Is the PSP worth it? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Is the PSP worth it?

I travel a fair amount and always have a laptop with me, but there are still some places that don't offer internet. I'm looking for something easy to game with, is it worth the buy in? Will it stand the test of time or end up being a portable neo-geo in a year or so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 02:50 AM
Time Served

not that its going to be like the neo geo, but a computer is just flat out 100x better even without the internet, for gaming. psp is decent, the problem is nobody else ever has one, now-a-days laptops are so much more common and most likely with a wireless card too, so that means its all just a matter of getting the balls to stand up and shout "HEY, anybody got bf2?!?!"... (i would if i had a gaming laptop) vs. waiting to see if anybody is "game sharing" or whatever it is

sure, grab a psp because its neat, but thats about all it is...

going from a laptop 15" laptop screen or whatever down to a 4" lcd displaywill drive you nuts tryin to watch a movie, i just thought of another psp negative, 1 handed function? grab a bite to eat and play pc games? no prob... try it with the psp and you're fucked!

edit: i'm not even gonna edit that, just know its late, wary late
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 08:57 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

If you want a portable gaming system, get a DS.

If you want a portable movie player, get a PSP (and get ready to spend $20/PSP movie that you've more than likely already got on DVD).

The PSP had the potential to be a great system, but Sony really dropped the ball with it, and focused more on releasing movies for it, rather than games. Either not realizing people don't want to buy their movies all over again... or just assuming since it's Sony, people would flock to it.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 10:53 AM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
or just assuming since it's Sony, people would flock to it.
Which is what happened.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:09 AM

The biggest letdown for the PSP is that it is so highly reflective you cant see the movie, game or anything unless it is in a very dim area..Also it scratches very easily.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:13 AM
que?

Quote:
If you want a portable movie player, get a PSP (and get ready to spend $20/PSP movie that you've more than likely already got on DVD).
you can download software to put movies on memory cards
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Lifer

YEa you can get every game onto a memory card.....that psp makes...movies even.....and you can also put old emulators on there...that was the feature i used the most.....got rid of mine to get the xbox 360....but may go back for boring days at work....

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

I wouldn't use it for movies, I have a portable DVD player (laptop will work too) and I buy DVD's like I'm addicted to them, so re-buying several hundred movies doesn't sound fun.

May have to get the drop down LCD out of the roof and hook a Xbox 360 to it
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 06:27 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

The Nintendo DS Lite comes out on June 11th. It is considerable smaller than the current DS, gets better battery life and has brighter screen. The PSP doesn't get very good battery life.

Oh, and at $129.99, it costs quite a bit less than the PSP.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/704/704875p1.html

UMD disks are becoming less common for movie releases. Universal announced that they will be dropping the format in about a year. Don't count on being able to get future movies for the PSP.

There are some good things about the PSP. YOu can rip movies and store them on a memory stick (they get cheaper every day) If you are a bit of a geek, there are TONS of hacks out there for it as well.

But if you want to play games, the Nintendo DS is the hands down winner. Just go check out the New Super Mario Bros.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Time Served

I happen to have a PSP for sale that is practically new with Madden 06 and GTA plus case, cleaning cloth and all that good stuff. $200 obo if your interested. Oh, and the battery typically lasts about five hours before needing charged.

R, just R
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 09:59 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
or just assuming since it's Sony, people would flock to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHornet
Which is what happened.

Goddamnit! I have to remember not to take a drink of coffee before reading threads with potential comedy such as this.

Perhaps you missed the sales figures, showing the DS is outselling the PSP by more than 2:1, nearing 3:1. Oh sure, the PSP has SHIPPED numbers near the DS SALES numbers... shipped != sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8driver
you can download software to put movies on memory cards
What geeks do, and what the average consumer does, are not mutually inclusive.

If Sony wanted that feature to be widely adopted (thereby allowing people to frivolously break the DMCA by re-encoding their DVD's... given Sony's recent rootkit fiasco, it's unlikely that a company that so loves DRM will ever willingly allow consumers to purchase media once, and use it wherever they want, whenever they want), Sony would release an easy consumer friendly app to rip/encode DVD's to PSP format... possibly even release recordable UMD's and a reader/writer... hell, even release a DVD/UMD reader/writer that will pull a DVD directly down to the UMD with the push of a button, so the consumer doesn't need to worry about such trivial things as compression settings, aspect ratios, and picture sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93powerranger
YEa you can get every game onto a memory card.....that psp makes...movies even.....and you can also put old emulators on there...that was the feature i used the most.....got rid of mine to get the xbox 360....but may go back for boring days at work....
Once again... what geeks do, and what consumers do are not mutually inclusive. And little Timmy's parents that just spent $250+ on Timmy's birthday present, aren't going to be too overjoyed when Timmy comes to them with a broken PSP because he tried to hack it to play emulated games from past systems, or pirated games. And most definitely won't be happy when they find out his endeavors have voided any warranties on the system. But perhaps they'll enjoy the new $250 paperweight for the office.

Now, to be a true comparison however, the DS can also be hacked to play "backups" of all the current DS/GBA games, as well as emulators for past systems, movie player, music player, etc. The difference, however, is hacking the DS doesn't void it's warranty (unless you actually perform a firmware flash), as you're not actually modifying any of the hardware. The "modchip" plugs into the system through the DS card slot, and games (and other media) are loaded onto SD or Compact Flash cards, that are then placed into a GBA-flash cart, which is put into the GBA slot on the DS. If your DS should ever crap the bed while still under warranty, you can take it and get it replaced.

DarkWolf
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Goddamnit! I have to remember not to take a drink of coffee before reading threads with potential comedy such as this.

Perhaps you missed the sales figures, showing the DS is outselling the PSP by more than 2:1, nearing 3:1. Oh sure, the PSP has SHIPPED numbers near the DS SALES numbers... shipped != sale.

What geeks do, and what the average consumer does, are not mutually inclusive.

If Sony wanted that feature to be widely adopted (thereby allowing people to frivolously break the DMCA by re-encoding their DVD's... given Sony's recent rootkit fiasco, it's unlikely that a company that so loves DRM will ever willingly allow consumers to purchase media once, and use it wherever they want, whenever they want), Sony would release an easy consumer friendly app to rip/encode DVD's to PSP format... possibly even release recordable UMD's and a reader/writer... hell, even release a DVD/UMD reader/writer that will pull a DVD directly down to the UMD with the push of a button, so the consumer doesn't need to worry about such trivial things as compression settings, aspect ratios, and picture sizes.

Once again... what geeks do, and what consumers do are not mutually inclusive. And little Timmy's parents that just spent $250+ on Timmy's birthday present, aren't going to be too overjoyed when Timmy comes to them with a broken PSP because he tried to hack it to play emulated games from past systems, or pirated games. And most definitely won't be happy when they find out his endeavors have voided any warranties on the system. But perhaps they'll enjoy the new $250 paperweight for the office.

Now, to be a true comparison however, the DS can also be hacked to play "backups" of all the current DS/GBA games, as well as emulators for past systems, movie player, music player, etc. The difference, however, is hacking the DS doesn't void it's warranty (unless you actually perform a firmware flash), as you're not actually modifying any of the hardware. The "modchip" plugs into the system through the DS card slot, and games (and other media) are loaded onto SD or Compact Flash cards, that are then placed into a GBA-flash cart, which is put into the GBA slot on the DS. If your DS should ever crap the bed while still under warranty, you can take it and get it replaced.
Damn, you get this worked up over a handheld game system? Get laid man!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 06:27 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason
Damn, you get this worked up over a handheld game system? Get laid man!
Oooooh, does it hurt to be that cool?

DarkWolf
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:52 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

some of the homebrew for the psp is pretty damn cool. But I guess that's "What geeks do, and what the average consumer does, are not mutually inclusive."
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 01:18 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Oooooh, does it hurt to be that cool?
I did not actually see you getting worked up...other then f'ing around the first line...

....back on topic

I checked out the PSP for a 16 y/o family member. I thought the ability to play mp3s, watch movies...etc was cool. However, the damned load time for the games are insane. The games would be secondary for this person - but I don't think this system is worth either for games, or a movie/mp3 player - IMO.

I think I'm just going to get the Vision:M

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 01:47 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
I did not actually see you getting worked up...other then f'ing around the first line...
Well, you know it was morning, and my coffee was hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
some of the homebrew for the psp is pretty damn cool. But I guess that's "What geeks do, and what the average consumer does, are not mutually inclusive."
The whole "geeks vs. consumers" thing is not derogatory, I presume that's where Lason felt I was getting worked up. It's just pointing out that the average consumer will buy something as is, and leave it as is for the life of it, where the geek will tinker and break shit, just to see if they can put it back together.

When someone asks if the PSP is worth it, you have to either ask if they intend to mod it, or you have to give them both sides. If the OP was asking if the PSP was worth it as a out of box device, with no intention to mod it (nor any knowledge that such a thing was possible) it does no good to tell them that you can get every game for it and past systems on a memory card and play them. All that will do is get them excited and then let down when they realize that it doesn't work like that... and the average consumer is going to be less likely to void the warranty on their new $250 game machine.

What I responded to was people just assuming they intended to mod it as they had done, without really explaining that the suggestions they were making required modification of the system, which in turn voids the warranty. Especially since they OP seemed to indicate they were not intending to mod it. "I'm looking for something easy to game with" ... doesn't really indicate the intention to crack open the shell and start soldering wires and shit.

DarkWolf
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 02:28 AM
We lost one.....

Too bad neither have a tv tuner available like the sega handheld did.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 07:55 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael101
Too bad neither have a tv tuner available like the sega handheld did.
WHOOPS!

You spoke too soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/08/31/n...v-tuner-large/

Well, it will have one in October

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 08:32 AM
We lost one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
WHOOPS!

You spoke too soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/08/31/n...v-tuner-large/

Well, it will have one in October
Damn they got that out there quick. I'll stick with my PSP. I think with the new price of $199 and expanding memory card capacity and steady decline in costs will only help. I gotta start saving for my PS3 now, glad to hear its backwards compatable with all PS1/2 games and will come with a 20 or 60 gig HD, now if they will announce a price.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 09:47 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael101
Damn they got that out there quick. I'll stick with my PSP. I think with the new price of $199 and expanding memory card capacity and steady decline in costs will only help. I gotta start saving for my PS3 now, glad to hear its backwards compatable with all PS1/2 games and will come with a 20 or 60 gig HD, now if they will announce a price.
Uhh... they did. $500 for the 20gig hdd version, and $600 for the 60gig hdd version.

And ps1/ps2 compatability is not guaranteed. It's going to be done like the X360's compatability, and not guaranteed for all games.

DarkWolf
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 04:41 AM
We lost one.....

I'll take the 60gig. Perfect excuse for me to upgrade my HT equipment. Was planning on a bike next spring but I'd rather have a new projector and a custom screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement