First time computer builder! HDD question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Question First time computer builder! HDD question

OK so i got my new machine put together, evertything minus the HDD(i ordered wrong type).

I was wondering if i could somehow use the 40gb HDD off another computer that already has XP on it to run my new setup.

I tried earler but an error screen keeps coming up saying that the HDD is corrupted, even though it runs fine on the other setup.

Is this even possible to do without reformatting the hdd? if so what should I do?

Thanks for all replies, Taylor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Rebuilding

You will need to go into the BIOS (usually by hitting the "delete" key when powering up) and change the disk type to the type you are trying to put in (cylinders, sectors, heads). Even if you do this and get the BIOS to recognize it, it will still go through a lot of "new hardware found" messages while the OS attempts to load the proper drivers for the new motherboard/hardware it recognizes.
I would only do this if you will be satisfied with the 40gb disk and not have to do it over again when you get another disk.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:57 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddy
You will need to go into the BIOS (usually by hitting the "delete" key when powering up) and change the disk type to the type you are trying to put in (cylinders, sectors, heads). Even if you do this and get the BIOS to recognize it, it will still go through a lot of "new hardware found" messages while the OS attempts to load the proper drivers for the new motherboard/hardware it recognizes.
I would only do this if you will be satisfied with the 40gb disk and not have to do it over again when you get another disk.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddy

Thanks for the advice Im ordering a new hdd right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement