Itunes? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Itunes?

i am downloading all of my cds (over 250) to itunes and i was wondering if i can share them with friends or anything? not them coming to my house and hooking up to my comp but by the net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 11:58 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I don't think that there's any app that does this, short of setting up some sort of streaming server on your computer (like Shoutcast).

You can share your iTunes library/playlists/smart playlists over a local network through iTunes, and anyone on that can listen to your tunes, but internet sharing isn't an option.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
I don't think that there's any app that does this, short of setting up some sort of streaming server on your computer (like Shoutcast).

You can share your iTunes library/playlists/smart playlists over a local network through iTunes, and anyone on that can listen to your tunes, but internet sharing isn't an option.
oh ok well that is way over my head...my cousin has like 4000 songs and we were going to trade... i will have approx 2500 when i get done... but oh well... worth a try

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

ok i just found out that you can do it
ive got the secret
lol
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 07:44 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

it would be a LOT easier getting a 1gb flash drive and moving them 1gb at a time

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Time Served

if you go to the ipodlounge.com you can find some software on there that allows you to connect to someone else's computer and get their music. You have to have their IP address, but it can be done. Also, if you have or feel like downloading PCAnywhere you can share files as well. Again, you have to have eachother's IP addresses. Depending on how fast your connection is these options could take a really long time. It usually takes me the better part of a day to download 1GB from the internet and you are talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5 GB.

Nick
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
it would be a LOT easier getting a 1gb flash drive and moving them 1gb at a time

not when you have 30g of music
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Bite Me!!!

so get a 30g external drive and save some headache.. or turn on harddrive support on an ipod and be done with it....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Stang U
so get a 30g external drive and save some headache.. or turn on harddrive support on an ipod and be done with it....
No shit, apparently no one realizes you can use the ipod to transfer files.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50
No shit, apparently no one realizes you can use the ipod to transfer files.
yeah thats what i found out .... i also have a 100g external hard drive that i have all my itunes on and stuff... so it shouldnt be that hard
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 11:40 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningracing
yeah thats what i found out .... i also have a 100g external hard drive that i have all my itunes on and stuff... so it shouldnt be that hard
Same here, I have a 150gb with itunes, and all my music, videos, ipod video files, etc.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Very Interesting

anapod manager

have him bring his ipod over, and copy his music... walla

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:52 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Ok, see you didn't say you could just have him come over or you go over there and trade via hdd transfer or whatever. You wanted to do it over the internet, and that's just not possible with iTunes. There are p2p programs you could set up, or you could set up an ftp server. Things of that nature.

There's even an extension for Firefox called AllPeers that will allow you to straight transfer files. You could share your music folder to your friends, and they can browse and download your songs at leisure. If they share their music folder out as well, then you could do the same with their collection.

I was initially under the impression that you wanted a way for them to be able to listen to your music, not actually copy it from your system to theirs.

DarkWolf
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Ok, see you didn't say you could just have him come over or you go over there and trade via hdd transfer or whatever. You wanted to do it over the internet, and that's just not possible with iTunes. There are p2p programs you could set up, or you could set up an ftp server. Things of that nature.

There's even an extension for Firefox called AllPeers that will allow you to straight transfer files. You could share your music folder to your friends, and they can browse and download your songs at leisure. If they share their music folder out as well, then you could do the same with their collection.

I was initially under the impression that you wanted a way for them to be able to listen to your music, not actually copy it from your system to theirs.
yea i want to be able to copy theirs and them copy mine without them having to drive 4 hours bringing their ipod to me...i have no idea how to set up an ftp server or i would...thanks for all the info and anymore suggestions are appreciated
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 06:35 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I would say the easiest way would probably to install the AllPeers extension for Firefox (that is, if you and they are using Firefox). It works kind of like an instant messenger. You set up a list of friends, and then you choose which friends have access to what data on your computer.

http://www.allpeers.com/

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement