internet connection issues/lag-help - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

internet connection issues/lag-help

i play bf2 alot with my pc. when i first start playing everything is working great. my ping is about 50-90, depending on server. but after awhile, usually 2-3 hrs. of game play. my ping gets very erratic. sometimes goes up around 300, bounces around alittle while, then it settles down around 90. stays there for alittle while. then spikes again for a while. no one else appears to be having this issue in the server im usually in. and the servers are usually different, so i know its not the servers. is there something wrong with my modem. useing dsl. when my ping starts spiking my pc gets laggy. dont know what to do. help

amd 3200+ 64
2 gig of ocz ram
nvidia 6800 ultra 256
overclocked to 2.1, video card not oc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 09:01 PM

That's exactly what happens to me when I am playing online games. Your having the same problem I was having. I have a 6200 geforce and I dont know if thats the problem. If its really old or something. Everytime I go in a server its fine and then a couple hours later it lags my internet, my computer and my game that I am in. Whenever I check the scores it takes like 15 secs to load. Then it registers everything new to it in every different server. Everytime I jump it locks up and everytime I shoot it locks up. For the very first time it's like it's trying to read it for the first time lol. I got mine fixed by getting a new video card. Now I have a geforce 6600 GT. So thats all you are gonna have to do. The video card was getting worse and worse then I couldn't play any games and my computer locked up and I could barely get on the internet. That's what happens.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BONE-92
i play bf2 alot with my pc. when i first start playing everything is working great. my ping is about 50-90, depending on server. but after awhile, usually 2-3 hrs. of game play. my ping gets very erratic. sometimes goes up around 300, bounces around alittle while, then it settles down around 90. stays there for alittle while. then spikes again for a while. no one else appears to be having this issue in the server im usually in. and the servers are usually different, so i know its not the servers. is there something wrong with my modem. useing dsl. when my ping starts spiking my pc gets laggy. dont know what to do. help

amd 3200+ 64
2 gig of ocz ram
nvidia 6800 ultra 256
overclocked to 2.1, video card not oc.
Don't overclock it. That's why it happens. There is no need to overclock a 6800 to play a 2005 game? lol. So just don't overclock it for now on and tell me how it improves.... that was too late for me.hehe

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinStanger
Don't overclock it. That's why it happens. There is no need to overclock a 6800 to play a 2005 game? lol. So just don't overclock it for now on and tell me how it improves.... that was too late for me.hehe

my video card is not over clocked, just the processer. and both my temps on the vid. card, and processor read right around 104C, during game play. when not playing temp runs around 94c. ive tried unclocking processor, still same thing. turning settings down in game, same thing. thats why i thought maybe something with my internet connection. hell even alot of times when im on the net, pages take alittle while to load.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:36 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Its not because you're overclocking, its just the freaking internet. DSL is very iffy imo, you're using a very thin guage copper wire to send your information back to the CO, it's not a very consistant connection. Not much you can really do.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

i guess im going to have to get cable when my contract runs out. thanks.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 08:17 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

You sure there isn't something trying to do an update on your PC? Virus/spyware scans, damned Adobe acrobat, real player and of course windows update can all be massive resource hogs at random times. You might also have some spyware or hell maybe someone on the server is trying to get in your PC.

It could be the dsl provider as well. Maybe try doing a speed test around the same time it's lagging. If you've got a laptop to plug in or another PC do the test on it before you start playing and then do a comparison test while it's lagging.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Time Served

Certainly sounds like internet provider issues. Moving to cable after your contract runs won't necessarily resolve your issue. At least with DSL, you are on a dedicated circuit, with cable, according to the DOCSIS standard, you are on a shared media. Which means, there is only so much bandwidth for each cable trunk connecion back to the head unit. The more customers on that trunk, the less bandwidth is potentially available per each subcriber. What happens is that if the line is undersubscribed, you will have great performance, once the line starts to get busy, your cable modem will train down in speed to allow for all the other users to have their share of bandwidth. When that happens, your modem won't automatically train back to a faster speed once the line becomes less congested and you are left with a crappy slow connection again.

To play online games without issue, it would be in best to have an edsl syncronous line. That way your upload and download rates would be equal and game play wouldn't suffer. The Async connections that adsl and docsis provides aren't very good for gamers by default....
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 09:14 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BONE-92
my video card is not over clocked, just the processer. and both my temps on the vid. card, and processor read right around 104C, during game play. when not playing temp runs around 94c. ive tried unclocking processor, still same thing. turning settings down in game, same thing. thats why i thought maybe something with my internet connection. hell even alot of times when im on the net, pages take alittle while to load.
My god... I hope those are Fahrenheit numbers, and not Celcius as you've indicated

I'm surprised you're computer hasn't melted, if it is Celcius.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

I the have SBC Elite Package at home. I avg 20~ pings in F.E.A.R. and in BF2. Maybe they need to change your lines over to a closer RUT or RTU whatever it is. Here at work, We were getting max 30KB, and with 6 people on computers, internet was a joke. I call SBC and they said our lines were in the wrong area, came out, changed them and now we get around 300KB a sec. Big difference, exp. when I download blue prints. Also, they can add the block and run some Cat5 outside your house and that will further increase speed. My friend down the street gets around 675KB~ thanks to that. He was a former comcast customer, intill all the downtime he had, he changed. Plus, half the cost.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 11:31 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikbluewagon
The Async connections that adsl and docsis provides aren't very good for gamers by default....
That's such a load of crap. A typical game does not use anywhere near high enough upstream/downstream to cause issues with latency due to start/stop bits. Most dsl lines can easily handle any game out on the market.

As for cable modems and the 'shared' bandwidth, I've had a cable modem in 4 diffferent areas of dallas and have never experienced sluggish preformance during peak or off hours. I'm VERY picky when it comes to the internet and my latency, I'd be the first person to scream foul if I had any sort of problems with it. I have however used DSL, and in every instance it has been flaky. In the end it really comes down to the providers you get. Comcast seems to give a shit, where as SBC doesn't care ( teleco mentality ).

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
My god... I hope those are Fahrenheit numbers, and not Celcius as you've indicated

I'm surprised you're computer hasn't melted, if it is Celcius.

my bad, thats what i ment. fahrenheit.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 11:47 AM

Well I guess you people know more...but this just happend to me a couple weeks ago. So I don't what it could be, well I'm wrong sorry for wasting your time.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 12:22 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinStanger
Well I guess you people know more...but this just happend to me a couple weeks ago. So I don't what it could be, well I'm wrong sorry for wasting your time.
You didn't waste anyones time. Its always nice to have other peoples input no matter the problem. Computer problems are so verbose its not even funny.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
You didn't waste anyones time. Its always nice to have other peoples input no matter the problem. Computer problems are so verbose its not even funny.
Oh ok then. I thought I knew that I was gonna help him for sure. I just had that same problem a couple weeks ago. I bought a new video card and it wasn't locking up anymore. So the problem is your DSL when I didnt have DSL I had cable. Well it looks like a different problem for sure.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Time Served

You know enough to overclock the Proc, but I would also suggest being sure that all of your drivers espeicially the NIC, Video Card, and chipset are updated. I had this same problem with HL2, but it would get so bad after 10-15 minutes that I couldn't stay on any server. Updated the NIC and Chipset drivers and haven't had a problem since.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

i havent updated chipset drivers. was going to download last night. but was taking forever. ill try again tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement