Screwed up a clients computer last night... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Unhappy Screwed up a clients computer last night...

I was working with a client over the phone late last night trying to get our software to connect. Customer was running a Sony Vaio Laptop and he was getting a message that was typical of a firewall blocking our program. After digging around with him doing the work while I talk to him over the phone we couldn't find anything. So I had him run MSCONFIG and disabled all the Startup items and rebooted. He gets the window when Windows boots up saying that some items are disabled.. yada yada.. and to click OK. At that point nothing responds. He cannot click on OK or even the x. Rebooted and tried again, same thing. Booted into Safe Mode and after selecting his user he gets the prompt asking him if he wants to run in Safe Mode yes or no. Nothing will respond by clicking either. Nothing responds at all. Rebooted into Normal Mode and the same thing happens with nothing responding when he gets the window about items being disabled.

WTF??? I've never had this happen before and I'm not sure what I can do to fix it. I noticed that this is an option in the Boot Menu that says something like "Boot into last know good configuration" or something like that. I'm thinking about having him try this today. Any ideas??

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 11:56 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I would try that. It couldn't hurt at least, but I think as long as Windows boots, it marks it as a "last known good configuration"... and it sounds like Windows is booting fine, just locking up once it gets into the account.

Does he have administrator access? You could try re-enabling everything in msconfig with the admin account.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
I would try that. It couldn't hurt at least, but I think as long as Windows boots, it marks it as a "last known good configuration"... and it sounds like Windows is booting fine, just locking up once it gets into the account.

Does he have administrator access? You could try re-enabling everything in msconfig with the admin account.
We didn't try the Admin Account in Safe Mode simply because his cell phone was dying and we had run out of time. I'll give that a try and than the boot from last known configuration. Just never done that before and was wondering if anyone else had.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 12:13 PM
El Camino

next step might trying to use the recovery console to repair.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Professional Slacker

Ive had that happen once, on abotched service pack install. But never randomly.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Time Served

last known good configuration will restore the computer to the last time it booted normally. repair console the user will need the XP cd and boot to it and then press R to start the repair process.

Evil i am on aim all the time if you have access at work. if you need any further assitance please feel free to message me. aim: adam205348 yim: adam_205348 msn: [email protected]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

sounds like a process has stopped

Hey jose,

It sounds like a process was disabled this in turn will preven other system processes from starting, which could lead to the computer not responding. There is a CD out on thet net called Ultimate Boot cd for windows(which you may or may not know about it). It has lots of cool programs that you could use to diagnose a computer. I've used it myself and it has saved my ass a couple of times. This will probably be the last thing you would want to try, so I thought I'd mentioned it.

-1990mustangGT-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement