Wireless Network - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Wireless Network

okay, I was wondering how i would go about setting up a wireless network in my house.....

I dont wanna pay some dude money to do it and I'd rather get some used Ebay parts to do it. i know I need a wireless router and those cards for my desktop PC's..... Other than that...what else would i need and how would I set it up?

-Frank Salas

Oh yeah... and if I have a wireless network, would i be able to access files from one computer to another? I guess that would be a LAN...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Its very simple really.

Buy a new wireless router.
Buy new wireless cards for your pcs, with the possible exception of the one closest to the router.
Buy cables.
Follow instructions provided with router and cards.

Then you can access your files on one computer from another.....provided you change some 'sharing&security settings', or put the wanted files in a 'shared network folder'. Its really quite simple. And a wireless network.....is a Local Area Network.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 12:01 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sariat
okay, I was wondering how i would go about setting up a wireless network in my house.....

I dont wanna pay some dude money to do it and I'd rather get some used Ebay parts to do it. i know I need a wireless router and those cards for my desktop PC's..... Other than that...what else would i need and how would I set it up?

-Frank Salas

Oh yeah... and if I have a wireless network, would i be able to access files from one computer to another? I guess that would be a LAN...
Just buy new equipment, and only wireless cards for the PC's away from the router. The new wireless router has the instructions on how to set up your wireless network. Once you do it, feel free to his me up on aim fore the rest

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Lifer

i've had a wireless network for years now... well i now upgraded to Verizon Fios and the D link router they gave me, my file sharing doesn't work anymore (i've set up the network again and still no luck)... Help?

question 2
ofcourse all my notebook cards are are "B", and the router is G.. with my desktop (wired) i get the 15 mbps downloads.. .but the the "b" cards at most 4.. I assume it is b/c of the downgrade from "G" router to "B" card... is that correct?

shm short block, vortech s trim, 3.55's, AFM power pipe,etc..
S/c cobra (me) vs N20 cobra race 2

S/c Cobra vs N2O Cobra Race 3
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Psycho Pilot Racing

yup and when you set up to share the stuff on you network...make sure you share everything so your neighbors can see what you have on your pc

**Disclaimer: Opinions cited by me are not necessarily my opinions.
Facts cited by me are not necessarily facts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement