DFW Mustang Forums banner

for you gamers (routers)

513 views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Fiction528 
#1 ·
im about to go buy a new router cause the one i have sucks!! lol i play alot of games over the internet what would you recommend

http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=371 this is the one i was thinking about running out and getting

#2 ·
It may be a bit geeky, but that's what this particular forum is for... get a cheapo computer (I go to GoCRT in Richardson - $35 for the complete box, I only have to add a second NIC). Then grab the ISO from ipcop.org and run through the installer. When you're done, you have an honest firewall that won't give you the headaches that are common to the DLink and Linksys devices.

It can be as basic and unconfigured as you want, or as advanced and tweakable as you'd like.

#3 ·
DLinkOZ said:
It may be a bit geeky, but that's what this particular forum is for... get a cheapo computer (I go to GoCRT in Richardson - $35 for the complete box, I only have to add a second NIC). Then grab the ISO from ipcop.org and run through the installer. When you're done, you have an honest firewall that won't give you the headaches that are common to the DLink and Linksys devices.

It can be as basic and unconfigured as you want, or as advanced and tweakable as you'd like.
what is a NIC... and i buy one of these computers why whats in it that i need i have like 6 computers just sitting around to be built .. i have a very nice and fast computer right now.... i dunno explain in detail a lil more or something lol cause it sounds good just not sure what exactly your talking about

#4 ·
If you have a machine with a 266mhz or better processor, 64mb of RAM and two network cards, you're already in business. Essentially, IPCop is an entire Linux distribution custom tailored to being an incredibly powerful firewall and router. I've setup many - at my house (FiOS), my inlaw's house (comcast), friend's house (DSL) and my colo (switch handoff to their upstream providers). Once you step through the 5 minute installer, it reboots and you have a functional firewall/router. It's got a nice web based admin tool, so no need to much around with the OS itself (unless you want to).

#7 ·
Guys dont be retarded.

Anyway, why does the one you currently have suck?

#8 ·
AbecX said:
Guys dont be retarded.

Anyway, why does the one you currently have suck?

Not quite sure where that comment came from, the guy's got a problem with his current off-the-shelf router, which is quite common with such products. We've offered cheap, or free (he says he has computers laying around), alternatives that will prove both more functional and more seamless.

#9 ·
I have had the same D-link router for 4 years with no problems. Here it is. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62

My girlfriend and I play Xbox, PC, and PS2 with it. I have had up to 4 playstations on it with no problems.

#10 ·
DLinkOZ said:
Not quite sure where that comment came from, the guy's got a problem with his current off-the-shelf router, which is quite common with such products. We've offered cheap, or free (he says he has computers laying around), alternatives that will prove both more functional and more seamless.
How can you offer someone a replacment idea when you do not even know what the current issue is? For all you know it could be a issue with his internet provider or current equipment setting that needs to just be changed. Would you go out and buy a new car just because one of the speakers was blown?

#11 ·
CAMAROBOY69 said:
I have had the same D-link router for 4 years with no problems. Here it is. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62

My girlfriend and I play Xbox, PC, and PS2 with it. I have had up to 4 playstations on it with no problems.

yea but when your trying to use Battle.net it is slow as hell

#14 ·
AbecX said:
How can you offer someone a replacment idea when you do not even know what the current issue is? For all you know it could be a issue with his internet provider or current equipment setting that needs to just be changed. Would you go out and buy a new car just because one of the speakers was blown?
It was an alternative to the big box store brands that routinely have issues. It isn't specific to this person's problem, it's a recommendation across the board. It's for anyone looking for a great, near-enterprise level solution that's as tweakable as you want it to be, but doesn't have to be, that's been proven time and time again to work effortlessly. Did I mention it's as cheap as some old used computer, and if you have an old P166 laying around, no need to buy a single thing.

#17 ·
Fiction528 said:
connect

the game is starcraft, diablo, warcraft III etc.
No...more battle.net servers, faster battle.net servers or more bandwidth for battle.net would fix it. I can slap a Cisco 3800 or 7600 in place of our personal routers and you're not going to see a difference. I've had problems with the home routers, but a firmware upgrade or config tweak makes it run just fine.

I personally would recommend dlink, netgear and linksys for personal use.

#18 ·
I just bought a Dlink wireless router for 30 bucks at Fry's. I bought a wireless router because it was cheaper than buying a standard router. If you have DSL it is a pain in the ass to add a router.

Do you have DSL, cable or what, because the router is most likely not your problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.