Hard Drive/ Windows problem? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Bond Company Stooge

Hard Drive/ Windows problem?

Well, I have a Dell inspirion laptop and it won't boot. It gives me this message

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\system32\c_437.nls

Is this a drive problem or a software problem?
Then it asks for the origonal Windows setup disk, which I have, to repair it. But I'm not to sure how I go about doing that....... It will NOT boot in safe mode so.....

Dell has already sent me another HD. I backed most of my crap up but I would like to get it to boot and get some data I failed to back up. How would I get this drive to boot once more?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Time Served

May try placing your windows cd in the drive and select repair from the options
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Time Served

Take the original drive (with the missing file) and mount it as a slave after the new drive is in place. Spend a day pulling your data before returning it.

Or, you could simply find the missing file (look on the XP disc, possibly within the .cab files), stick it on a floppy and go into the recovery console (assuming XP) and copy it into the proper location.

oesm.org - Enterprise-grade web hosting (full DR, efficient virtualization, hardware firewalls)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Bond Company Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLinkOZ
Take the original drive (with the missing file) and mount it as a slave after the new drive is in place. Spend a day pulling your data before returning it.

Or, you could simply find the missing file (look on the XP disc, possibly within the .cab files), stick it on a floppy and go into the recovery console (assuming XP) and copy it into the proper location.
I boot from the XP Cd, and get to the Recovery Console, but I am clueless where to go from here.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Time Served

Don't go through the recovery console, go past that point as if you're installing windows all over again, it will then give the option to "repair" installation...this is the option you want. Just sit back and it'll do it's thing...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Bond Company Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake007
Don't go through the recovery console, go past that point as if you're installing windows all over again, it will then give the option to "repair" installation...this is the option you want. Just sit back and it'll do it's thing...
OK so reinstall option on the same screen before the recovery console, then look for a repair option. I just don't want to delete all my crap in the process.
Thanks for the help.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealsnake93
OK so reinstall option on the same screen before the recovery console, then look for a repair option. I just don't want to delete all my crap in the process.
Thanks for the help.
Nope...after the "recovery console" screen....Here's some instructions...

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R". Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the listy and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement