PS3, Who is getting one? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Censored

PS3, Who is getting one?

The release date is November 17th, did anyone reserve one at Gamestop? I am going to have to be at WalMart at around 8pm the day before to get one.

Doors Done Rite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Vikings are next!

Thumbs down

Can't afford one...

02 GT
X-pipe and flows

post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:19 AM
dead

im gonna camp one and sell it the day of.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:25 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Judging from Sony's past quality on their launch consoles... why would you bother dropping $660+ (you do want a game or two, right?) on this piece of junk?

Even taking their past consoles out of the equation, this is an entirely new cpu architecture, and the system has already been plagued with low yields of the cpu due to manufacturing difficulties, as well as problems aquiring the blue diodes for the laser to use the BluRay discs.

And, to top that off, they've adjusted their launch capacity down, from where it initially started at 6 million units by end of Fiscal Year 2006 (which is in March 2007).

They then dropped to 4 million by FY2006, due to production issues... but promised 2 million at launch, worldwide.

Then came the announcement just a couple months ago that they're revising their launch predictions yet again. 400,000 to North America, 100,000 to Japan. Europe doesn't get it until next spring. But still promising 2 million units by year end (not FY2006, but actually by December 31st 2006).

And now, just this week they've announced that there will be less than 2 million units by Dec 31st. No solid numbers, but either way, this does not bode well. I'll be shocked if they can pull off 1 million units by Dec 31st. I'll be even more shocked if the launch units aren't plagued with failures culminating in a recall or at the least and extended warranty replacement period.

This launch is going to be a fiasco easily eclipsing the X360 launch.

Comparatively, Nintendo promised the Wii will have at least 1 million units at launch, just in North America. However, it looks as though there will be even more, as it's been reported they have somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 to 9 million units already produced and ready to ship. Even if you split it evenly between NA, JP, and EU, that's 2.3 million up to 3 million units per market, at launch.

I might buy one when Final Fantasy XIII comes out, if they're around $300 or less, and if Squenix doesn't decide to make it multi-platform. There's a good chance they might, as a lot of the developers that initially promised all these PS3 exclusives, are now backing off and even making some of them cross-platform, because of all the problems with the PS3 launch up to now, and the rediculously limited number of consoles that will be available, even by FY2006. It just doesn't make sense for them to spend 20+ million on developing a game for a system that will only have a tiny niche of the console market for the forseeable future.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Hamilton Racing Ownz U

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Judging from Sony's past quality on their launch consoles... why would you bother dropping $660+ (you do want a game or two, right?) on this piece of junk?

Even taking their past consoles out of the equation, this is an entirely new cpu architecture, and the system has already been plagued with low yields of the cpu due to manufacturing difficulties, as well as problems aquiring the blue diodes for the laser to use the BluRay discs.

And, to top that off, they've adjusted their launch capacity down, from where it initially started at 6 million units by end of Fiscal Year 2006 (which is in March 2007).

They then dropped to 4 million by FY2006, due to production issues... but promised 2 million at launch, worldwide.

Then came the announcement just a couple months ago that they're revising their launch predictions yet again. 400,000 to North America, 100,000 to Japan. Europe doesn't get it until next spring. But still promising 2 million units by year end (not FY2006, but actually by December 31st 2006).

And now, just this week they've announced that there will be less than 2 million units by Dec 31st. No solid numbers, but either way, this does not bode well. I'll be shocked if they can pull off 1 million units by Dec 31st. I'll be even more shocked if the launch units aren't plagued with failures culminating in a recall or at the least and extended warranty replacement period.

Comparatively, Nintendo promised the Wii will have at least 1 million units at launch, just in North America. However, it looks as though there will be even more, as it's been reported they have somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 to 9 million units already produced and ready to ship. Even if you split it evenly between NA, JP, and EU, that's 2.3 million up to 3 million units per market, at launch.

I might buy one when Final Fantasy XIII comes out, if they're around $300 or less, and if Squenix doesn't decide to make it multi-platform. There's a good chance they might, as a lot of the developers that initially promised all these PS3 exclusives, are now backing off and even making some of them cross-platform, because of all the problems with the PS3 launch up to now, and the rediculously limited number of consoles that will be available, even by FY2006. It just doesn't make sense for them to spend 20+ million on developing a game for a system that will only have a tiny niche of the console market for the forseeable future.
Ebay = $500 minimum profit, that's why...

I'm with Momo- camp, = sell the day of... I missed the reserve list at Gamestop, they only got like 6...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:32 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD
Heh, good point. Yeah that'd be the only reason I'd get one right now, to turn around and make a killing on it.

You see eBay's new rules regaurding selling things like this? All those auctions for pre-order slips were taken down, because even with a pre-order you're not guaranteed to get a system at launch. So until the sellers actually have product in hand, they can't put it up for auction.

DarkWolf
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:33 AM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD

I'm with Momo- camp, = sell the day of... I missed the reserve list at Gamestop, they only got like 6...

im doing the circuit city in plano. seems everyone does best buy and walmart so you have to get there way to early. for the xbox release, if you were in line by 4am, you had one.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:34 AM
dead

Quote:
Heh, good point. Yeah that'd be the only reason I'd get one right now, to turn around and make a killing on it.

You see eBay's new rules regaurding selling things like this? All those auctions for pre-order slips were taken down, because even with a pre-order you're not guaranteed to get a system at launch. So until the sellers actually have product in hand, they can't put it up for auction.

it makes the most money on ebay a few days after its sold out anyways. kids realize they cant get one and bug their parents to hell.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:35 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:

I'm really thinking about picking up the Wii...

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Time Served

I'll be buying a Wii for my family to play, but I'm gonna steer clear of the PS3... Just think about what Sony did with Beta tapes... The clearly superior format, but they refused to liscense it out, therefore it suffered, and ultimately didn't make it. Now they're doing the same thing with BluRay... It won't be long before there are a few Sony produced movies, and Sony produced games, but I don't see them letting many liscenses go to manufacture BluRay product to outside companies, which will hurt (drastically) the number of games and/or movies available for the format. And unless changes have been made to BluRay (which is a technology that's quite a bit older than even the PS2), it's incompatible with standard DVDs. Once again, I haven't kept up with it, so they may have rectified that issue, but I still wanna see what becomes of the BluRay format before I mess with it. I just don't see it making it very far. Phillips released a series of BluRay DVD-RW drives years ago, before you could buy them in stores, and it BOMBED. As in not even 10% of the manufactured units where sold.

1992 SHO MTX
Under Construction...
White/Black/White

1992 SHO MTX
My first SHO, and always my favorite. Totaled at less than 9 MPH. Dynomax Bullets, chip'd, Tokicos, and a few other goodies. Official parts car.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Lifer

I have one pre-ordered, but will just be re-selling it when I get it. I'm not really a Sony fan..
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 03:19 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I'm getting a Wii. The PS3 is trying to do too much and as a result costs too much. Sony would have been better off not making this a technical tour de force.

I think Nintendo has read the market better than Sony. Rather than appealing ONLY to hard core games they have decided to actually try and redefine the market. One other company did exactly this and has whipped Sony's ass ever since. That company is Apple. Apple completely redefined the digital music player industry and had dominated it ever since. Sony still makes pretty good music players but they have never recovered from the Apple onslaught.

I think there is little coincidence that the Wii looks like it is an Apple product.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 08:13 PM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
same here, there won't be as much difference in the two main systems as people think, the 360 has a better graphic card and the ps3 faster processors but he 360 reads at something like 32x(i think that is what I read) while the ps3 on blue ray will only read at 2x, which means longer load times and frame rate dropping. so it looks to be a wash. the only thing the ps3 has over the 360 is if you want hd movies then the ps3 is the only way to go.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
the only thing the ps3 has over the 360 is if you want hd movies then the ps3 is the only way to go.
Not true, Microsoft is introducing an HD-DVD player attachment for the 360 in November.

I've had both Blu-ray and HD-DVD players and HD-DVD is by far and away better than blu-ray right now.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
same here, there won't be as much difference in the two main systems as people think, the 360 has a better graphic card and the ps3 faster processors but he 360 reads at something like 32x(i think that is what I read) while the ps3 on blue ray will only read at 2x, which means longer load times and frame rate dropping. so it looks to be a wash. the only thing the ps3 has over the 360 is if you want hd movies then the ps3 is the only way to go.
not exactly... 32x DVD gives you about 42 MB/sec. Blue ray at 2x is 72 MB/sec.

eventually higher speed blue ray drives will be in 400 MB/sec range...

I don't think the PS3 is going to be as hot as the Xbox was on ebay. I'm waiting for the Wii too, probally pick one up in january

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Lifer

I thought I was going to be able to reserve one from gamestop but they sold out of reservations before the store opened, something about anyone in the gamestop club got first dibs. I was just going to sell that one and get another later. One major plus about the PS3 is online play will be free to PS3 owners, from what I read on their site.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 09:16 PM
NES Crew

I am going to get a PS3, in a year or so.

I got the PS2 a month or so after it came out and it had lots of problems, it was still kind of buggy. I'll wait for for the bugs to get worked out of the PS3, and the price to drop to get one.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Raiden Wins

You think it's too late to reserve one?

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by def1eppard
yes
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 01:30 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
Oh I'm totally getting one. Typically I buy the games I want, and the platform doesn't matter. It just happens that 2 of my all-time favorite franchises are Nintendo (Zelda, and Metroid), with the 3rd being Final Fantasy (it was the only reason I bought a Playstation, PS2, and unless it goes multi-platform... will be the only reason I get a PS3. Though the price on the PS3 will have to come drastically down.)

What Nintendo's doing with the Wii though, actually has me excited about a particular platform... not just the games. The last time I was this excited about an upcoming console was during the SNES launch, when I actually put one on lay-away at Montgomery Ward, and put down my $20 a week lawnmowing money. Every Saturday for like 3 months until I finally paid for it. Fortunately I make a little more money now, than I did when I was 13

Quote:

Way too late. If you weren't camping out hours before Gamestop/EB opened, you were too late.

Actually, by all accounts I've seen, the Wii pre-orders at EBGameStop, were actually more insane than the PS3 pre-order. Longer lines, and only slightly more pre-order allocations per store.

It's a good think Nintendo's going to have plenty on launch day so people can just walk in a store and pick one up, regardless of pre-ordering. And launching it 2 days after the PS3, I got a feeling Nintendo's thinking they're going to get some buys from people going in to get a PS3 and rather than coming out empty handed, they can just pick up a Wii (for $250 to $350 less) and have something to play for the next 6 months or so before allocations of PS3's get somewhat to the point where they can walk into a store a buy one.

DarkWolf

Last edited by DarkWolf; 10-22-2006 at 01:36 PM.
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 01:37 PM
que?

what the big deal about the Wii? i havent been into gaming in over 3-4 years, so i'm kinda outta the loop.
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Gunga galunga

I've never been that big in to consoles but the Wii is going to be pretty damn cool because of how its moving beyond button mashing to actually interacting with games...

The controllers allow for motion control, so moves you make with your hands actually will translate to the game. Like in racing games how you find your self "turning" the whole controller, now that will actually work.

Plus nintendo IMHO has always had the funnest multiplayer games, like mario cart

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Raiden Wins

Wii Vs. Light, advantage light. JK

Hey, with all the emulation the Wii is gonna do, am I gonna have to play old NES/SNES games with the damn remote control thing?

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Trailer Park Royalty

i will get one...... then slap that bitch on ebay the week before christmas

03 cobra 450/443--2.93 upper, JLT CAI, o/r x, dumped flows, SRA w/3.73s
94 Z71-dd
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 09:37 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Wii Vs. Light, advantage light. JK

Hey, with all the emulation the Wii is gonna do, am I gonna have to play old NES/SNES games with the damn remote control thing?
Nah, they have a "classic controller" for $20, and also if you have a Gamecube you can hook up a GC controller (though I haven't yet found out if that will work with the virtual console games)

DarkWolf
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Nah, they have a "classic controller" for $20, and also if you have a Gamecube you can hook up a GC controller (though I haven't yet found out if that will work with the virtual console games)
I thought I read that it would

Its also cool that a nintendo DS will work with it wirelessly too. The way it sounds I think nintendo is going to have the hot console

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Raiden Wins

That little bugger that looks like a SNES controller?

post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 02:54 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:

That little bugger that looks like a SNES controller?
That'd be it.

From the picture it looks to be wired, but I think it's only wired into the Wiimote (on the back there's a bracket that you can't see from this picture, I think the Wiimote connects to that so it's not just dangling).

[edit]Here's the back:

Not sure if this is an actual early Nintendo design, but this shell would've been pimp:

I think the "classic controller" is also going to be used for games requiring a more traditional control scheme. I've heard rumors that Super Smash Bros. Brawl won't be using the Wiimote, but instead will retain a normal controller method. Whether or not a Gamecube controller would work for that as well, is not certain yet (I'd like to use my Wavebird, both for VC games, and games requiring traditional controls.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
I thought I read that it would
Let's hope so

DarkWolf
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 08:08 AM
Raiden Wins

Wow....Wiimote...I didn't know it was called that. Saying that makes me feel funny inside.

post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 09:21 AM
The Decent Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Not true, Microsoft is introducing an HD-DVD player attachment for the 360 in November.

I've had both Blu-ray and HD-DVD players and HD-DVD is by far and away better than blu-ray right now.
well from what I read the hd dvd drive that you can buy doesn't have hdmi output so you can't get true hd out of the movies. but they also said the the lower cost ps3 wasn't going to have it either and now they do. so we will see what happens when it comes out.
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 10:20 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Wow....Wiimote...I didn't know it was called that. Saying that makes me feel funny inside.
Not the official name, by any means. I was dissapointed by the change from Revolution to Wii... so now whenever I talk about the Wii, I look for any way to incorporate the name. It sort of makes it easier to accept the new name.

I know, I'm dork

DarkWolf
post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 11:00 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Funny that Nintendo never thought about calling their controller the Wii-mote, but the instance Geekdom saw it, the name emerged instantly.

Nintendo says there will be 4 million Wii on the market by Christmas. No reason to even bother with reserving one. No Ebay profiteering either.

post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
well from what I read the hd dvd drive that you can buy doesn't have hdmi output so you can't get true hd out of the movies. but they also said the the lower cost ps3 wasn't going to have it either and now they do. so we will see what happens when it comes out.
it does look at the pics on IGNXbox360

www.FRPsupplements.com
Nutritional Supplements for Military, Police, and Fire
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Yes, you will get true HD from movies, provided it's an HD-DVD movie. However, without HDMI, you won't be able to up-convert standard DVD's to HD. You will be able to see true HD with HD-DVD's (different from standard DVD's) with component cables. The only true need of the HDMI at this point is to up-convert standard DVD's.

I have had both blu-ray and HD-DVD and by far and away prefer HD-DVD's as of right now. Mainly because Samsung put out a very buggy POS for their first blu-ray player and it was twice the price of the first HD-DVD player.
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 11:45 AM
600 plus a few

I'll wait for a Wii. I dont want to pay nearly $100 for a game.

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 04:45 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
I'll wait for a Wii. I dont want to pay nearly $100 for a game.
Huh? Wii games are $50, tops. Some games will be released at $40, and when games hit the "best of" re-release, they'll go for $20-$30.

X360 games are $60, and PS3 games are at least $60, with a possibility they may go up to around $80.

DarkWolf
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:09 AM
600 plus a few

Quote:
Huh? Wii games are $50, tops. Some games will be released at $40, and when games hit the "best of" re-release, they'll go for $20-$30.

X360 games are $60, and PS3 games are at least $60, with a possibility they may go up to around $80.
Exactly. Im not getting a PS3, Ill wait for a Wii. I would rather not buy a PS3 game which will cost nearly $100

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:28 AM
The Decent Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Yes, you will get true HD from movies, provided it's an HD-DVD movie. However, without HDMI, you won't be able to up-convert standard DVD's to HD. You will be able to see true HD with HD-DVD's (different from standard DVD's) with component cables. The only true need of the HDMI at this point is to up-convert standard DVD's.

I have had both blu-ray and HD-DVD and by far and away prefer HD-DVD's as of right now. Mainly because Samsung put out a very buggy POS for their first blu-ray player and it was twice the price of the first HD-DVD player.
well the way it was stated it sounded like without that you can't get true hd. I don't know shit about hd, since i still don't have an hd tv. i just read alot of mags about games and that was how it was stated.
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:19 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
Exactly. Im not getting a PS3, Ill wait for a Wii. I would rather not buy a PS3 game which will cost nearly $100
Ahh my bad, I thought you were meaning you were going to hold off on getting a Wii, because you thought the games were near $100.

DarkWolf
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 01:12 PM
The Decent Guy

I will say this I do like the PS3 commerical they showed today during football.
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Banned

I'll probably get a Wii when the new Zelda comes out and if the Final Fantasy series is going multi-platform and FFXIII comes out on the 360, I'll get the 360.

I think Sony is just trying to put TOO much technology in the PS3. Sweet, the controllers have bluetooth tech....too bad the battery life is only 24 hours compared to the 360's 100+hour battery life. Honestly, when is the last time you played a videogame 50ft away from the television?
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2
I'll probably get a Wii when the new Zelda comes out and if the Final Fantasy series is going multi-platform and FFXIII comes out on the 360, I'll get the 360.

I think Sony is just trying to put TOO much technology in the PS3. Sweet, the controllers have bluetooth tech....too bad the battery life is only 24 hours compared to the 360's 100+hour battery life. Honestly, when is the last time you played a videogame 50ft away from the television?
well since they delivered this...

post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Lifer

too much money just for a damn ps3

post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 10:38 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
I'll probably get a Wii when the new Zelda comes out
You mean like, on launch day?

DarkWolf
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Do Work Son!!!!!

count me out way to much $$$$$$$$

Just another day in paradise.
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 06:38 PM
still here

Quote:

You see eBay's new rules regaurding selling things like this? All those auctions for pre-order slips were taken down,

really?

http://video-games.search.ebay.com/p...1QQsacatZ62054

and the Wii isn't coming out very cheap either:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...e=search&fgtp=

'08 CSRT-4
'06 Yamaha FZ1
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:03 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, will be out the same day the Wii is released.

http://wii.nintendo.com/software_zelda.html

It looks pretty damn good. You can use the Wii-mote to swing your sword.

http://wii.ign.com/launchguide/games.html

post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 02:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, will be out the same day the Wii is released.

http://wii.nintendo.com/software_zelda.html

It looks pretty damn good. You can use the Wii-mote to swing your sword.

http://wii.ign.com/launchguide/games.html
Dammit. That makes me want it but I probably won't have the cash until after christmas.

Maybe I'll jack my brothers game cube and just get it for that.
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:27 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
I'm getting a Wii. The PS3 is trying to do too much and as a result costs too much. Sony would have been better off not making this a technical tour de force.

I think Nintendo has read the market better than Sony. Rather than appealing ONLY to hard core games they have decided to actually try and redefine the market. One other company did exactly this and has whipped Sony's ass ever since. That company is Apple. Apple completely redefined the digital music player industry and had dominated it ever since. Sony still makes pretty good music players but they have never recovered from the Apple onslaught.

I think there is little coincidence that the Wii looks like it is an Apple product.
I second that. As I was reading your post, I actually thought "It kinda looks like an Apple product...."

And your'e right. They revolutionized the way people think of MP3 players, and blew the rest of the market away. There are better values and better products, but they're not an iPod so they're instantly seen as inferior...

Nintendo may not be the big boy in the video game industry anymore, but they've definitely got staying power. They'll always be around, short only unforeseen issues in the future. They provide the most family friendly of the platforms and I know DVD capability and HD are nice, but not the big winners when it comes down to it, just nice features. I still play my NES, and SNES, and even my N64, but my PS1 sits collecting dust, and my PS2 is literally a DVD player, and RARELY gets any gameplay, but I play my GC constantly, and so do my kids... I'll be in line for the Wii, assuming I can't get one reserved. Can't wait for NFS Carbon

1992 SHO MTX
Under Construction...
White/Black/White

1992 SHO MTX
My first SHO, and always my favorite. Totaled at less than 9 MPH. Dynomax Bullets, chip'd, Tokicos, and a few other goodies. Official parts car.

Last edited by Ferendon; 11-01-2006 at 06:28 AM.
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 11:15 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Dammit. That makes me want it but I probably won't have the cash until after christmas.

Maybe I'll jack my brothers game cube and just get it for that.
Actually... the Gamecube version doesn't come out until December 2nd. Not entirely sure why they split the release, since the Wii version is the exact same as the Gamecube version, just updated controls to use the Wiimote.

Only thing I can think, and this is probably the reason, is they know how much anticipation this game has. They also know how much anticipation the Wii has. Release the Wii version as a launch title, and that spells instant success. Then a couple weeks later, throw the people still riding the fence about the Wii a bone with the Gamecube version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferendon
I'll be in line for the Wii, assuming I can't get one reserved.
If the reports are true, that Nintendo has 7-9 million units already produced and ready for launch... assuming they do an even split between North America, Japan, and European allocations, that's 2.3 to 3 million units at launch, per market.

Comparatively, the PS3 might have 400,000 in North America, and 100,000 in Japan. They've recently lowered that estimate yet again, but didn't release any expected numbers. (this is reduced from their initial projections that they'll have 6 million units shipped by end of fiscal year 2006 (march 2007)... that number dropped to 4 million, then 2 million by the end of the year (2006)... then 400,000 / 100,000 above... and now an unknown but apparently even fewer consoles available.)

More than likely... unless it's an instant sell-out which isn't likely, but would be kind of humorous to see the Wii have more sales in it's first month than the 360's had all year... but I digress, more than likely you'll be able to walk into most major retail outlets on launch day, and pick up a Wii without the need for a pre-order.

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement