Windows Vista - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Windows Vista

I have been using vista a total of about an hr and it sucks. The way windows explorer changed sucks. It is a huge memory hog.With no programs installed from me it is eating 740 megs of ram. I have a pentium d 960 3.6ghz with 4gb ram running 3 sata II drives in raid zero and it is way slower than xp. Looks like im going back to xp in another hr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Lifer

that sux, glad to know though. guess any computer i have will NEVER run it. hell, my shit is slow with XP

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

On a few other notes people claim how much better vista is because you can have more ram.With 4gb ram vista shows 3.89gb ram win xp shows 3.25gb.Win xp with nothing installed uses around 130mb to run on my pc. Vista uses 740mb with nothing installed on my pc. The program did run stable atleast.

Now for the other thing that pissed me off.To install any program in vista you will get a bunch of prompts telling you you are changing settings. This might not bother some people.But for me i hated it.When you have to load 20+ drivers to get your sys up it can get on your last nerve.

The user interface does look good and the install did autodetect everything except for my raid setup and sound card,so a+ on that.

The side bar they added on the desktop isnt the most pleasant thing to have to look at.

Ie7 is okay but would take a while to get used to it.

Now for windows explorer , the interface isnt the best imo. They did away with the sroll bars.So it is now like an auto scroll where you hover the mouse and it moves on its own.For me it seemed to take alot longer since i have so many drives attached to my sys.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 03:01 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I used to work for Microsoft and even I think it sucks.

There are very few reasons to consider upgrading at this time. Sure you can make it less of a resource hog by turning all the eye candy off, but WTF is the point after that. IMO, the best thing about Vista is that some of the drivers (like video) are loaded into User Mode memory. So if the video driver crashes, the whole system won't blue screen. The only problem there is that not all of the manufacturers have built their drivers yet.

There are some other nice features, like being able to use a USB key as actual RAM, but the really good things about Vista have been removed. MS apparently couldn't make the new file system (WinFS) stable, so its gone. The new shell is gone. IE7 sucks cock. And WGA is integrated into the OS. Oh, and you'll have to have an HDMI output on your video card to view DRM'ed video.

I dunno, maybe Microsoft will pull one out of its ass and get its shit together when they finally go Gold. However judging from all of the personell changes in the Vista project in the last few months, I figure Vista is going to slip in its shipping date again.

About the only reason to get Vista is that it will actually have better security. However MS has thrown so much crap around the old NT kernel to make it secure, the OS itself just becomes more and more of a problem.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Time Served

No matter what they do, it will suck until SP2 and then it might actually be worthwhile. My own opinion is that they need to stick with XP for a while and quite changing so much shit every two years. XP with SP2 is not really that bad, IMO.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:05 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Yea, I still like XP SP2. The life span of XP is greatly increased with the 64bit version.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:07 PM
IA2

I remember the early days of the XP betas and reading a lot of really bad comments kind of like the above. And XP is not that bad now. Sounds like the best thing MS could do is take some time to work out the issues before trying to rush vista to market and having it flop.

But really, for most people, windows 2000/XP does everything they need reasonably well. Other than buying a new computer and getting vista I can't see a lot of people lining up at best buy at midnight to buy the upgrade.

I hope that they have put so much annoying DRM stuff into vista that it pisses people off and it affects the success of the product.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
I remember the early days of the XP betas and reading a lot of really bad comments kind of like the above. And XP is not that bad now. Sounds like the best thing MS could do is take some time to work out the issues before trying to rush vista to market and having it flop.

But really, for most people, windows 2000/XP does everything they need reasonably well. Other than buying a new computer and getting vista I can't see a lot of people lining up at best buy at midnight to buy the upgrade.

I hope that they have put so much annoying DRM stuff into vista that it pisses people off and it affects the success of the product.
Yeah no matter what it will be released to soon... and the security/liscensing stuff worries me too. Course this is coming from someone that has used one copy of XP pro on about 7 computers

"Apres moi le deluge"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement