So I bought a new laptop today... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

So I bought a new laptop today...

I've been wanting to pick up a new laptop for some time now but couldn't decide what to get. My HP laptop just wasn't cutting it anymore because of it's weight and I especially hated the fact that I had to run a PCMCIA card for my Wi-Fi and a USB Bluetooth dongle to connect to my other devices like my cell phone that I use for a modem on the road. Having both of those as "add on's" just added to the bulk of my laptop.

So I wanted something small enough to carry around with me yet was feature loaded with built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. After reading a ton of reviews over the past few months and figuring out what I could afford I settled on a new MacBook based on articles such as this in MSNBC. It had everything I wanted in a slick black case, is easy to carry around, has built in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a camera, and I get a corporate discount on it. It being a Mac and running OS X was sort of a bonus since we are starting to support these at work and having my own to play around with on my free time would make it easier to learn my way around one. And with it running the new Intel (Dual) Core processor, I can load WinXP on it so that's just a bonus and incentive enough for me to finally dump my HP. One simple but slick feature I really like is the slot load CD/DVD Drive. It's pretty cool and beats the shit out of the clumsy tray I had on my HP.

So far it's a lot different than what I expected coming from working in a Windows environment 24/7. I'm going to try and hold off loading Windows on it as long as I can until I get used to the Mac OS. Can anyone recommend some message forums or websites to read up on online?

Oh, one thing I would like to say is the Apple stores are very slick. I've been to a few Dell Kiosks and they ain't got shit on the way Apple is marketing there products. The main thing I hated about the Dell Kiosks is that they did not carry any inventory. So if you saw something you liked it would have to be shipped to you. Screw that! I wanted instant gratification. I'll probably be hitting up the Apple store sometime soon and picking up an iPod, probably a Nano.

I guess I'll be updating this thread over the next few days and weeks as I learn my way around this thing and post more feedback on my purchase.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Last edited by evil jose; 07-30-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Lifer

Just arrived in Cali for graduate school. Boss gives everyone top of the line HP notebooks, I'm happy .

One of the guys here has a new Macbook. It's very cool and he showed me some of the cool crap Macs have, but again, mine was free and I'm a poor grad student
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcrazy
Just arrived in Cali for graduate school. Boss gives everyone top of the line HP notebooks, I'm happy .

One of the guys here has a new Macbook. It's very cool and he showed me some of the cool crap Macs have, but again, mine was free and I'm a poor grad student
Well I'm sure your special for having been given a free laptop.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 08:28 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

You should check one of these out:

Delicious Library

DVDpedia
Bookpedia
CDpedia
Gamepedia

Delicious Library is basically all the *pedia's combined into one program, and if you need all of them, it's cheaper than the full *pedia bundle.

I'm planning on getting a nice black MacBook or MacBook Pro within the next year myself. Boot Camp just makes the choice a no-brainer. I also wanna get a MacMini both for a home media center, as well as a car media center, whenever I bother to get around to getting another new car.

Also, this might help you get started quicker.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 10:27 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I seriously considered a Mac but couldn't justify the price premium a Dell. I just bought an Intel Core Duo laptop clocked at 1.83ghz with 1 gig of ram, a 120 gig hard drive, built in draft N wifi and bluetooth as well as a 256mb video card, their top of the line 15" display and a DVD burner for $1004 shipped to my house. A Mac with the same options would be $1450 and only has a 13.3" display but it would come with the camera built in, something you can't even get with a Dell. Then again I'd probably never use it.

Macs have come a long way and obviously make an excellent product. I'd buy one in a heart beat if Dell didn't kick them in the nuts so hard on pricing.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:49 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
I'd buy one in a heart beat if Dell didn't kick them in the nuts so hard on pricing.
I tend to value my time. $300 - $400 price difference is well worth it, imo, to avoid viruses and other malware. Also not having to perform routine maintenance periodically. And that doesn't even take into account that you get the iLife suite included.

Of course, there's also the fact that Dell has some 70-80% of the computer sales market. It's kinda like why Wal-Mart can sell stuff so much cheaper than their competitors. Volume buying power.

Given that, there's probably never going to be a time that Apple can compete with Dell on price. At least not for a long time still.

DarkWolf
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Time Served

Im gonna be looking into a mac in the next few months when the new express cards come out. Now that they have switched to intel it has just helped me decide a little easier about switcing over.They look so much cleaner and apple displays are the best hands down.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

I cant even operate a mac

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 03:06 PM
D
Sofa Kingdom

The new Apple computers are badass. My dad has an iBook and the iMac desktop. They are expensive, but worth the price IMO. However, me being as familiar with windows and it's associated operating systems I'd much rather spend my money on a wicked Dell or something to that nature. Congrats on your purchase Jose.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 06:27 AM

The dual boot is the shizznit fo shizzle. How long you are able to refrain from loading XP will be interesting. I have actually looked at the Apple laptops thinking of grabbing one for fun. One of the holdbacks is that the touchpad doesn't have a right button (not do the mice!!). One thing to consider - while you like the pimpy cd/dvd drive, it doesn't have lightscribe, and my new HP does -- hahaha!!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:38 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Park
The dual boot is the shizznit fo shizzle. How long you are able to refrain from loading XP will be interesting. I have actually looked at the Apple laptops thinking of grabbing one for fun. One of the holdbacks is that the touchpad doesn't have a right button (not do the mice!!). One thing to consider - while you like the pimpy cd/dvd drive, it doesn't have lightscribe, and my new HP does -- hahaha!!
ctrl+click in OSX = right-click in Windows. And the Mighty Mouse does have a right button, actually. It's a touch sensor, rather than a physical button.

Also, any standard USB (wired or wireless), or Bluetooth mouse will work in OSX. Right-click and all.

DarkWolf
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

So I'm working on week 4 with my MacBook. Things are going smoothly although I haven't scratched the surface on how to use the features of the OS. Just bought 2 GB of RAM that I need to install and I'm thinking of upgrading my HD from 80 GB to 160 GB. I also picked up Parallel's Desktop so I can WinXP and I'm thinking about loading up some flavor of Linux as well.

So I'm really digging the new laptop. It's small, light, has a great screen, and the battery has some serious hang time. The down side is that I'm learning how to use a new OS which is sorta cool and keeps from getting to bored at work. The speakers also have no nuts. I was playing some poker outside with some friends and streaming some XM and couldn't hear shit from like 5 feet away. I wound up having to hook up some powered speakers from my guest desktop inside my house to get any kind of volume. I also have a problem every once in a while when I try to boot up from being on battery power. The computer didn't shut down like I wanted to and instead went into sleep mode. I pick up the laptop and it's hot like it's been running for a while and it won't power up. I have to undo the battery and wait a while for it (I assume) to cool off before it'll come back up.

Other than that, I'm not having any regrets about buying the MacBook.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Park
Sup Sean. I hardly use the touchpad so no big deal. My Microsoft wireless mouse actually works really good and and the right click button on it works really well. It's a little bit of work to use the right click on the touch pad but I don't miss it.

I have a Lightscribe DVD Burners on both of my Desktops at home but don't use it to often. I like how it "labels" the CD's/DVD's but hate the amount of time it takes to burn them. I mostly got it to upgrade my current drives to something with higher burn speeds and they only ran me like $30 each.

I bet you would really dig a MacBook, you should check them out.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
I also have a problem every once in a while when I try to boot up from being on battery power. The computer didn't shut down like I wanted to and instead went into sleep mode. I pick up the laptop and it's hot like it's been running for a while and it won't power up. I have to undo the battery and wait a while for it (I assume) to cool off before it'll come back up.

Other than that, I'm not having any regrets about buying the MacBook.
You might check into the battery recall, I think Apple's involved with it as well as Dell and some other's. Apparently there was a bad batch of batteries and some are spontaneously combusting or just expanding and warping the laptops. People jumped on Apple for this a few weeks ago, when reports were coming out about it, saying the design is too slim and not allowing proper cooling... but now it seems it's not just Apple (with Dell recalling over 4 million batteries), and their design, but is a problem from the battery supplier/manufacturer.

Also, if you're using Boot Camp, I've heard there's some issues with Sleep Mode when booted into Windows, but will be fixed when Leopard is released, if not sooner. You didn't mention you were using Boot Camp, but just incase you were, that could be the issue.

Otherwise, glad to hear you're enjoying it. I'm definitely looking forward to mine. I think I'm going to go with an iMac 20" instead of a MBP. For my use, my laptop's stay plugged in regardless, so the portable computing aspect is not of much use to me. And with the iMac's built into the monitor, all I'd have to carry with me is a mouse and keyboard (which I do with my laptop as it is anyway). Just seems like it will serve my needs better for now.

I still want a MacBook though, since the iMac will serve for work / games, won't need the full on MBP. And the Mac Mini is seriously just too pimp to pass up.

DarkWolf
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Mach 1 | 32 V

I just got an HP and I love it, itis huge though, its a 17 inch widescreen

BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 06:38 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

http://www.apple.com/imac/

Holy crap! 24" iMac! And upgraded to Core 2.

I'm sold. Leopard needs to hurry up, I'm jonesing.

DarkWolf
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 09:08 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

That 24" iMac is insane, but IMHO your money would be better spent on a separate monitor and a Mac Pro workstation. It'll cost more but that monitor can be reused. You can't connect a separate PC/Mac to the iMac display and reuse it once the hardware is obsolete....

As for the Mac Book and Mac Book Pro. I've been a long time PC guy and I've always wanted to give Macs a run but I couldn't justify dropping Windows since I use it for all of my administrative functions. However that's no longer the case, so I'll probably be upgrading sometime next spring.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 04:12 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

The question though, is when does hardware actually become obsolete? I mean, there's still P100's that can function as linux servers/routers etc.

Me personally, I grew out of the "gotta upgrade my computer every 6 months" phase, back when it dawned on me that I really don't play games much on computers. For years I'd had the mindset that I had to upgrade to keep up with the latest games... but I wasn't really interested in the latest games, so it just didn't make any sense to constantly keep upgrading.

The last PC I built was almost 3 1/2 years ago, it hasn't been touched (other than a hdd upgrade when one of the drives crashed) since I put it together... same vid, same ram, same hdd (I've gotten some external hdd enclosures and added hdd space... went with the enclosures because I wanted to be able to port the hdd's back and forth between my desktop and laptop). Same monitor.

For my needs right now, a Mac Pro is overkill, and really would be wasted. Yeah, the iMac's don't have removable/interchangeable monitors, but neither do laptops... and nobody seems to fault them for that.

I basically view the iMac as a more afforable laptop, with a gargantuan screen. I use my laptop currently as my main system (my desktop has been relegated to media storage, and for a time it was an HTPC), so it's always plugged in, and I use an external keyboard and mouse. So really, an iMac will function in exactly the same way as my laptop. It'll just have a bigger screen.

Someday, however, if I ever decide to go into video and audio production as anything more than the hobby it is right now, then certainly a Mac Pro will be on a short list of must haves. I already do graphic design as a career, and my single core centrino 1.6GHz laptop performs that task admirably. It also performs well enough for my hobbiest video and audio endeavors. The iMac will be a nice upgrade (and allow me to run linux full-time on my laptop).

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement