Nintendo DS lite... quick review. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Nintendo DS lite... quick review.

Last night I picked up a Nindento DS lite from Wally World. I also picked up NEW Super Mario Bros and Brain Age.

I purchased the original Nintendo DS back on its launch date and owned it for a couple of months before selling it on Ebay (and making back most of my money) At the time I had only two complants for the DS, lack of DS games and its size. Yes, I know that you can play any GBA game on the DS, but I'm strictly referring to DS based games. As for size, the DS was somewhat of a brick. It was too thick to put in your pocket and nearly as wide and long as a PSP. Screen quality was also an issue, but at the $150 price point, I thought it was pretty good..

Well a few years have passed and Nintendo has had huge success with the DS. There are more games than you can shake a stick at and most people look at the PSP and laugh. So when I saw the DS lite was coming out, I decided to seriously consider buying one. Then New Super Mario Bros was announced and I went into a fully rabid gaming nerd mode. I was going to own this system....

Well after a night of playing NSMBs I am EXTREMELY happy. Not only is the DS Lite a svelte 5.25" x 2.75" x 7/8", it is also absolutely beautiful. I'm talking iPod beautiful. In fact, I'll go a step further and call it a blantant rip off of iPod design, and that is a good thing.

The screen size is about the same, but the picture quality is VASTLY SUPERIOR to the original DS. The images are clearer and the screen is ALOT brighter. Heck, you could use this thing to power the Bat Signal. You would blind someone wearing NVGs. Not only that, but the default brightness setting isn't even the brightest setting. When you start up your DS Lite, tap the sun icon once and this thing becomes significantly brighter.

The smaller size of the DS lite doesn't hender game play at all. The screens are still the same size the original DS and the control placement is still excellent.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 05:19 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

I picked up a ds lite and metroid prime hunters and brain age today. Last handheld I owned was a gba. I'm pretty damn happy with it so far. Back to metroid...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I just tried out Brain Age, earlier this evening.

It is very strange to be addicted to something that is actually good for you.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:48 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

NSMB, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Mario Kart, Tetris ... FTW!

Got a Lite yesterday, me and 4 friends, and had a day of nerdery. ~10 player Tetris DS, Standard mode with items on = win. Or 2 player Push mode. Good times.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
NSMB, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Mario Kart, Tetris ... FTW!

Got a Lite yesterday, me and 4 friends, and had a day of nerdery. ~10 player Tetris DS, Standard mode with items on = win. Or 2 player Push mode. Good times.
mario kart is a blast with the wireless multi player...

On a trip to vegas a friend and I had DS's but we were sitting in two different spots on the plane playing mario kart Also with the text messaging we would make fun of other people on the plane... I got some strange looks when i would just start laughing from no where lol

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:42 PM

Brain Age is the fuggin pwn.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford

On a trip to vegas a friend and I had DS's but we were sitting in two different spots on the plane playing mario kart Also with the text messaging we would make fun of other people on the plane... I got some strange looks when i would just start laughing from no where lol
Hey thats a good idea!! I have a flight in july.. thanks for the idea
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:37 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
Hey thats a good idea!! I have a flight in july.. thanks for the idea
We're gonna try to one up that... going to San Antonio for Warped Tour the first weekend of July.

2 cars.

8 people.

I think you can guess where this is going

Obviously only 6 players at a time, as we gotta have two drivers, so I think we'll probably work out a 1 hour rotation of drivers, so each person has an hour of driving, and 3 hours of DS love.

It'll be interesting to see how far the adhoc wireless will reach between cars

DarkWolf
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 08:10 AM
Lifer

Okay guys, so how hard is Brain age really? or is it more of just, you have to start doing things quicker and quicker so it kind of gets up your mental reflexes?

Also, is the New Super Mario Bros. more like mario 1 with cool graphics or does it sort of mix a few of them together. I looked at the screen shots and didn't see anything that resembled mario 2&3
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Bite Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford

hmmm wireless on a plane that sounds like a good idea...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 09:50 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

For the New Super Mario Bros., I'd say it's more of a mix of 3, and World. You don't get the feather/leaf cape, or the various suits of 3 (Tanookie, Frog, Boot), but it has Giant Mushrooms (somewhat like a star, in that it's only for a limited time), Tiny Mushrooms, and Turtle Shell upgrades. They've also added a wall jump, and wall slide, and brought back the Ground Pound.

Moving between stages is like SMB3/SMW (map screen), and so far as I can tell, just about every stage has at least 2 ways you can complete it, and the alternate paths usually lead to opening up secret paths on the map screen, opening up things like warp canon's, mushroom houses (3 different kinds), shortcut tunnels, etc.

It's good stuff

DarkWolf
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 09:56 AM
4 Cams are better than 1

mario kart....tetris...best...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
We're gonna try to one up that... going to San Antonio for Warped Tour the first weekend of July.

2 cars.

8 people.

I think you can guess where this is going

Obviously only 6 players at a time, as we gotta have two drivers, so I think we'll probably work out a 1 hour rotation of drivers, so each person has an hour of driving, and 3 hours of DS love.

It'll be interesting to see how far the adhoc wireless will reach between cars

Post up results. I will be interested to know
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Stang U
hmmm wireless on a plane that sounds like a good idea...
Just don't let the stuartess find out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement