Would this thing be worth a damn for gaming? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Would this thing be worth a damn for gaming?

Opinions on this setup for gaming? I'm looking to stay under $900 but I want something that is going to perform fairly well. I want to be able to add more RAM later and upgrade to better video cards as they improve. I mainly play real time strategy games and role playing type games. I don't really care for first person shooters at all.

The machine I have at home is an E-machines 1997 model that is 550 Mhz with a 64MB PCi slot video card. I paid about $700 for it new. The newest game I have played on it is Neverwinter Nights and at times it got pretty slow. Obviously it is old as shit. I want this thing to be just like that. I don't want to be buying a new computer in three years. I'd like to be able to use the hell out of it for about 5 years and then throw it away and get another. I'm one of those guys who buys on the edge of the technology curve...the back side of the curve. LOL

Catalog Number: 29 DDCWAA3
Module Description Show Details
Dimension E520 Pentium® D Processor 915 with Dual Core Technology (2.8GHz, 800FSB)
Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
Memory 512MB Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 1DIMM
Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard and Dell 2-button Scroll Mouse
Monitor 19 inch E196FP Analog Flat Panel
Video Cards 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache
Hard Drives 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Floppy Drive and Media Reader No Floppy Drive Included
Mouse Mouse included in Wireless, Laser or Bluetooth Package
Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Modem 56K PCI Data Fax Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
CD or DVD Drive 16x DVD+/-RW Drive
Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Bundle No productivity suite- Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
Security Software No Security Subscription
Warranty and Service 1Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service
Internet Access Service 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service and Support
Future Operating Systems Windows Vista™ Capable
Dell Digital Entertainment No preinstalled software

TOTAL:$779.00 including shipping, tax and all that shit. One year warranty.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Lifer

That's kind of expensive for those stats. I think you could do better.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
That's kind of expensive for those stats. I think you could do better.
Any ideas where? Fry's doesn't have shit on their site. So I may go look there.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Lifer

http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/A...vid=2519&type= here's the latest ad from Yesterday from Fry's on the DMN.

Here's another site: www.frys-electronics-ads.com

Or, you could check out www.tigerdirect.com or www.newegg.com - locally though, Fry's would be your best bet most of the time.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:36 PM

Try this....
www.pricewatch.com
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Lifer

Here's a pretty good deal at Fry's, it beats your one above and it's a little cheaper, with much better stats.

http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/A...13474865&type=
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Lifer

You could also get one of the clearance PC's from Fry's, they're pretty good deals and just buy a decent video card and be out for under $600 total..

Wait and check with DMN shows tommorrow, Fry's normally puts out a new special each Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

This is a pretty good deal. Pick this one up, spend about $150 on a decent video card and you'll be set for what you want to do for quite a while..

http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/A...13474868&type=
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Here's a pretty good deal at Fry's, it beats your one above and it's a little cheaper, with much better stats.

http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/A...13474865&type=

Honestly, this is not a better deal. No monitor and no mention of what video card so its either integrated into the mb or its a cheapie....

Al, if you want a nice system thats going to have a decent lifespan(especially to play cutting edge games) I'd pick the parts separately and build the machine yourself. A video card isnt just a video card and memory isnt just memory, etc... For gaming, I'd say your major concern as far as picking top-of-the-line parts would be the video card. A good mobo is important, as is memory(a lot of it) and processor but the video card is where it's at and will allow you to play future games as well as make the games of today look top notch. Keep in mind, a lot of vid cards out there will play most games but only a handful will let you play the best games at the highest of settings which is ideally what you want.
Ed

fyi - an sli mobo will allow you to buy one killer vid card now and add a second identical one later(when the price drops for new tech) to give your system a nice boost as tech requirements increase.

fyi2 - If gaming is a main concern, I'd definitely go with an AMD processor. They are the gamers choice and can be overclocked if you need a speed boost. Dual processor isn't 100% necessary now but will be the standard sooner than later.

Last edited by EatYurZ; 10-12-2006 at 06:57 PM.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Lifer

A couple of decent options from Tigerdirect.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...224160&CatId=0

This is a pretty decent deal:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...224167&CatId=0
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Lifer

I agree with getting machine built. I didn't see the fact that it came with a monitor, it's not a great monitor, but I guess it makes it a decent deal. You can normally pick-up 17"-19" lcd monitor's from fry's for $119-$179.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:00 PM

Grant, it's all in what you're looking for. Like everything else, all monitors aren't equal. For gaming, I'd choose something around 8ms in a lcd. My Samsung 930b for example is 19"/8ms and is recommended for gaming. If the refresh is too slow you will lose a lot depending on how fast the action is in the games you play.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Lifer

You're correct - I was comparing my recommendations on the monitor he listed above.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

The monitor is important to me too since the one I have is a 15" one from a few years back. It's not even a flat screen.

Given that the video card is the most important thing, is there any reason why I couldn't just keep upgrading the video cards in any of these machines. I know the speed of the processor is limited by bus speeds but in general, can't you just keep upgrading the card as you go along?

Also, why are some of the newer boards only available with PCI slots? I remember for a while all the good cards were AGP slot only but now a lot of the motherboards I see only have PCI. Is there a PCI slot that is somehow better than the AGP.

I didn't really want to build a machine because I just didn't want to fuck with it. Not only that but I have limited skills with windows and all that shit. I can put the hardware together all day long but when it comes to the software I can't do jack shit.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:37 PM
NES Crew

Tiger Direct is teh suxors.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:44 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
The monitor is important to me too since the one I have is a 15" one from a few years back. It's not even a flat screen.

Given that the video card is the most important thing, is there any reason why I couldn't just keep upgrading the video cards in any of these machines. I know the speed of the processor is limited by bus speeds but in general, can't you just keep upgrading the card as you go along?

Also, why are some of the newer boards only available with PCI slots? I remember for a while all the good cards were AGP slot only but now a lot of the motherboards I see only have PCI. Is there a PCI slot that is somehow better than the AGP.

I didn't really want to build a machine because I just didn't want to fuck with it. Not only that but I have limited skills with windows and all that shit. I can put the hardware together all day long but when it comes to the software I can't do jack shit.
They came out with PCI-express :-o
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:

To clarify, the video card is important but only to the extent that something else isnt a bottleneck. What I said was assuming you were using up to date technology with the rest of the components - just not the best of each that is available. Your average single core 2.5 ghz machine is not the fastest on the block but with a gig of ram and a killer geforce 7800gt will play anything out there.

PCI is still in use for peripherals but the video card transition went from pci to agp to pci express - the newest standard. Soon you will only find pci express mobos.

Building is the way to go...plenty of people on here do it all the time, myself included. Software-wise, throw windows on it and go.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 08:03 PM

Give this a read. Its in the ballpark of what you are trying to accomplish. Keep in mind that it is over a year old so you can get more for your money and tech has changed a bit. Its also a great site in general.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/10/14/the_/
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 08:19 PM

meh i find 2.4ghz+ processor and 3200+ ram is good enough + a decent video card. its all player from there. if ya suck dont blame the computer!
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 08:24 PM

Anyway...

If you don't want to spend $$$ on the 7800 series of nvidia cards, this is your next bet and a great deal to boot....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814122209R
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Hey Al... dunno if you are willing to..but build one. Heres the specs for the computer I just built (built 2 of them for the office)

P4 3.0GHZ w/ Asus mobo and fan $150
1gb 3200 DDR ram $129 + $100 mail in rebate
300 gig Western Digital SerialATA Hard drive $99 - $10 mail in rebate
DVD burner - $40
Case w/ 450w power supply $35
Microsoft Wireless keyboard/mouse - $30
Acer 19" Wide Flatscreen (LCD) $200
Radeon 9XXX 256mb Video card $50

Total = $733... then take out rebates later on, price is $623

All those prices were shipped to the house. You could upgrade on the video card and buy a genuine copy of windows if you want and be under $900 after rebates...

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Any ideas where? Fry's doesn't have shit on their site. So I may go look there.
forget frys go with newegg.com best damn site to get your comp harware. anything adn everything you want.

96 1500 2wd SLT Laramie Regular cab short bed 5.9L

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Time Served

when i made my comp i spent over 2000 bucks but it was right when everything new came out.

this is what id go with

asus mobo 100 bucks or higher

intel core duo 2.13 ghz and oc it to 2.4? 220 bucks

memory 2 512 dual channel corsair 120 bucks

video card x800 or up 150 and up

hard drive 160 gig 7200 rpm 8 mb cache 3.0gb sata 60 bucks

then your dvd drive or w.e 40 bucks and up

total: 700 w/o case and the little things.

if your worried about heat then get a big ass case if not then get a mid tower. that all is a personall decison

this machine will kick some major ass if you ask me.

all this was found on newegg.com

96 1500 2wd SLT Laramie Regular cab short bed 5.9L

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatYurZ
To clarify, the video card is important but only to the extent that something else isnt a bottleneck. What I said was assuming you were using up to date technology with the rest of the components - just not the best of each that is available. Your average single core 2.5 ghz machine is not the fastest on the block but with a gig of ram and a killer geforce 7800gt will play anything out there.

PCI is still in use for peripherals but the video card transition went from pci to agp to pci express - the newest standard. Soon you will only find pci express mobos.

Building is the way to go...plenty of people on here do it all the time, myself included. Software-wise, throw windows on it and go.
The $500 article is a great read. And building a machine is starting to make sense. I could buy a new monitor later. I also already have a 120 gig hard drive that I added to the machine I have. That would work as a hard drive for now meaning less cash out of pocket.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
The $500 article is a great read. And building a machine is starting to make sense. I could buy a new monitor later. I also already have a 120 gig hard drive that I added to the machine I have. That would work as a hard drive for now meaning less cash out of pocket.
shoot...if you are using that 120gig as your main hd, then you dont even have to reinstall everything... but, if you are using it, time to start clean

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
shoot...if you are using that 120gig as your main hd, then you dont even have to reinstall everything... but, if you are using it, time to start clean
No, it is just an auxiliary. I do have a copy of Windows 98 though....but fuck I don't want to run that old shit. I need to just bite the bullet and get XP.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 08:29 AM

dude, why dont you try considering building your own machine? its alot more work involved but you can build a bad azz machine for probably less than $500. If you dont feel like messin with it i understand, but i have not bought a pre-made PC in over 10 years. all my shits custom nigga!

if you decide to go the route of custom building,

I would check out first saturday computer sale... its the first saturday of every month.

http://www.sidewalksale.com

you can find unbeleivable deals there sometimes on new/used parts.

just my 2 cents...
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 08:57 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
No, it is just an auxiliary. I do have a copy of Windows 98 though....but fuck I don't want to run that old shit. I need to just bite the bullet and get XP.
I'd wait until January and get an OEM copy of Vista with a new PC.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
check your PM's

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRiTEK
dude, why dont you try considering building your own machine? its alot more work involved but you can build a bad azz machine for probably less than $500. If you dont feel like messin with it i understand, but i have not bought a pre-made PC in over 10 years. all my shits custom nigga!

if you decide to go the route of custom building,

I would check out first saturday computer sale... its the first saturday of every month.

http://www.sidewalksale.com

you can find unbeleivable deals there sometimes on new/used parts.

just my 2 cents...
man..I forgot all about those first saturday sales. Its been 6 years or so since I have gone to one

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP

One thing I'd mention about this is right now with XP you need a minimum of 512mb memory and 1gig for the current top-end games. Generally, Vista recommendations on-line are 1gig for the operating system so you'd be realistically looking at 2gig(as 1 1/2 is an odd amount) for current top-end games. Either plan on buying extra memory or stick with XP for the next year. I for one will not be in a hurry to mass-beta test Windows newest incarnation. Get yourself a cheap copy of XP Pro on ebay and upgrade to sp2. Everything out there is designed for XP so you will not be behind the curve until the mainstream converts to Vista. Again, you probably have a year.

By the way, make sure that your decisions are forward thinking. For instance, buy a SLI mobo(allows dual video cards if identical) and a brand-name, quality, higher-end video card from the likes of Leadtek(6600gt/6800gt or better) or such so that when it comes time to boost the system you can get another identical video card and extend your pc's useful lifespan on the cheap(price will have come down drastically as tech moves forward). Even if you do not get a dual core processor, make sure the mobo supports it so you can upgrade later. FYI - not only is AMD the gamers choice for processors, its also a better value than Intel. Generally, an AMD chip advertised as 3000+ means although it runs slower clock speeds(2.4 ghz or so..) than it's intel counterpart, it performs similarly to 3.0ghz. 3000=3.0 intel, 3500=3.5 intel, etc...

Also, AMD and Intel have slimmed-down value processors and full featured processors at the same speeds so make sure to buy the higher end one. For example, Intel has Celeron and Pentium lines of similar speeds. Celeron is good for those who want to surf the web and type in Word but Pentium is the workhorse for more agressive applications. I'd recommend an AMD Athlon 64 or 64 dual-core. If you go the cost effective route, I'd get a 3800+ Athlon 64($100 newegg) and then you can upgrade later when needed. If money allows, you could go with this - AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6GHz Socket 939 $189 - it was designed for 3d gaming and would fly.

For an AMD chip, you want to go with a socket 939 mobo or the new am2 socket that uses ddr2(costs more but somewhat faster).
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Theres software call Acronis Migrate Easy. Simplest software I've used to move the contents of 1 drive to another and repartition for new drive size. Basically, it allows you to move your operating system and files to a new drive and go. Very, very easy to use. If you decide to build I can make you a copy.
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Very Interesting

if he's running windows 98, it's very easy for him to just load XP on his current drive as an upgrade, then sysprep it. Take it out of the old computer and put it in the new one, it will rediscover all drivers, etc of the new pc, and WALLA.

Just don't activate XP until it's on the new PC.

Al, hit me up if you want some help putting a machine together, I may even have a copy of XP Pro you can have. Hell if you get 64bit processor, I know I have a copy of XP Pro for 64 bit processors, in fact I have 10 licenses

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 09:53 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Why would anyone want that piece of shit infecting their computer?

XP is going to be all you need for gaming for the forseeable future. Game companies won't switch to DX10 exclusively until enough gamers are running Vista. If gamers weren't such sheep, and refused to downgrade to Vista, game developers would never switch to requireing DX10... hell, they might even start putting more effort into OpenGL support, and that would make developing games cross-platform a helluva lot easier. Sure OpenGL is a little behind the curve for gaming technology, but it currently can do almost everything DX9 can do, and it's constantly evolving. If more gamers would demand it, more develpers would use it and more development would go into it to make it better faster... being an open standard, you're not subject to Microsoft's whims when it comes to updates and adding new features.

OpenGL support would also mean more games for Linux and OSX, fewer to no Windows exclusives. Good for everyone, and you don't have to sacrifice ownership of your machine to Microsoft by infesting it with Vista.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement