Is anybody running a modified version of Windows XP? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Is anybody running a modified version of Windows XP?

Or do you know somebody who is?
I am just curious to know if anybody who frequents this website is edumucated enough to modify it and use it successfully.
Or is this something that is frequently done .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Use Firefox and use http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/whyuse.php to update windows.

I can't post the URLs to Kill WGA

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Well actually, i am talking about a heavily modified version. As in totally gutted, all "tracers" removed, all drivers installed. An XP operating system that moves VERY fast.
Is that what the link above does in retrospect?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICORN
Well actually, i am talking about a heavily modified version. As in totally gutted, all "tracers" removed, all drivers installed. An XP operating system that moves VERY fast.
Is that what the link above does in retrospect?
Good reasons to use WindizUpdate

No personally identifiable information is collected from your computer.
No more unwanted spyware -- Microsoft Internet Explorer can finally be removed from your computer (if that were possible).
It lists just the updates you need. If an update has been superceded by a newer one, it will not ask you to install the older one.
Using enhanced data from MBSA, WindizUpdate will find more security patches needed for your O/S than the "other" website.
If there is a security issue with a component that is not yet installed, it will not ask you to update it. For example, if you have not installed hyperterminal, it will not update it.
It is not restricted to just Microsoft products. Software from other vendors can also be updated.
Upgrading to the latest version of Internet Explorer is not considered a Critical Update!
Works on Windows versions no longer supported by Microsoft -- Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 95
Our plugin is not an ActiveX control.
Integrated download manager with error detection -- you can cancel downloads at any time, and the next time you wish to install the cancelled update, it will continue from where it left off. Only corrupted sections of the file are redownloaded

I believe you are talking about NLite. I have seen a few people remove alot of stuff, and it still runs the same.

http://www.nliteos.com/

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Well I am not talking about Nlite. I was given a registered, legal,modified version of XP Pro. I have seen this thing run on a plain Jane, AMD 1.5ghz, 512MB ram computer and it MOVES. All "trackers" removed, all drivers loaded. almost all current updates done. All of the garbage taken out of XP.
As soon as the computer boots up, there is no down time. All programs run VERY fast and instantaneously (big word). I about fell over when i saw this thing run .

It takes the computer listed above to completely load this version of XP in under 8 minutes, start to finish . Where as most computers will take about 1 hour from what i have been told.

It SEEMS as though this program retains the XP name and programs that come with it like Word, etc. But that is it. Everything else has been "fixed" (the programmers opinion). I was told that there was a LOT of time that did go into making it work properly.

Surely someone else has modified XP to run as fast as this thing does.
I was told not to give any copies out, of course.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 08:35 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

All they've done is used something like nLite or rolled their own custom installation.

nLite can do all that stuff for you.

But anything you remove can potentially cause problems not directly related to it.

I was using an nLited XP install for quite some time. It was very nice. Very fast. A full format/reinstall took about 10 minutes, with drivers already installed, some tweakUI settings configured, among other customizations.

The only problem I had with it, is with removable drives/devices not being recognized properly when plugging them in. It'd be recognized, but like with drives, the volume label wasn't displayed in My Computer and/or Windows Explorer, and the format was listed as RAW, instead of Fat32, or NTFS as it should've been.

I'd have to reboot to get it properly recognized and configured. I'm not sure what I had removed that was causing it.

Wasn't really that big of a deal until I got an iPod. Having to reboot everytime I wanted to update my songs got old. So for the time being, until I can figure out what I removed that caused that behavior, I'm back to a standard/full install.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 08:41 AM
duh...duh....duh

I'm a network guy with some server/desktop experience. Would this nLite be good for a gamer? Would the benefits only be some more RAM being free, or are there alot more processes killed?

My desktop is starting to get a little (read: really) out dated. Thankfully I only play WoW these days, but with Vangaurd coming...

My '03 Sold.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
All they've done is used something like nLite or rolled their own custom installation.

nLite can do all that stuff for you.

But anything you remove can potentially cause problems not directly related to it.

I was using an nLited XP install for quite some time. It was very nice. Very fast. A full format/reinstall took about 10 minutes, with drivers already installed, some tweakUI settings configured, among other customizations.

The only problem I had with it, is with removable drives/devices not being recognized properly when plugging them in. It'd be recognized, but like with drives, the volume label wasn't displayed in My Computer and/or Windows Explorer, and the format was listed as RAW, instead of Fat32, or NTFS as it should've been.

I'd have to reboot to get it properly recognized and configured. I'm not sure what I had removed that was causing it.

Wasn't really that big of a deal until I got an iPod. Having to reboot everytime I wanted to update my songs got old. So for the time being, until I can figure out what I removed that caused that behavior, I'm back to a standard/full install.
Well i figured it was a common thing. I am gonna run this thing a whil and see how it does. Thanks for the info, Hunt4m3x and Darkwolf.
-R
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 11:34 AM
El Camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
I'm a network guy with some server/desktop experience. Would this nLite be good for a gamer? Would the benefits only be some more RAM being free, or are there alot more processes killed?

My desktop is starting to get a little (read: really) out dated. Thankfully I only play WoW these days, but with Vangaurd coming...
You make the big bucks fork out some money for a new box

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
You make the big bucks fork out some money for a new box
You know how it is, other priorities with the house. My bucks ain't that big either. haha Slightly above minimum wage.

My '03 Sold.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:34 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko

It might help some. A fresh install of XP with my nLite disc was clocking about 65mb of ram usage... I've never seen a normal XP use less than 100mb, even after turning off extraneous processes, and stopping services.

I took out things like excess drivers that weren't needed for my system, took out the tour thingy, turned off and removed the theme's, removed IE and OE (though left the MSHTML engine for necessary functionality... but if you can live without it, you can remove that as well).

My fully installed nLited XP was using about 650 megs of disc space... versus somewhere in the 1.5 - 2 gig range of a normal install. I've read about people on the nLite forums that are trying to get it under 100 megs and still be usable. Previously they'd stripped Win2000 down to something like 55megs, fully installed, and still usable... that's a little excessive for me, but pretty cool that you can actually remove so much crap and preserve basic functionality.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement