Vista, ya interested? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Vista, ya interested?

Read this article and flame on!

http://www.pcpitstop.com/news/rob/rcheng0606.asp

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:47 PM
600 plus a few

Flame on? its true. Vista is a memory whore

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

The following are requirements for Windows Vista Premium logo-compliant PC and will be mandated by June 1st, 2007:

Must have H.264 hardware decoding
Must have HDCP
Must support multi-monitor support
Must have HD audio
Must have HD audio jack presence detection
Must have Serial ATA 2.5
Must have minimum of 50MB NV cache on hybrid HD's with at least 8MB/sec write 16MB/sec read (for mobile only)
Must support booting from USB flash drives
Must have Windows Vista Green Button on all remotes

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2842

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 12:11 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Forget about hardware requirements... Trusted Computing is what you should be worried about.

Vista will never see the inner-workings of any of my computers.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 09:00 PM
IA2

I see nothing appealing about vista at the moment, and like darkwolf said it comes with more big brotherism and DRM. Also, if vista will not run existing apps well then I think people will be reluctant to switch until they are forced to, like when they buy a new machine. I just don't see vista flying off the shelf like win95 & i suppose XP did.

I have XP and i've disabled all of the AOLish bling crap. It slowed down my system too much.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

I think sheepy people will buy it, but after they find out that they can't do stuff they use to, that TC will block, they might try something new. Vista could be the best thing for Linux.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
I think sheepy people will buy it, but after they find out that they can't do stuff they use to, that TC will block, they might try something new. Vista could be the best thing for Linux.
When support in ended for 2k Pro, I'll be switching to Linux.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Lifer

What about Apple?! Very nice computers.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 02:37 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Apple definitely makes a nice computer, but they too are in with Trusted Computing, though not nearly to the extent that Microsoft and others are. Apples foray into TC, thusfar, has been in their iTunes AAC DRM, and restricting non-apple approved software from running.

Case in point, the hell hackers went through to finally figure out how to get XP booting on the new intel mac's. To whit, Apple then turned around and released Boot Camp, and made it a simple, painless process.

And comparitively, AAC's DRM is most definitely more user-friendly than Windows Media's DRM. There's also the possibility that the only reason Apple put any DRM on iTunes music, was due to RIAA pressure. Ie: "Either DRM it, or you can't sell it."

Because OSX is based on a BSD core, it will be difficult for them to completely pillage users computers, the way MS is going to do with Vista, because of the openness of the system. However, they've recently closed the kernel. Whether that is in retailiation to hackers making OSX86 work on off the shelf systems/components, or a first step towards locking down their system in a similar way to Vista... remains to be seen.

That all being said, currently I would certainly trust Apple over Microsoft, any day. And I'm hoping that doesn't change. I'm looking forward to my next laptop purchase being an Apple, but that's at least a couple years down the road.

DarkWolf
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Lifer

Very true. I am too wondering what Apple's intentions are on closing the kernel to outsiders. I dont even run Linux but I am happy with my XP. Just like to run it in pure classic mode though w/o all the bs. But those macbook's are very nice, I almost bought one, but cant justify the purchase, at least not right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Apple definitely makes a nice computer, but they too are in with Trusted Computing, though not nearly to the extent that Microsoft and others are. Apples foray into TC, thusfar, has been in their iTunes AAC DRM, and restricting non-apple approved software from running.

Case in point, the hell hackers went through to finally figure out how to get XP booting on the new intel mac's. To whit, Apple then turned around and released Boot Camp, and made it a simple, painless process.

And comparitively, AAC's DRM is most definitely more user-friendly than Windows Media's DRM. There's also the possibility that the only reason Apple put any DRM on iTunes music, was due to RIAA pressure. Ie: "Either DRM it, or you can't sell it."

Because OSX is based on a BSD core, it will be difficult for them to completely pillage users computers, the way MS is going to do with Vista, because of the openness of the system. However, they've recently closed the kernel. Whether that is in retailiation to hackers making OSX86 work on off the shelf systems/components, or a first step towards locking down their system in a similar way to Vista... remains to be seen.

That all being said, currently I would certainly trust Apple over Microsoft, any day. And I'm hoping that doesn't change. I'm looking forward to my next laptop purchase being an Apple, but that's at least a couple years down the road.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 03:21 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
I'm really hoping so.

I'm starting to get away from PC gaming entirely, and sticking with console's, and that's the main roadblock for most people to adopt Linux since just about anything else is already natively running in Linux, or at the least running via emulation/translation, or virtualization.

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement