Would this work for a cheap gaming computer? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn

Would this work for a cheap gaming computer?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...4&CMP=OTC-Ms8n

I used to have an Acer probably 10 years ago and never had any problems with it. My current Dell is 4 years old and I'm wanting to update so I can play Flight Sim X. I want to upgrade my computer, but it'd require a new video card ($170), power supply ($75), hard drive ($75), and RAM ($50), and even then I feel I'd be behind due to the old processor. My current setup is:

Pentium4 2.26 ghz
768 MB RAM
40 gig HD
GeForce FX5700

I was thinking of getting something like that Acer, adding more RAM ($50) and a video card ($170). So is it worth it to look at a computer like this instead of upgrading mine? Is my Dell even worth upgrading since the "mobo" and processor are so outdated?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Time Served

I would probably wait a few more months.Once everyone starts jumping on the intel conroe banwagon the pentium d prices are going to jump even further down !
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Time Served

For the price of the Acer plus extra RAM and video card you could build a better system easily and it be upgradeable anytime in the future. You would also end up with better quality parts than you are getting in that Acer.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:37 AM
duh...duh....duh

I concur with everyone else.

1. 533mhz FSB is pathetic. The minimum standard is 800mhz, but 2ghz is preferred.
2. The RAM is quite low.
3. The video in it is poor. Intergrated video typically = sucks.
4. No PCI-E slots.

For equal money or slightly more you can resolve all 4 issues. I would not pay 500 dollars for a 2.6ghz, 512 RAM, no PCI-E, crap video computer....especially for gaming. I'm floored by the FSB on it as well. That's so 5 years ago.

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 12:38 PM
600 plus a few

Pick up an AMD processor, 939 or AM2 socket. Everone is so stupidly hyped up about the Intel Core Duo, the AMDs are getting cheap. My processor used to cost $800, i picked it up for just over $300 to my door.

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Fuck, I don't want to end up spending $1000 to play a $50 game. Looks like I'll just not get the game

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 05:44 PM
El Camino

welcome to the world of pc gaming.

I'm riding my box out for a bit longer for the same reason

AMD64 2800
1gb ram
evga 6600GT 128mb

I've got a nice 5.1 speaker setup and the Antec P180 case so I'll just have to do board, cpu, ram, and video.

I've got a server box too thats a 3100 sempron 1gb ram, frys mobo, and an old vid card.

For the stuff I play it works fine and I've got a 250gb in my pc and a 160gb and a 250gb in my server.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Time Served

I'm still rockin the P4 1.8a Ghz, non-HT, 512 PC2100 (supposed to be 2700 but my mobo doesn't support 2700 on a 400 FSB, and I don't wanna waste the money to go to a 533 FSB... Overclock anyone?). Just got a FX6200, AGP 4x (due to the board, again) and an SB Live! 5.1. Wife has a Sempron 2600, Geforce 6100 on board 64MB (non-adjustable >_<) and onboard sound lol. I have a degree in IT Computer Network Systems, and I have 2 shitty PCs lol. I think I'm gonna let procs simmer on the market a bit before upgrading, because prices are gonna plummet, and new technology will be here from AMD to beat the Core2Duo, I assure you. Same with video cars, ATI and nVidia are well aware of what the other is producing, and are working on something bigger and badder. I worked at Fry's and Best Buy for about 3 years combined and watched it go on CONSTANTLY.

1992 SHO MTX
Under Construction...
White/Black/White

1992 SHO MTX
My first SHO, and always my favorite. Totaled at less than 9 MPH. Dynomax Bullets, chip'd, Tokicos, and a few other goodies. Official parts car.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Fuck, I don't want to end up spending $1000 to play a $50 game. Looks like I'll just not get the game
And again, welcome to the world of computer gaming !

1992 SHO MTX
Under Construction...
White/Black/White

1992 SHO MTX
My first SHO, and always my favorite. Totaled at less than 9 MPH. Dynomax Bullets, chip'd, Tokicos, and a few other goodies. Official parts car.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 12:54 PM
duh...duh....duh

Yeah, it does not pay to be brand loyal when it comes to building a gaming PC. With video cards, some people like one brand due to the drivers. That's why I use Omega drivers, that way I can still just get the best card for the money/time.

Also, for the original poster, you don't need to spend 1000 dollars. If you're willing to spend 500, for a bit more you can be rocking a respectable machine. You just have to put all the parts together.

My '03 Sold.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Time Served

Omega drivers are nice, and fortunately supported by both ATI and nVidia. The problem is, he's an independent, and makes no money on them. When the new Forceware drivers come out, it's month before he gets his version out. Brand has nothing to do with drivers, as far as the card goes, it's all about the VPU for drivers. And each brand of card is not equal. PNY is one of your better brands, and it shows in the price. BFG is a bad ass product for a very reasonable price, and a killer warranty, as well as an upgrade program (trade-ins though them). Best thing you can do is research. Don't ask the guys at the store, they're gonna sell what pays the best commissions. 3dguru.com and many other websites review everything under the sun. Not to mention on tigerdirect.com or newegg.com you can get hardware a couple steps back from top of the line, that's still BAD ASS for very reasonable prices. I've seen (way back when...) the AMD64 3800+ for $329 (I believe...) and the 3200+ was just over $100, same core, and with the right board, cooling system and memory could be easily ran as a 3800+ or higher with good stability. I've had my P4 1.8 up to 2.7 with stock cooling and only went up 3deg Celsius, and no stability issues. I just wish that AGP 4x/8x O/C could be made, but it would require a BIOS flash, some circuitry work, and a hell of a tweak, as it's not just a software difference. eVGA is also another brand that's well-versed in hardware that many people have never heard of. They make a good product for a reasonable price, and 3DFuzion is not far away either. I'd recommend a GDDR3 card if you're gonna go big, and stear away from AGP as it's pushing obsolete...

1992 SHO MTX
Under Construction...
White/Black/White

1992 SHO MTX
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 01:54 PM
duh...duh....duh

Pushing obsolete? Most places won't even review/benchmark/acknowledge AGP cards anymore. When I say brand, I generally speak of ATI vs Nvidia. That's where you start. Once you realize who has the better base then you can start looking deeping into BFG vs eVGA (you're right, they are not bad and often offer cards the others don't) vs the slew of others.

OC'ing and firmware flashes are common ways to get a high end product at a low end price. My 9800 pro is not really a 9800 pro. Just flashed and oc'ed.

If I were going big these days I'd simply pick a pair of decent Nvidia cards and use SLI.

With any luck ATI and AMD will really help each other out. I just hope that not prorpietary non-upgradeable stuff comes out of it. It would really suck if they made a combo that was 25% or more - better then anything out there, but was not upgradeable. Hopefully, in general, the major players will stay away from that these days.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 01:55 PM
El Camino

I've had great luck with my eVGA 6600GT AGP and its my last agp card. I'll run it till I can afford a new box.

I'm also another good example of an IT person with not the latest hardware but I have two 2.8+ ghz pcs of my own, a 2.0 laptop the wife uses and a 2.0 for the kids.

Along with numerous spare P3 range stuff in the garage that I have yet to give up on

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Time Served

AMD is Nvidia rely on customer's being able to upgrade. If it's a packaged deal it's gonna be more expensive. Upgrading a part is cheaper than the whole. If you can't upgrade a part, you're pigeon holed... Why would they do that to themselves? I personally won't touch an ATI product. Too many bad experiences, and spent too much time working returns watching ATI cards come back useless and burnt. If you're gonna go ATI don't go with an "Authorized Solution Provider". ATI only. Kaser and brands like that often use cheap ass cooling systems, that are noisy and VERY unreliable. ATI hasn't always whored they chips out the way they do now, and they're pretty open about who can use it. Nvidia on the other hand is a bit pickier and therefore their ASP are often alot better. ATI's driver support is less frequent, and they have alot of revisions of the same driver. Back in the day though, the ATI Rage Pro 128 was THE SHIT!

1992 SHO MTX
Under Construction...
White/Black/White

1992 SHO MTX
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 02:26 PM
duh...duh....duh

I guess that's where I differ from most. I've seen posts like yours for each name brand. I personally had good experiences with both brands.

drivers...again, I just stick with what works, which are the Omega drivers. Right now though, Nvidia owns the market. So, if I were upgrading today I'd buy Intel/Nvidia.

My '03 Sold.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Ok then can someone make some suggestions on how to build a decent gaming computer at a decent price? I originally was going to just upgrade the power supply, RAM, HD, and video card on my current Dell but I'm not sure if the processor would be good enough when all is said and done.

I've read about SLI and all that shit but that'd put me well above how much I'm wanting to spend here. I'm really set on the nVidia 7600GT because it seems to be the best bang for the buck mid-priced card. I don't need a big HD because I don't have shit on my computer, but I'd need atleast 80gig or so since the game alone takes up 14gig.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Gunga galunga

My system was fine, until I upgraded to a 20.1 WS LCD.
abit LC7 max3 mobo (good OC'n board)
3.0 pressy running at 3.3 on air, was planning on water, but never got around to it.
2gigs corsair low latency
Radeon 9700pro, firm ware update, and OC'd

With the new monitor i went to a 1680x1050 resolution and my FPS dropped alot! Still looks beautiful though...

So If want to get a nice video card I will need a new mobo, for PCIe. If i get a new mobo, I will get a new processor.... its a violent chain

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Time Served

If you are trying to conserve money then right now an AMD Athlon 64 single core is by far the best deal out there and then followed by the X2. The Intel Duo Core is the best performing chip out there right now which has driven the AMD prices down significantly. You can get a spectacular deal on a motherboard/cpu combo from Fry's if you watch the adds. Todays ad has a X2 4200 and motheboard combo for $199 which is a hell of a deal. The 7600GT is a very good card for the money and should do just fine.

Last edited by dmh165638; 09-30-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement