Computer shuts down on its own..... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Where is Ms. Right?

Computer shuts down on its own.....

Ok, so I built this computer to have as a multimedia pc in my living room. All was going good until it finally booted xp Multimedia center for the 1st time. Ever since then it stays on for anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes, then it just says "windows is shutting down". I've tried everything I can think of.

It's not hardware from what I can see. If I leave it in the BIOS it stays on forever so I don't think it's the CPU overheating. I changed heatsinks, and fans, and memory and all the hardware to try to pinpoint the problem.

I think it's a software issue. The problem is that I have no software installed besides XP MCE. It's getting really annoying. Even if I start it in safe mode it will shut down on its own. And there is no error reporting or anything.....Grr.....

Any ideas on what to do next? Thanks!

Memo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

you SURE it's not hardware? First thing i would do is log onto M$ and check the HCL for the components you used.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Texas Rangers #1

If you've narrowed it down to the OS, then reinstall it?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:41 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Could have a bug on it. A fresh install of XP on the net without a firewall or any service packs is like a drunk high school girl at prom.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Where is Ms. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz
you SURE it's not hardware? First thing i would do is log onto M$ and check the HCL for the components you used.
I'm never 100% sure but I've tested the video card, memory, hard drive, cpu, heatsink, fan, and everything. The only thing I have yet to test is power supply but it's brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
If you've narrowed it down to the OS, then reinstall it?
I have. I've reinstalled it a few times. I changed the partition, made new partitions, deleted it, reformatted, started from scratch and still same thing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Could have a bug on it. A fresh install of XP on the net without a firewall or any service packs is like a drunk high school girl at prom.
So you think that i'm getting a "virus" by installing xp mce while on the network? I've actually installed it both ways, on and off the internet. Still no luck.

Here's what I bought. I didn't buy it from here, but these are pretty much the specs.

http://www.acnt.com/product.asp?pf_id=BBP4V100

I bought it as a barebone pc and i added all the stuff to it. I used the Viewsonic recovery cd's to install XP media center on it. Do you think this could be a problem? I have a regular copy of xp home edition, but I want to make use of all the built in features that the motherboard has, not to mention use it as a legit multimedia pc. Any help is appreciated.....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 03:50 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

I have the same problem on my laptop, it is a window that goes into a countdown right, something along the lines of "windows had encountered a problem with lass32 and is about to shutdown" this is what it sez right? and it happens right after you boot up right?

If you go to the "START" and click on "RUN" a command window will open and type in "cmd" it will open a DOS window and type in "shutdown -a" hit "enter" (notice there is a space after shutdown) this will delete the "shutdown window" and you will be able to operate the computer normaly, you will have to do this everytime you boot up or you can simply leave it running all of the time like I do. I have no idea why this happens but I now how to make it go away...'Henry

Last edited by BOOSTED32V; 05-22-2006 at 04:08 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Where is Ms. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
I have the same problem on my laptop, it is a window that goes into a countdown right, something along the lines of "windows had encountered a problem with lass32 and is about to shutdown" this is what it sez right? and it happens right after you boot up right?

If you go to the "START" and click on "RUN" a command window will open and type in "cmd" it will open a DOS window and type in "shutdown -a" (notice there is a space after shutdown) this will delete the "shutdown window" and you will be able to operate the computer normaly, you will have to do this everytime you boot up or you can simply leave it running all of the time like I do. I have no idea why this happens but I now how to make it go away...'Henry
Actually I don't get any of that. If just starts to shut down, like it would normally do. It says, "Windows is Shutting Down" and thats it. Next thing I know is that its off, and when I turn it back on I don't get any of those screens that says "Windows has recovered from a serious error" or any error screens that ask if I want to report it to microsoft. Really annoying actually.....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 04:06 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

Wow that sounds really wierd, my home Comp was doing that and it turned out to be a virus, you probably need to boot upin "safe mode" and run a virus scan with a good Norton anti virus, that free shit never works...'Henry
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Where is Ms. Right?

Quote:
Wow that sounds really wierd, my home Comp was doing that and it turned out to be a virus, you probably need to boot upin "safe mode" and run a virus scan with a good Norton anti virus, that free shit never works...'Henry
It shuts down even in safe mode. I can't even stay online for more than 5 minutes on a good day. Usually about 45 seconds to 2 minutes at most.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 04:10 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

You might have a bad hard drive, PM Chris, I saw a sticky post where he is repairing computers part time and I know he will be more affordable that someplace you don't know and you can trust him too...'Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexchick View Post
I fuck, have sex, make love. If I break out the heels and leather...then a fucking it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutherjuggz View Post
Cupping the bawls always helps with the sensation, Good rule of thumb is to tell the gal to rub the balls any chance/angle she gets.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Lifer

I would try a clean install of your xp home after formatting the hard drive to see if it is the operating system causing the problem; My computer will run fine with xp home and xp pro-sp1 but will not stay running with sp2 could be a similiar problem.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Time Served

Quote:

If you go to the "START" and click on "RUN" a command window will open and type in "cmd" it will open a DOS window and type in "shutdown -a" hit "enter" (notice there is a space after shutdown) this will delete the "shutdown window" and you will be able to operate the computer normaly, you will have to do this everytime you boot up or you can simply leave it running all of the time like I do. I have no idea why this happens but I now how to make it go away...'Henry

Sounds like Sasser.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...er.b.worm.html

oesm.org - Enterprise-grade web hosting (full DR, efficient virtualization, hardware firewalls)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 05:18 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Yes, this could be something like Sasser.

However, have you looked at the event logs? Click START > RUN and type in eventvwr. Look in the System log at the time of a shutdown. Do you see anything suspicous? Copy and post up anything you find...

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
That ain't no lie there. I had to learn the hard way.

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Shutting down

Hmm. Mine was doing the same thing about 2 weeks ago..

(((Going from 512 to 1 gig on mem)))

I had installed a block of 512
I didnt think much of it at first..
and it didnt do it on a standard time
it was always different.
The mem stick worked said I had 1 gig mem.
but would just shut off the system..
no errors.. I pulled out the 512 mem
and it never shut off again..

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I DO TAIL LIGHT BLACK OUTS & CAR AUDIO
GO TO http://www.youtube.com/user/ZX6RTOXIC
http://img185.imageshack.us/slidesho...808844pkv.smil
http://img440.imageshack.us/slidesho...497318cwp.smil
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 04:31 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Yes, this could be something like Sasser.

However, have you looked at the event logs? Click START > RUN and type in eventvwr. Look in the System log at the time of a shutdown. Do you see anything suspicous? Copy and post up anything you find...
This is a more detailed version of what I was going to suggest. In short... x2

The event viewer is a must for this situation.

My '03 Sold.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Time Served

memory

i bought new memory when building my last pc,it would shut down on it's own at random times.i took out the memory put in one new stick and ran it.problem solved.then started adding the others i had one at a time to see which one was bad.tossed the bad and haven't had a problem since
Sponsored Links
Advertisement