Best Antivirus Program? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Oooooooh-whee

Best Antivirus Program?

Everyone seems to bash Norton and I'm due for renewal. Having lost all my shit once before has me gun shy on what to get.

8/16/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
I prefer Zone Alarm. I have used AVG Free and Trend Micro's on line scanner as well. Zone Alarm has caught nasties in the middle of downloads and has changed file extensions in e-mails that were infected and rendered them inactive. Sad thing is that the Comcast e-mail scanner said "attachments succesfully scanned for viruses"

Just my 2cents.

Here's a link to their site,there are prices listed as well as a 15 day free trial.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/applic...try=US&lang=en

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:22 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Antivirus is only one part of computer security. There are so many other ways your system can become hijacked that are not virii. It's similar to just putting a motion detector out front of your house and hope that keeps burglars away when your doors are still unlocked and windows dont have alarms on them. You really need a full suite of applications to preform the functions automated enough to be 'secure'. Even then, its not even needed. I do not have any antivirus applications or spyware removal software because I do not need it. I'm behind a secured firewall and do not browse any sites that I am worried about hijacking my browser. Maintain latest updates and keep track of my outbound traffic on my linux box to just be sure random noise isnt getting sent from my box and I'm solid.

As for an antivirus application, the point was, nothing is really going to keep you 100% secured, although Norton is a damn good application if you keep it updated. I would look for additonal applications if you're worried about losing data etc... because depending on Norton Antivirus to keep you safe would be like building a house without a foundation.

Last edited by AbecX; 09-02-2006 at 10:29 AM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Antivirus is only one part of computer security. There are so many other ways your system can become hijacked that are not virii. It's similar to just putting a motion detector out front of your house and hope that keeps burglars away when your doors are still unlocked and windows dont have alarms on them. You really need a full suite of applications to preform the functions automated enough to be 'secure'. Even then, its not even needed. I do not have any antivirus applications or spyware removal software because I do not need it. I'm behind a secured firewall and do not browse any sites that I am worried about hijacking my browser. Maintain latest updates and keep track of my outbound traffic on my linux box to just be sure random noise isnt getting sent from my box and I'm solid.

As for an antivirus application, the point was, nothing is really going to keep you 100% secured, although Norton is a damn good application if you keep it updated. I would look for additonal applications if you're worried about losing data etc... because depending on Norton Antivirus to keep you safe would be like building a house without a foundation.
So obie wan, what all are you using?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Lifer

Im using Zone alarm, Antivir virus protection, spybot and Adaware. All free and they have served me well so far..............
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 11:42 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up
So obie wan, what all are you using?
I'm not using anything, just my linux box and common sense.

Lason listed some good apps, you can get basically all you need for free.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Lifer

i use AVG virus protection(free edition) and Adaware. might look into the Zone Alarm too

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Lifer

I've used McAfee for over 15 years and its caught everything ever thrown at it...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Dan
I've used McCrApAfee for over 15 years and it can't even catch a cold...
Fixed

I had a bad problem w/ it that they( the "techs") couldn't figure out.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Time Served

Check out AVG from grisoft.com Even the free version is good. Also NOD32 from eset.com. Not free, but excellent protection, low overhead. We used to recommend Norton cause it was cheap & readily available, but it's turned into bloatware. Slows your computer -way- down & reportedly includes ads for itself / other Symantec products. A security product with built-in adware? NFW.

As sorta alluded to in another post, you should be behind a hardware firewall such as that implemented in the Linksys WRT-54GL. This holds even if you only have one PC. An overly-simple explanation is that the router presents its own IP address to the outside world, hiding your computer(s) from direct exposure. There's more to it but unless you're a geek, who gives a shit.

Note that the 'L' in the model designation stands for Linux. Older versions were called the WRT54G; you might still find 'em around. The newer cheaper version without the L doesn't run Linux as it's own operating system & is not what you want. BestBuy stocks the good one, web price is about $70, so in-store's probly a little more.

If you want to dig deeper, go to http://windowssecrets.com/comp/060810/ (most recent full issue). Scope out the Security Baseline. Brian Livingston has written about Windoze since the 3.X days (the early 1990's). He knows his stuff & shoots straight.

At least one answer you've already gotten resembles MicroSnot support: Technically correct but completely useless. Saying "I run a Linux box" doesn't do jack for an end user who just wants to protect his stuff.

hth,

SBBII
(owns a computer business supporting commercial users all over the CONUS)

2000 GT: Buncha stuff, more in the works
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBBII
Check out AVG from grisoft.com Even the free version is good. Also NOD32 from eset.com. Not free, but excellent protection, low overhead. We used to recommend Norton cause it was cheap & readily available, but it's turned into bloatware. Slows your computer -way- down & reportedly includes ads for itself / other Symantec products. A security product with built-in adware? NFW.

As sorta alluded to in another post, you should be behind a hardware firewall such as that implemented in the Linksys WRT-54GL. This holds even if you only have one PC. An overly-simple explanation is that the router presents its own IP address to the outside world, hiding your computer(s) from direct exposure. There's more to it but unless you're a geek, who gives a shit.

Note that the 'L' in the model designation stands for Linux. Older versions were called the WRT54G; you might still find 'em around. The newer cheaper version without the L doesn't run Linux as it's own operating system & is not what you want. BestBuy stocks the good one, web price is about $70, so in-store's probly a little more.

If you want to dig deeper, go to http://windowssecrets.com/comp/060810/ (most recent full issue). Scope out the Security Baseline. Brian Livingston has written about Windoze since the 3.X days (the early 1990's). He knows his stuff & shoots straight.

At least one answer you've already gotten resembles MicroSnot support: Technically correct but completely useless. Saying "I run a Linux box" doesn't do jack for an end user who just wants to protect his stuff.

hth,

SBBII
(owns a computer business supporting commercial users all over the CONUS)
So what do you use then?

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 03:06 PM
World Record Holder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
I'm not using anything, just my linux box and common sense.
LMMFAO! No kind of virus protection??? There's nothing "common sense" about that.

Now back to common sense..

Trend is a good virus program. Programs like Adaware will help keep the spyware away.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302_plus_a_few
LMMFAO! No kind of virus protection??? There's nothing "common sense" about that.

Now back to common sense..

Trend is a good virus program. Programs like Adaware will help keep the spyware away.
I have run without virus protection for over 7 years. Only the firewall on my router and spybot/adaware and I was fine. Recently I lost my common sense, downloaded a shady program because I REALLY needed it and boom, trojans and virus's up the ying yang, so that is why I run it now. On a linux box it is even less important considering most of todays virus's are targeted at breaks in the Windows security, not Mac/Linux/etc etc.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
So what do you use then?
The aforementioned Linksys router (office & home) + Frisk F-Prot. It's not as good as the ones I mentioned (higher overhead) but good site licensing. We renew a few hundred seats annually in order to use it at customer sites as well.

CountySpy is pretty good anti-spyware; same co. offers Kerio personal firewall which seems good. Don't use it internally cause being behind a router + practicing safe hex minimizes the need.

If you're w/o a router, a good software firewall should be regarded as mandantory. Good = monitors outbound as well traffic, so malware that 'phones home' gets exposed. Used to use ZA but newer versions suffer from bloatware, IMO.

We support several hundred users at multiple locations across the lower 48; haven't had to disinfect or service any workstations after deploying Frisk (approx four years ago). All of our customers are behind hardware routers. Which one depends on their ISP, but all provide NAT & SPI.

2000 GT: Buncha stuff, more in the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement