can you turn an Ipod into this - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Dont Be Stupid

can you turn an Ipod into this

Is there anyway that you can turn an Ipod into a mass storage unit to hold data along with music too...

95 gt - Work in progress...306,TFS heads,Holley systemax II,--It's Alive..After 3 years

2000 S-10 ZR2...Needs tires and a lift bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Timmay

Quote:
Originally Posted by black50
Is there anyway that you can turn an Ipod into a mass storage unit to hold data along with music too...
I think you can just connect it to your computer and it will be in windows explorer as a drive. No work necessary.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 01:49 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Depends on the model. They'll all hold contact lists and the shuffles will work just like a thumb drive. The photos and video models will hold photos and videos but I don't think other random files are supported.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Trailer Park Royalty

i think you jus plug it in like you would a jump drive

03 cobra 450/443--2.93 upper, JLT CAI, o/r x, dumped flows, SRA w/3.73s
94 Z71-dd
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Dont Be Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Depends on the model. They'll all hold contact lists and the shuffles will work just like a thumb drive. The photos and video models will hold photos and videos but I don't think other random files are supported.
I have the 30gig vid..

95 gt - Work in progress...306,TFS heads,Holley systemax II,--It's Alive..After 3 years

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Time Served

It is possible, but requires some pretty hefty knowledge and entails voiding your warranty. Given that you are asking about it here, I would suggest you use it as it was intended and buy a thumb drive.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Long Live T.S.

if you can not just drag and drop ..you might want to try and change the file extention to .mp3 or somthing and try and trick it

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Very Interesting

use a third party software, such as anapod, i think it will let you put files on the ipod, but you'll need a copy on both pcs.

I use it instead of sorry ass itunes
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Time Served

http://www.wrightthisway.com/Articles/000154.html

oesm.org - Enterprise-grade web hosting (full DR, efficient virtualization, hardware firewalls)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

i use my sandisk mp3 player for a flash drive.. works fine with .ppt, .doc, and .exe's as far as i've tried.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Strong to Quite Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
use a third party software, such as anapod, i think it will let you put files on the ipod, but you'll need a copy on both pcs.

100% agree with everything. Get Anapod...loose the bloated mess of iTunes.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt

I definately agree with this. ITunes is the suck!!!1!!!
I'm tellin ya, man. It is possible, but you'd be better off getting another form of storage than heading down this road...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Lifer

LOL @ some of the experts.
# Before manually placing the iPod into Disk Mode you should verify that it has a charge, if not you need to either charge iPod before continuing or connect it to power. You can either connect it to a high-powered USB port, or plug the iPod Power Adapter into an electrical outlet and connect iPod to the power adapter.
# Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
# Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least 6 seconds until the Apple logo appears.
# When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.
5. Disconnect iPod from the power adapter and connect it to your computer; the screen on the iPod will change and say "Do not disconnect"

If you are having difficulty putting an iPod model with a Click Wheel into Disk Mode, set the iPod on a flat surface. Make sure that the finger pressing the Select button is not touching the Click Wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Play/Pause button toward the outside of the Click Wheel and not near the center.

If you are still unable to put your iPod with a Click Wheel into Disk Mode, use one finger from one hand to press the Select button, and one finger from the other hand to press the Play/Pause button.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 10:00 PM
No, I don't have a turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
LOL @ some of the experts.
# Before manually placing the iPod into Disk Mode you should verify that it has a charge, if not you need to either charge iPod before continuing or connect it to power. You can either connect it to a high-powered USB port, or plug the iPod Power Adapter into an electrical outlet and connect iPod to the power adapter.
# Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
# Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least 6 seconds until the Apple logo appears.
# When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.
5. Disconnect iPod from the power adapter and connect it to your computer; the screen on the iPod will change and say "Do not disconnect"

If you are having difficulty putting an iPod model with a Click Wheel into Disk Mode, set the iPod on a flat surface. Make sure that the finger pressing the Select button is not touching the Click Wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Play/Pause button toward the outside of the Click Wheel and not near the center.

If you are still unable to put your iPod with a Click Wheel into Disk Mode, use one finger from one hand to press the Select button, and one finger from the other hand to press the Play/Pause button.

thank you for taking the time to type that.. i was reading the responses, and was almost to the point of posting up, but you saved me from typing..

My wifes 2nd gen we used all the time to hold data, photos, etc to move them from computer to computer, or hold photo files while on vacation.. And my new 60g Video iPod spent it's first few days as a portable drive to move data..

It's possible, it's easy, and it's not magic.

Todd

Punxsutawney Jesus, Illuminati Elitist
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Dont Be Stupid

thanks guys for all the info,

I found that I can just drag and drop and it works just fine...

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 06:22 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I was about to say... just plug it in. It shows up as a drive in explorer, just like any external hdd would.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement