DFW Mustang Forums banner

Laptop repair

572 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  mikeb 
#1 ·
I need to get a Dell 5160 Inspiron diagnosed and repaired. Any suggestions for a shop?

#6 ·
Latitudes and inspirons are easy to take apart and fix. Dell used to have .PDF documents on their web site showing how to take each model apart; you can check and see if your's had this document available.

I'd say you either took out the keyboard or the motherboard. New keyboards can be had off of ebay for about $30; motherboards also off of ebay for around $100. Forget calling dell for these; they want $60 for a keyboard or about $500-600 for a refurb motherboard.

#7 ·
evilmonk said:
won't boot. water got on the keyboard and i need to know if the whole thing is fried or just random parts.

First, stick it in the dishwasher to get the food particles out of the keyboard. Then take petrolium jelly and smear it all over yourself and the room you are in. Next, run outside, spin in a circle 20 times and take it to a repair place. Now where are my camels.

#10 ·
Shaithis said:
First, stick it in the dishwasher to get the food particles out of the keyboard. Then take petrolium jelly and smear it all over yourself and the room you are in. Next, run outside, spin in a circle 20 times and take it to a repair place. Now where are my camels.
look, i already did that twice and all i got out of it was a tennis racquet and some animal balloons.

some water got in the keyboard while it was on. now it won't turn on. no lights. i've taken it apart already to look for damaged/fried parts and found nothing.

keyboards are cheap but mb's run around 300 bucks on ebay.

#11 ·
evilmonk said:
look, i already did that twice and all i got out of it was a tennis racquet and some animal balloons.

some water got in the keyboard while it was on. now it won't turn on. no lights. i've taken it apart already to look for damaged/fried parts and found nothing.

keyboards are cheap but mb's run around 300 bucks on ebay.
I'm leaning towards it being shot for good. As you probably know, moisture on an electronic device while it is powered on is fatal for the device. (sometimes the user)

Given that it is a decent laptop, if you can score a mobo for 300 and can handle replacing it...I'd do that. However, with laptops it is very tricky to troubleshoot. It might not be the mobo at all.

Have you verified the power brick is supplying power? After that, all those parts internally tend to be either intergrated or very tricky. Not like a desktop where you can simply swap PSUs and so forth.

I'm pretty brave with my laptops, but I'd probably try to finagle someone else to do the repair. I assume there is no warranty on it?

Take care,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.