would shake out across the board.
I bought 5 copies myself and have no idea where the original CDs are. When I have to do an install now it's with a burned CD and I reuse the same license over and over again. I haven't even had to call Microsoft on the last 3.

I do love the fact that my 2 month old Dell laptop won't support the Aero features of Vista. Especially since I bought the 256mb Radeon video card.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
BP is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
I bought 5 copies myself and have no idea where the original CDs are. When I have to do an install now it's with a burned CD and I reuse the same license over and over again. I haven't even had to call Microsoft on the last 3.

I do love the fact that my 2 month old Dell laptop won't support the Aero features of Vista. Especially since I bought the 256mb Radeon video card.

i dont buy software

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
I just got installing the "beta" (Microsoft.Windows.Vista.32Bit.Build.5728.DVD-winbeta) on my other computer and it took forever. Copying files took 2hrs alone. Then unextracting and all this other bs. After all that, it rebooted and did this 10~ minute "performance" check thing. It does boot up pretty quick tho. I do like the sidebar it has.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 12:10 PM
600 plus a few
 
BottleRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Westchester, the best Chester
Posts: 7,278
most people are doing that promotion now. Best Buy is doing the same thing, free upgrade to Vista

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819



some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
BottleRocket is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lowell Arkansas
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
I just got installing the "beta" (Microsoft.Windows.Vista.32Bit.Build.5728.DVD-winbeta) on my other computer and it took forever. Copying files took 2hrs alone. Then unextracting and all this other bs. After all that, it rebooted and did this 10~ minute "performance" check thing. It does boot up pretty quick tho. I do like the sidebar it has.

I downloaded it but it wont let me burn it to a dvd for some reason...

bmxerbrett is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
most people are doing that promotion now. Best Buy is doing the same thing, free upgrade to Vista
Yeah but Dell beat them to the punch by atleast a week.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
BP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome