New PC/Old PC.....data transfer??? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Pro-Israel; Pro-War

New PC/Old PC.....data transfer???

Ok, got a new pc b/c my old one keeps crashing and the power supply is flaky. problem is, i have alot of nifty programs that i use daily on the old hdd. what is the easiest way to get the program files into the new pc/hdd? would i be able to use the apps as normal by just slaving the old drive to the new one and having both??? whats the best way to get all my old applications over to the new pc, most cannot be reloaded???

thnx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 09:09 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Here's the problem. Some of those programs are probably single file executable programs. Those can easily be copied over. The rest, however, are installed into the OS. They are engrained into the Registry, DCOM, WMI, and other services and namespaces. You cannot move those. You need to have the original install media (CD, DVD, or installation executable) which you can use to install the program onto the new PC.

Installing the old HDD and slaving it won't work either because those applications are not installed to the new OS. You can however, slave the old drive to copy files to the new PC.

BTW, the absolutely easiest way to copy your files from the old PC to a new one is to simply connect them with a crossover cable. Give one PC the IP address of 192.168.0.1 and give the other 192.168.0.2 and use the default gateway 255.255.255.0

The PC's can then connect. From the new computer just click Start > Run and type in \\yourOLDPCcomputernameGoesHere\c$ to get to the C drive of the old PC. You may be prompted for your username and password for the old system at that time.....

A crossover cable can be purchased at Best Buy or any other PC supply store for a couple bucks. Frys will likely be cheapest.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Pro-Israel; Pro-War

what about ghosting or something like that? i don't even know how that works....so i am SOL on my apps that don't have a reload disc?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Ghosting is a process of making an EXACT duplicate of your hard drive onto another hard drive or into an image file.

Yes, you could ghost your old hard drive to a new one, but the moment you boot your new PC, it will blue screen because all of the drivers on your old hard drive are different.

The only other alternative could be a P2P transfer (Physical 2 Physical) where you change out all of those drivers.

No offence, but if you have to ask how ghosting works, then P2P is WAAAAAY above your skill set, and isn't worth looking into. There are other alternatives as well, such as P2V (Physcial 2 Virtual) using VMware and some third party applications, but again, I think it is quite a bit above your experience level...

So yea, your SOL. Cut your losses and walk away from this with the experience to always have the install media incase you need to do a restore.

BTW, you could look into some of the free alternatives out there. For instance, if you are going to lose MS Office from this mess, then try giving Star Office a run. For other apps, Google is your friend.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement