Conroe vs. FX-62 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Conroe vs. FX-62

Anyone seen benchmarks related to the new Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe)? Looks like they will take the performance lead by a significant margin for at least a little while. Looks like they will be overclocking beasts also with very low power consumption. May have to consider switching back over to Intel. Granted the link below is Toms Hardware which loves Intel and it is a pre-production unit. This is also testing a mid-level Duo against the top of the line FX-62. If these numbers hold true on production models I think it is time to switch.

Duo Core vs. FX-62
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 02:58 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Last week, Intel allowed the press to run a series of benchmarks on pre-installed Conroe test systems. Our German colleagues attended the Intel event in Germany and spent some time with the all-new systems. However, we were not allowed to release the results - until now.
Tainted results. No sense in even reading the next page of that article, I prefer realworld benchmarks vs conjured 'you only see what we want you to see' results. Intel, the ATI of CPU's.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Intel's latest processor is finally beating AMD X2 technology that was released in June 2005.

Next return shot.

By the way, competition is good for everyone.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

I would like to add a point about the Far Cry results.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/...-62/page5.html

Conroe is far ahead on low quality but is laggin on high quality.

Far Cry used the CPU to pre-render and help the graphic card. On high quality, the limitation of the FSB can be seen. This will hurt Conroe on software that has a lot of in and out traffic. I would be interested in seeing how conroe does in a server role.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 12:50 AM
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
Intel's latest processor is finally beating AMD X2 technology that was released in June 2005.

Next return shot.

By the way, competition is good for everyone.

how so? the AMD still can run both cores together as one. the intel can run both on the same job, but not the same way the AMD can. so far intel doesnt have the tech to keep up in the dual core market. that and now that the cost benefit of DDR2 is finally comming about with much higher speed ram, AMD will really shine. AMD has been running systems with slower ram for some time now and been staying ahead of intel without a problem. i cant wait for AM2

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 07:30 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
the AMD still can run both cores together as one.
Neither vendor can run both cpu's together on a single threaded application.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

The AM2 benches so far have been less than impressive. DDR2 will run at much higher bus speeds but at much looser timings, the trade-off is about equal. That review is not the only site showing similar or worse results for AMD. Look around at some of the other site that have similar benchmarks. In addition we have yet to see any benches on the highend Conroes. I have used AMD solely for about 8 years but will not hesitate to switch if the the performance warrants. I also really like the power useage and overclock potential of the Conroe.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 07:13 PM
fuckcanada

Has anyone seen what the conroe overclocks to?
Some of the more "extreme" forums have been able to reach very nice speeds from the inexpensive models of conroe.
Here's an on going collection of conroe benchmarks.
Click Here

Here's an air cooled 6700 clocked to 4Ghz with 1.6v.
Click Here

I for one am impressed with conroe soo far from an overclocking stand point, and I know many of you could care less about overclocks.
From the gaming benches i have seen conroe will hold the lead for awhile and I don't really see AM2 being able to compete, to be honest.

To abecx, about the single threaded application comment, the Nvidia drivers make use of dual cores (not sure exactly how well) but most games will see a "slight" boost in performance when using a dual core vs single core.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 05:07 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
To abecx, about the single threaded application comment, the Nvidia drivers make use of dual cores (not sure exactly how well) but most games will see a "slight" boost in performance when using a dual core vs single core.
Yeah, in worse case scenarios, such as if you onboard sound, it'll offload that to the other core. When games actually take advantage of multithreading ( such as the new quake engine ), there will be a big preformance gain.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Here is an interesting change.

http://theinq.net/?article=32589
Quote:
It seems that all AM2 CPUs were outfitted with a support for Reverse-HyperThreading, an architectural change which enables software to think that it is working on a single-core alone. By combining two cores, the company has been able to produce the six IPC "core" that will go head to head against four IPC "core" from Conroe/Merom/WoodCrest combo.
AND
http://theinq.net/?article=32603
Quote:
UK DISTRIBUTORS informed us that they are buying the last stocks of AMD's 939 CPUs.
Our sources indicated that this should be the last of socket 939.

AMD wants to focus on socket AM2 and DDR 2 and wants to get rid of the 939 CPUs. This brought about some amazing price cuts and we learned that you can buy retail AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm (Socket 939) for £93.94 Including VAT.
Flushing the retail channel for a push in to AM2
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 10:17 PM
fuckcanada

Yeah, i'm seriously thinking about picking up another dual core to screw around with..
BUT AM2, isn't all that imo compared to conroe from what i have seen/read..
My conclusions are from xtremesystems / resources, and several other reviews i have seen.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 08:47 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

AM2's ability to split a single thread application an utilize both cores is not impressive. Its about on the same level as hyperthreading, just a buzz word. The amount of overhead to split a thread and data/bandwidth it would use would not yeild a huge amount of preformance increase on a single threaded application. IMO its a tactic to get the less nerder folks to not be shy of upgrading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement