for you gamers (routers) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Arrow for you gamers (routers)

im about to go buy a new router cause the one i have sucks!! lol i play alot of games over the internet what would you recommend

http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=371 this is the one i was thinking about running out and getting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Time Served

It may be a bit geeky, but that's what this particular forum is for... get a cheapo computer (I go to GoCRT in Richardson - $35 for the complete box, I only have to add a second NIC). Then grab the ISO from ipcop.org and run through the installer. When you're done, you have an honest firewall that won't give you the headaches that are common to the DLink and Linksys devices.

It can be as basic and unconfigured as you want, or as advanced and tweakable as you'd like.

oesm.org - Enterprise-grade web hosting (full DR, efficient virtualization, hardware firewalls)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLinkOZ
It may be a bit geeky, but that's what this particular forum is for... get a cheapo computer (I go to GoCRT in Richardson - $35 for the complete box, I only have to add a second NIC). Then grab the ISO from ipcop.org and run through the installer. When you're done, you have an honest firewall that won't give you the headaches that are common to the DLink and Linksys devices.

It can be as basic and unconfigured as you want, or as advanced and tweakable as you'd like.
what is a NIC... and i buy one of these computers why whats in it that i need i have like 6 computers just sitting around to be built .. i have a very nice and fast computer right now.... i dunno explain in detail a lil more or something lol cause it sounds good just not sure what exactly your talking about

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Time Served

If you have a machine with a 266mhz or better processor, 64mb of RAM and two network cards, you're already in business. Essentially, IPCop is an entire Linux distribution custom tailored to being an incredibly powerful firewall and router. I've setup many - at my house (FiOS), my inlaw's house (comcast), friend's house (DSL) and my colo (switch handoff to their upstream providers). Once you step through the 5 minute installer, it reboots and you have a functional firewall/router. It's got a nice web based admin tool, so no need to much around with the OS itself (unless you want to).

oesm.org - Enterprise-grade web hosting (full DR, efficient virtualization, hardware firewalls)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

cool
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 11:01 PM
El Camino

yep there are a few linux distros like that. When I first got my cable modem I ran my linux firewall off an old P133 with 32 or 64mb of ram.

I currently run a linksys wrt54g with non factory firmware.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 06:53 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Guys dont be retarded.

Anyway, why does the one you currently have suck?

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Guys dont be retarded.

Anyway, why does the one you currently have suck?

Not quite sure where that comment came from, the guy's got a problem with his current off-the-shelf router, which is quite common with such products. We've offered cheap, or free (he says he has computers laying around), alternatives that will prove both more functional and more seamless.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:30 AM
Time Served

I have had the same D-link router for 4 years with no problems. Here it is. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62

My girlfriend and I play Xbox, PC, and PS2 with it. I have had up to 4 playstations on it with no problems.

Adam_______Offical Car Name "ILLUSION"
383 Stroker, Stock cast heads, T-56 tranny, 4.11 gears, 2002 T/A dash, 4th gen interior including seatbelts, power lumbar seats, 18" Budnik Wheels, Murcielago exhaust set up, Hydratech Hydraboost.
ILLUSION Website
--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:31 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLinkOZ
Not quite sure where that comment came from, the guy's got a problem with his current off-the-shelf router, which is quite common with such products. We've offered cheap, or free (he says he has computers laying around), alternatives that will prove both more functional and more seamless.
How can you offer someone a replacment idea when you do not even know what the current issue is? For all you know it could be a issue with his internet provider or current equipment setting that needs to just be changed. Would you go out and buy a new car just because one of the speakers was blown?

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY69
I have had the same D-link router for 4 years with no problems. Here it is. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62

My girlfriend and I play Xbox, PC, and PS2 with it. I have had up to 4 playstations on it with no problems.

yea but when your trying to use Battle.net it is slow as hell
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction528
yea but when your trying to use Battle.net it is slow as hell
why would the router cause battle.net to run slow?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

thats what they say the problem is. there's always atleast 50,000 people on that thing at once on one server. so a faster router would help am i right?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
How can you offer someone a replacment idea when you do not even know what the current issue is? For all you know it could be a issue with his internet provider or current equipment setting that needs to just be changed. Would you go out and buy a new car just because one of the speakers was blown?
It was an alternative to the big box store brands that routinely have issues. It isn't specific to this person's problem, it's a recommendation across the board. It's for anyone looking for a great, near-enterprise level solution that's as tweakable as you want it to be, but doesn't have to be, that's been proven time and time again to work effortlessly. Did I mention it's as cheap as some old used computer, and if you have an old P166 laying around, no need to buy a single thing.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Lifer

Quote:
thats what they say the problem is. there's always atleast 50,000 people on that thing at once on one server. so a faster router would help am i right?
Are you trying to host a battle.net server? or just connect to one?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by black90gt
Are you trying to host a battle.net server? or just connect to one?
connect

the game is starcraft, diablo, warcraft III etc.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 12:17 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
connect

the game is starcraft, diablo, warcraft III etc.
No...more battle.net servers, faster battle.net servers or more bandwidth for battle.net would fix it. I can slap a Cisco 3800 or 7600 in place of our personal routers and you're not going to see a difference. I've had problems with the home routers, but a firmware upgrade or config tweak makes it run just fine.

I personally would recommend dlink, netgear and linksys for personal use.

My '03 Sold.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Censored

I just bought a Dlink wireless router for 30 bucks at Fry's. I bought a wireless router because it was cheaper than buying a standard router. If you have DSL it is a pain in the ass to add a router.

Do you have DSL, cable or what, because the router is most likely not your problem?

Doors Done Rite
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

fiber optics . . . .
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

i use a linksys router and modem, works fine for me playing my 360, connecting and hosting games...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

i use my current modem for my ps2 thats a totally different story than the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement