Are games like WoW a childhood addiction??? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Eagles>Cowboys

Are games like WoW a childhood addiction???

First off I am 24. When I grew up playing video games, It was always sports games, occasionally shooters, and even the Legendary Zelda. I never got into Dungenos and Dragons or anything on the Fantasy side of the gaming. As I grew up it has always been console games and never PC gaming.

A few of my close friends absolutely love to play that damn PC game WoW, World of Warcraft. I can honsetly say I have watched them, after hearing forever about how much they play it and how cool it is. I simply think the game sucks. It looks nerdy as shit and boring as hell. The time they devote to the game is ridiculous. The fighting is about the gayest thing I have ever seen and there seems to be no purpose of the game at all. they play literally every night for hours to level up and do raids with herds of other folks online.

I know these friends of mine have all read fantasy books and liked that type of game since they were young. I don't see how any body like myself who grew up playing sports and fighting games could ever dive into this kind of game and enjoy it. The fighting is horrible, the potions and spells I can't even describe......I see them play and it actually hurts me, lol.

SO my question for all you gaming nerds is this...................

Are games like WoW embedded in people from their younger adventures into fantasy and shit like that? I just can not comprehend how anyone my age would just sit down and pick up a game like that. Just not my thing I guess, but millions of people play that damn game, so it has to be good........

Just give me Madden or Call of Duty multiplayer with the guys and I am happy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Resident Epicurean

I'm addicted to Socom 3.

I really want to get a 360, and try out COD and Ghost Recon, but I don't want to waste that amount of money just to play a few games, when PS3 is coming out soon.

I've never been able ot get in to the fantasy games. Strategic games yes, (which I understand WoW is strategy, mixed in with fantasy) but no fantasy.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 08:44 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

WoW is just like any other video game out there, you play it just to play it as a lesiure/fun activity, its no different than wasting time playing the games you mention, except that its a bit more invovled, I highly doubt you ever have 40 people trying to accomplish the same goal in either of the games you mentioned, not that thats bad, but a lot of people enjoy the 'social' value of WoW, as thats all they got. I enjoy its ability to help me forget about everyday bullshit.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Eagles>Cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
WoW is just like any other video game out there, you play it just to play it as a lesiure/fun activity, its no different than wasting time playing the games you mention, except that its a bit more invovled, I highly doubt you ever have 40 people trying to accomplish the same goal in either of the games you mentioned, not that thats bad, but a lot of people enjoy the 'social' value of WoW, as thats all they got. I enjoy its ability to help me forget about everyday bullshit.
I understand that man. Believe me with a lot of my good friends playing that game, I know way more than I would like to know about it. I can see that many people play it, it is just not my thing at all. Like I said, the fighting part is gay, the magic is just not me, and the time spent to do anyhting at all in the game is too much for me to comprehend.

Just wondering how people got into that game so hard core???

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX

SOCOM 3 allows 32 players total in each room......
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 09:00 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecobra95
It's quite fun to lead 40 'troops' into a battle and be successful, alot of the people at my work that are ex military enjoy the hell out of WoW because they get to do just that. There is just so many ways to get into it hardcore, progression, gaining new gear, collecting items, making money, helping others, the list just goes on and on. The magic shit doesnt really bother me, just like blowing people up with a fake rail gun or rocket launcher with a 2s reload, or sniping people whilst running doesnt bother me.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Bite Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecobra95
I understand that man. Believe me with a lot of my good friends playing that game, I know way more than I would like to know about it. I can see that many people play it, it is just not my thing at all. Like I said, the fighting part is gay, the magic is just not me, and the time spent to do anyhting at all in the game is too much for me to comprehend.

its just like CS and Doom... people play it everday cause its fun and they *keyword* enjoy it...

I know a lot of people like myself love MMO's because most of the time they are ever changing and you can never really finish it. i have tried many MMO's and this is the only one i can feel that i am progressing at a steady pace for end game with out geting fired/divorced lol

If u don't like the fighting in it i'd almost have to say u are crazy... it has to be some of the Best PvP ive ever delt with...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Texas Rangers #1

My younger brother plays all the time (he's 23) and he says it's the best game ever made. Before WoW came along he was a big time gamer, he was always being the latest games and playing them, but once WoW came out he only has time for that game, he says all the other games are just boring in comparison. I myself haven't played it, because I think I would also become addicted to it, and I don't have the time to dedicate to playing it like a single guy would. I do agree with you that if you just look at it, without playing it, it looks nerdy and retarded, but I'm sure that one you play it, it would change your mind.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Time Served

WoW fuking PWNS =)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Time Served

especially since the new patch came out, cross-server pvp is tons of fun.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 07:23 PM
duh...duh....duh

I was a normal gamer for years. Flight sims, FPSs...pac man...whatever. First Shattered Galaxy, then Jump Gate and now WoW.

Amazingly, a co-worker of mine gets laid in RL via the game. He's got on girl who flies in every once in awhile and another in FW. The one I saw was not shabby at all. A little pale, but nice bod and looks.

...I am married...so...I just play games.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Gunga galunga

it is by far one of the most addictive games i've played. I play for the PVP action in the BG's... But its also pretty fun running a 40 man raid, all in vent chatting and planning.

One of my friends was seriously addicted to the game, he quit playing and now all he does is drink and smoke... he just traded one addiction for another

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

My old boss was probably in his late 40s and would go home and play some game(which I can't think of the name of) every night. He said he had a game wife and everything. I'm guessing he's divorced now.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Lifer

Its simple as someone already said the game is played for fun. I happen to read a bunch of fantasy books when younger, and i enjoyed WoW for a bit, then got bored with it,a nd started playing EQ2 again. But ive played tons of FPS games, Warcraft 3, basically lots of games, and its just fun.

For example, playing Call of Duty one in a clan in CAL was tons of fun. Ive actually met most of the guys that were in the clan in real life. Weve known each other for years now, even though they live in different states. Just fun to be able to play games with people you might not have met, but share the same interests as you.

95' Red Mustang GT.

Slow.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinLT1
especially since the new patch came out, cross-server pvp is tons of fun.

it already came out? i haven't played in a month or so..

when i did i had trouble getting into BGs
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Lifer

The game is like old-school roleplaying when you were a little kid and went running around the neighborhood with your friends pretending you were something great (soldier, fireman, cops and robbers, etc...).

You may like military games, fantasy, sports, etc... they are all the same at their core mechanism...you act out something you (most likely) are not in real life.

I don't really feel like going into details, yes I believe the game is addictive, but so is Xbox live and all the games you can play on that.

Do what you want, don't snub those who play something you don't like, and don't give a crap if someone doesn't like your game...
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Worship me

All games can be addictive IMO. But what you prefer to play depends on your personal tastes. I like most games like Wow but I don't really get into sports games at all. I like playing the actual sport but a game about it just does nothing for me. I don't understand the people who get into Madden and I sure don't see the point of playing the hell out of it just to win an imaginary football game that doesn't matter. But that is the same viewpoint that a lot of Madden players have about Wow. "Wow, you are a level 50 assclown, who gives a shit?".

I don't play Wow but I did play Neverwinter Nights quite a bit as well as Diablo II. The appeal is the feeling of total immersion in whatever fantasy world you are playing in. Fantasy world could mean the world of imaginary football as well. Unless you get to spend all of Terrell Owens money on spinners, 40s and a fat ass crib the fantasy environment is not going to be as involved as Wow.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 12:56 PM

I grew up with sports games and then love first person shooters. I NEVER liked any RPG games, I always thought they were dumb. A friend of mine got me into WoW and I love it. I stopped playing now, cuz it is too time consuming, but it is a fun game.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:33 AM

:d :d And You Can Ebay And Make Alot Of Money For Your Geared Out Characters!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Lifer

Dont Talk Shit About Total!

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 01:17 PM
not exclude

WoW kicked my crack habit.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Lifer

gah, wish i could trade in all the nights spent raiding for good quality time with the gf. not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement