for you gamers (routers) - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,281
Arrow for you gamers (routers)

im about to go buy a new router cause the one i have sucks!! lol i play alot of games over the internet what would you recommend

http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=371 this is the one i was thinking about running out and getting
Fiction528 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Frisco
Posts: 494
It may be a bit geeky, but that's what this particular forum is for... get a cheapo computer (I go to GoCRT in Richardson - $35 for the complete box, I only have to add a second NIC). Then grab the ISO from ipcop.org and run through the installer. When you're done, you have an honest firewall that won't give you the headaches that are common to the DLink and Linksys devices.

It can be as basic and unconfigured as you want, or as advanced and tweakable as you'd like.



oesm.org - Enterprise-grade web hosting (full DR, efficient virtualization, hardware firewalls)
DLinkOZ is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLinkOZ
It may be a bit geeky, but that's what this particular forum is for... get a cheapo computer (I go to GoCRT in Richardson - $35 for the complete box, I only have to add a second NIC). Then grab the ISO from ipcop.org and run through the installer. When you're done, you have an honest firewall that won't give you the headaches that are common to the DLink and Linksys devices.

It can be as basic and unconfigured as you want, or as advanced and tweakable as you'd like.
what is a NIC... and i buy one of these computers why whats in it that i need i have like 6 computers just sitting around to be built .. i have a very nice and fast computer right now.... i dunno explain in detail a lil more or something lol cause it sounds good just not sure what exactly your talking about
Fiction528 is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Frisco
Posts: 494
If you have a machine with a 266mhz or better processor, 64mb of RAM and two network cards, you're already in business. Essentially, IPCop is an entire Linux distribution custom tailored to being an incredibly powerful firewall and router. I've setup many - at my house (FiOS), my inlaw's house (comcast), friend's house (DSL) and my colo (switch handoff to their upstream providers). Once you step through the 5 minute installer, it reboots and you have a functional firewall/router. It's got a nice web based admin tool, so no need to much around with the OS itself (unless you want to).



oesm.org - Enterprise-grade web hosting (full DR, efficient virtualization, hardware firewalls)
DLinkOZ is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,281
cool
Fiction528 is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 11:01 PM
El Camino
 
Stang2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: in front of the keyboard
Posts: 3,432
yep there are a few linux distros like that. When I first got my cable modem I ran my linux firewall off an old P133 with 32 or 64mb of ram.

I currently run a linksys wrt54g with non factory firmware.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Stang2be is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 06:53 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Guys dont be retarded.

Anyway, why does the one you currently have suck?

AbecX is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Frisco
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Guys dont be retarded.

Anyway, why does the one you currently have suck?

Not quite sure where that comment came from, the guy's got a problem with his current off-the-shelf router, which is quite common with such products. We've offered cheap, or free (he says he has computers laying around), alternatives that will prove both more functional and more seamless.



oesm.org - Enterprise-grade web hosting (full DR, efficient virtualization, hardware firewalls)
DLinkOZ is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:30 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 232
I have had the same D-link router for 4 years with no problems. Here it is. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62

My girlfriend and I play Xbox, PC, and PS2 with it. I have had up to 4 playstations on it with no problems.

Adam_______Offical Car Name "ILLUSION"
383 Stroker, Stock cast heads, T-56 tranny, 4.11 gears, 2002 T/A dash, 4th gen interior including seatbelts, power lumbar seats, 18" Budnik Wheels, Murcielago exhaust set up, Hydratech Hydraboost.
ILLUSION Website
--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign
CAMAROBOY69 is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:31 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLinkOZ
Not quite sure where that comment came from, the guy's got a problem with his current off-the-shelf router, which is quite common with such products. We've offered cheap, or free (he says he has computers laying around), alternatives that will prove both more functional and more seamless.
How can you offer someone a replacment idea when you do not even know what the current issue is? For all you know it could be a issue with his internet provider or current equipment setting that needs to just be changed. Would you go out and buy a new car just because one of the speakers was blown?

AbecX is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY69
I have had the same D-link router for 4 years with no problems. Here it is. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62

My girlfriend and I play Xbox, PC, and PS2 with it. I have had up to 4 playstations on it with no problems.

yea but when your trying to use Battle.net it is slow as hell
Fiction528 is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Lifer
 
black90gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction528
yea but when your trying to use Battle.net it is slow as hell
why would the router cause battle.net to run slow?
black90gt is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,281
thats what they say the problem is. there's always atleast 50,000 people on that thing at once on one server. so a faster router would help am i right?
Fiction528 is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Frisco
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
How can you offer someone a replacment idea when you do not even know what the current issue is? For all you know it could be a issue with his internet provider or current equipment setting that needs to just be changed. Would you go out and buy a new car just because one of the speakers was blown?
It was an alternative to the big box store brands that routinely have issues. It isn't specific to this person's problem, it's a recommendation across the board. It's for anyone looking for a great, near-enterprise level solution that's as tweakable as you want it to be, but doesn't have to be, that's been proven time and time again to work effortlessly. Did I mention it's as cheap as some old used computer, and if you have an old P166 laying around, no need to buy a single thing.



oesm.org - Enterprise-grade web hosting (full DR, efficient virtualization, hardware firewalls)
DLinkOZ is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Lifer
 
black90gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction528
thats what they say the problem is. there's always atleast 50,000 people on that thing at once on one server. so a faster router would help am i right?
Are you trying to host a battle.net server? or just connect to one?
black90gt is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by black90gt
Are you trying to host a battle.net server? or just connect to one?
connect

the game is starcraft, diablo, warcraft III etc.
Fiction528 is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 12:17 AM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction528
connect

the game is starcraft, diablo, warcraft III etc.
No...more battle.net servers, faster battle.net servers or more bandwidth for battle.net would fix it. I can slap a Cisco 3800 or 7600 in place of our personal routers and you're not going to see a difference. I've had problems with the home routers, but a firmware upgrade or config tweak makes it run just fine.

I personally would recommend dlink, netgear and linksys for personal use.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Censored
 
big_tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 3,699
I just bought a Dlink wireless router for 30 bucks at Fry's. I bought a wireless router because it was cheaper than buying a standard router. If you have DSL it is a pain in the ass to add a router.

Do you have DSL, cable or what, because the router is most likely not your problem?

Doors Done Rite
big_tiger is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,281
fiber optics . . . .
Fiction528 is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Ide fuck her in the ass..
 
Da Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CrooKed I muthafucker!
Posts: 42,923
i use a linksys router and modem, works fine for me playing my 360, connecting and hosting games...




WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Da Prez is offline  
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,281
i use my current modem for my ps2 thats a totally different story than the internet.
Fiction528 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome