Testing Video Card Performance? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Testing Video Card Performance?

Is there any free program I can use to check the performance of my video card?

I'm having problems playing Black Hawk Down on my 4 year old computer. I've been playing this game forever (like 3 years now) and recently I'm having problems with frame rates lagging real bad and it's been going on for two days now.

I blew out the case this morning off lint and dust and added a 512MB stick of RAM (now only a meager total of 1GB RAM) I've had laying around forever thinking that might help but I'm sill having the same problems.

I know I need to buy a new computer for gaming as this one is old and the video card is severely out of date. But I'm still recovering from buying the MacBook and a new Desktop is a few months away. My computer has played BHD with no problems all this time so I'm wondering if the card is just getting worn out or not.

Guess I could check it by playing off line and see how it plays and maybe run a speed test. But I would still like to run some system test on my computer to see how it's performing. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Raiden Wins

I haven't been into gaming much lately, but as far as I know everyone still uses 3dMark to test their shit. I don't know how good the free version is compared to the pay version, but you can try it out.

http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark06/

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 03:13 AM

Sounds like the memory could be bad, or try updating the video drivers if you've done so recently try using an older version of the video drivers. If you still have problems send me a PM I build computers I can get it to work. Also selling a computer for $350.00 if interrested its very nice.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 03:42 AM
600 plus a few

first check task manager to see if you have anything running to slow it down. second, have you updated the drivers for the card recently? if not, give that a shot. what kind of card is it BTW? The memory on a video card can go bad, but that is very uncommon.

do what you suggested to yourself and test it in singleplayer, it could just be your internet connection as well if its only lagging in multiplayer. check your ping too

basically what you have to think is at about what time did it start slowing down, and is there anything, even the smallest thing, that you changed at around that time?

me for instance, I had an AMD 3200+ and upgraded to a 4800+ X2 dual core. I hadnt played BF2 until a few days after i got the processor, and then about a day later i started encountering a problem staying connected to servers. it wouldnt lock up the game or crash, it would just disconnect and kick me to the main menu. this started happening after i installed the 1.4 patch so i immediately blamed that. but after about 2 minutes worth of research I learned that BF2 doesnt like running on dual cores, so now every time I start it up I have to set it to run on one core. who would think that upgrading a processor would cause you to continually lose connection to a server?

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
first check task manager to see if you have anything running to slow it down. second, have you updated the drivers for the card recently? if not, give that a shot. what kind of card is it BTW? The memory on a video card can go bad, but that is very uncommon.

do what you suggested to yourself and test it in singleplayer, it could just be your internet connection as well if its only lagging in multiplayer. check your ping too

basically what you have to think is at about what time did it start slowing down, and is there anything, even the smallest thing, that you changed at around that time?

me for instance, I had an AMD 3200+ and upgraded to a 4800+ X2 dual core. I hadnt played BF2 until a few days after i got the processor, and then about a day later i started encountering a problem staying connected to servers. it wouldnt lock up the game or crash, it would just disconnect and kick me to the main menu. this started happening after i installed the 1.4 patch so i immediately blamed that. but after about 2 minutes worth of research I learned that BF2 doesnt like running on dual cores, so now every time I start it up I have to set it to run on one core. who would think that upgrading a processor would cause you to continually lose connection to a server?
Yeah, I dont care what the reviews say I always trust ATI products over the competition they have a better level of detail.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:52 AM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarva
Yeah, I dont care what the reviews say I always trust ATI products over the competition they have a better level of detail.

what does that have to do with bottle rocket's post?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:55 AM
dead

my bet is you have some programs running in the background that you didnt have before.

START -> Run
type "msconfig" and hit OK
go to the startup tab, and see what programs are loading up on your computer.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 08:04 AM
duh...duh....duh

1. Use Omega drivers for whatever card you have.
2. Benchmark using 3dmark*
3. Check out msconfig

Basically a reiteration of all listed above. As far as what video card is best? Hard to tell for you. I'm not video card brand biased. All my machines have ATI card, but the latest AGP card that is best is Nvidia based. The latest PCI-E cards that are best, are Nvidia. Right now I'd buy Nvidia. Benchmarks, done various ways, are the only way to subjectively evaluate a video card.

My '03 Sold.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 12:59 PM
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
1. Use Omega drivers for whatever card you have.
2. Benchmark using 3dmark*
3. Check out msconfig

Basically a reiteration of all listed above. As far as what video card is best? Hard to tell for you. I'm not video card brand biased. All my machines have ATI card, but the latest AGP card that is best is Nvidia based. The latest PCI-E cards that are best, are Nvidia. Right now I'd buy Nvidia. Benchmarks, done various ways, are the only way to subjectively evaluate a video card.
You cant go wrong with either brand really. Im biased towards NVidia just because they have had better driver for a long time. ATI is finally getting their act together, though.

Benchmarks, however, are not totally dependent on the video card, even if you are only running 3D Mark. A computer with a 3400+ AMD, 2 gigs of 2700 and a 7800GT will score lower than a 4800+ X2, 2gigs of 3200 and a 7800GT. 3D mark just tests your computer's ability to process graphics. Yes, the video card does change that considerably, but every other part in the PC makes a difference as well.

Jose, have you tried running hijack_this.exe? download it and run it. DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING! Save a logfile and post it here. Ill check it out

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:24 PM
duh...duh....duh

I would not let drivers be a deciding factor. I use the Omega drivers these days. Just google omega drivers....good for nvidia and ATI cards...typically better then vendor drivers and I've only seen them jack up 1 machine.

My '03 Sold.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 07:09 PM
600 plus a few

Jose, can you give us details on your system setup? include what cardbus your vid card is

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

I'll post some system specs when I get home. I had downloaded the Benchmark test before I left but didn't get a chance to run it. I have an old copy of Sisoft Sandra that I've been running some test on my computer on and one of the things that's got me worried is a warning of excessive processor temperatures. Also on the processor benchmarks it's rating my P4 2.5 GHz slower than 1.5 GHz processors

Thanks for all the help guys

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

OK, I'm running an HP 854n with an Nvidia Geforce4 MX440 with 128 MB DDR memory and TV-Out, 1 GB RAM, P4 2.53 GHz, and WinXP Media Center.

For some reason I I could not run the 3DMark's test. It said I needed the full version

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 01:00 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
OK, I'm running an HP 854n with an Nvidia Geforce4 MX440 with 128 MB DDR memory and TV-Out, 1 GB RAM, P4 2.53 GHz, and WinXP Media Center.

For some reason I I could not run the 3DMark's test. It said I needed the full version
I seem to recall my buddy having that problem too. He bought it...

However, you're in the same boat as me. It really is pointless to run 3dmark06 - search for 3dmark01 or the other one. 06 has too many features that your card won't support. The problem is, with a benchmark you need a reference point. You have none. The best you can hope for is to test it now, try to fix the problem, and retest to see if it fixes anything.

Also, here are those drivers I swear by...

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Yeah, they are mod'ed drivers - but I've never had anything but good luck with them. They are mod'ed to good things though, not bad.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
I seem to recall my buddy having that problem too. He bought it...

However, you're in the same boat as me. It really is pointless to run 3dmark06 - search for 3dmark01 or the other one. 06 has too many features that your card won't support. The problem is, with a benchmark you need a reference point. You have none. The best you can hope for is to test it now, try to fix the problem, and retest to see if it fixes anything.

Also, here are those drivers I swear by...

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Yeah, they are mod'ed drivers - but I've never had anything but good luck with them. They are mod'ed to good things though, not bad.

Take care,
Thanks. I'll Look for the 01 version of 3dmark this afternoon when I get in from work and I'll give those drivers a try as well.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Well after a weekend of messing around with this thing. It turns out the problem was with my connection. I was getting some terrible connections with Time Warner Cable. Got home tonight and checked the speed and it was back up to normal and so was my game play

But this has me thinking, I need to pull off my CPU heat sink and probably my power supply and blow it clear of dust

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement