Can someone explain LCD monitors and gaming? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn

Can someone explain LCD monitors and gaming?

I have a chance to get this monitor for pretty cheap: http://www.egeneralmedical.com/dee117flpaco.html

The only reason I'm thinking about this monitor is to free up some space on my desk. I'm not a hardcore gamer or anything but I play Flight Sim 2004 every once in a while which is pretty graphics dependant. I did a search and read some about non-native resolution issues and the bluriness it may cause. It's all going in one ear and out the other so can someone break this down for me? Will this monitor atleast be an upgrade over the 5-year old 17" Dell CRT I have now?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 01:58 AM

Thats a shitty price for that monitor... you can get better from dell's website and at a cheaper price. If you buy a newer LCD there should not be any problems with casual gaming.

As for the resolution... as long as you can run Flight Sim at 1280x1024 with no problem you wont have to worry about the native resolution blurriness. If you computer will not run the game at resolution then you have to deal with the bluriness... what is the resolution your computer is set to now?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
Thats a shitty price for that monitor... you can get better from dell's website and at a cheaper price. If you buy a newer LCD there should not be any problems with casual gaming.

As for the resolution... as long as you can run Flight Sim at 1280x1024 with no problem you wont have to worry about the native resolution blurriness. If you computer will not run the game at resolution then you have to deal with the bluriness... what is the resolution your computer is set to now?
That's not the price I can get that monitor for, that was just a link showing the monitor. I have a chance to get a new one for $150. It's set at 1024x768 right now.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
That's not the price I can get that monitor for, that was just a link showing the monitor. I have a chance to get a new one for $150. It's set at 1024x768 right now.

Ok, just making sure

Well, see if can set the res to 1280x1024, if you can fire up flight sim, go to video settings and change it to 1280x1024. As long as it plays fine at the resolution.. then using that monitor should work fine for playing flight sim wihtout the 'blurriness' you are reading about.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
Ok, just making sure

Well, see if can set the res to 1280x1024, if you can fire up flight sim, go to video settings and change it to 1280x1024. As long as it plays fine at the resolution.. then using that monitor should work fine for playing flight sim wihtout the 'blurriness' you are reading about.
Yeah it plays fine. I just have to get used to these little ass icons

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 06:36 AM
El Camino

Quote:
You'll get used to it. I run my 19" CRT at 1600x1200

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 07:08 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Using some older shitty LCD's, you'd get a 'lag' from old images staying present on the display causing a bluiness. I wouldnt really worry about it.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 07:32 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
You can make them bigger

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 07:36 AM
NES Crew

Twelve ms response time isn't exactly blazing fast, but for 59 bucks less than you can buy it on dell.com, I guess you can get over it.

If it was me, I would look at getting something with a faster response time, and larger than 17”. Prices on LCDs are dropping and have not yet reached their plateau.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangol
Twelve ms response time isn't exactly blazing fast, but for 59 bucks less than you can buy it on dell.com, I guess you can get over it.

If it was me, I would look at getting something with a faster response time, and larger than 17”. Prices on LCDs are dropping and have not yet reached their plateau.
So would this one perform not as well as my current CRT? I would love to get something larger, but I wasn't really planning on getting one until this good deal came up.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Time Served

keep lcd's at the office where they belong! go grab a 20" or 21" crt, i picked up a 21" sony triniton flat for $40 (off a friend) and a 20" triniton regular crt for $25 off the monitor guy... there's a monitor guy down at the first saturday sale and he's got all kinds of 20", 21"ers for cheap, they arent the best looking but they freakin work for $25, and quite an upgrade even from 19"
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:22 PM
NES Crew

Quote:
So would this one perform not as well as my current CRT? I would love to get something larger, but I wasn't really planning on getting one until this good deal came up.
This one will out perform your current CRT, have a larger viewable area and take up less real estate on your desk.

But I would hate to say buy it, only to see a better quality monitor that's >17" for the same price come around in a couple months.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Time Served

LCD - real estate
CRT - black levels

In my book, it boils down to the above. I'm a big black level snob, got that way with my interest in home theater. So LCDs at this point are out of the question. Most people don't care or notice, so the LCD option is perfect.

oesm.org - Enterprise-grade web hosting (full DR, efficient virtualization, hardware firewalls)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLinkOZ
LCD - real estate
CRT - black levels

In my book, it boils down to the above. I'm a big black level snob, got that way with my interest in home theater. So LCDs at this point are out of the question. Most people don't care or notice, so the LCD option is perfect.
The mistake people make with LCD's is trying to use them in very dark rooms. since there is a back light it is impossible to get black. If you have a nice quality LCD and you are using it in a lit room its great.

I would never get rid of my 20" widescreen LCD... WOW looks sooooo good

"Apres moi le deluge"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement