IT guys to the resuce? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
3rd shift sloucher

IT guys to the resuce?

Ok working for a small company setting up a network of about 20 computers
I came in and the place was a MESS! Illegal licenses, Incorrect network naming, random IP's assigned all sorts of good stuff. I get all of these problems sorted out, get them 20 legal copys of Windows 2000 pro, and 20 legal copys of Office 2003. Me and there SQL guy have been working to finish a program that uses SBS 2003/SQL server to feed the program that helps with data entry. Now the problem, I am getting errors on the server that my license is nearing the limit of 5 that im allowed to use. Now here is my question, do I need a "user" licenses for EVERY single user that is going to try to connect to the SBS/SQL server? or what?! Microsoft is very UNHELP full with this.

Cliff notes: Trying to connect 20 pc's to SBS/SQL server do i need CAL for each user trying to connect to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 11:20 AM
El Camino

I havent used sbs much lately but there are some quirks to it and I wouldnt put it past MS to limit the number of connections to an SBS server. I know you cannot have more than 1 SBS server on the domain.

Worst case I've got a copy of it in my technet cd's and I can play around with it.

edit: here's some info I found on SBS licensing

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServ...licensing.mspx

Looks like you have to have a CAL per user/device and its not concurrent.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
3rd shift sloucher

The server was bitching at us about to many if the same cd-key being used on xp so i had that fixed and now i found out that the other guy installed server 2003 on 3 more computers and they where all running there own lil server i guess, so I am going to go format them real fast and install 2000 on them and see if that fixs the problem. Also I need to know if the SQL client tools req a CAL or and type of licensing per computer to talk to the SQL server.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 11:52 AM
El Camino

I install SQL client tools on my front end web servers to help in testing any db connectivity issues.

I don't think it uses a CAL.

Quote:
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiSk
Ok working for a small company setting up a network of about 20 computers
I came in and the place was a MESS! Illegal licenses, Incorrect network naming, random IP's assigned all sorts of good stuff. I get all of these problems sorted out, get them 20 legal copys of Windows 2000 pro, and 20 legal copys of Office 2003. Me and there SQL guy have been working to finish a program that uses SBS 2003/SQL server to feed the program that helps with data entry. Now the problem, I am getting errors on the server that my license is nearing the limit of 5 that im allowed to use. Now here is my question, do I need a "user" licenses for EVERY single user that is going to try to connect to the SBS/SQL server? or what?! Microsoft is very UNHELP full with this.

Cliff notes: Trying to connect 20 pc's to SBS/SQL server do i need CAL for each user trying to connect to it?
Risk, sounds like to me you are trying to connect to SQL via "Windows Authenication" if that is the case you will need a CAL for each user. If you switch to "SQL Authenication" and use the same username / password for each connection to the SQL server you can get by with 1 CAL as SQL/SBS will see it as one user.

Silver 2005 Mustang GT
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Time Served

Quote:
The server was bitching at us about to many if the same cd-key being used on xp so i had that fixed and now i found out that the other guy installed server 2003 on 3 more computers and they where all running there own lil server i guess, so I am going to go format them real fast and install 2000 on them and see if that fixs the problem. Also I need to know if the SQL client tools req a CAL or and type of licensing per computer to talk to the SQL server.
SQL client tools requires a CAL.

Silver 2005 Mustang GT
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
3rd shift sloucher

Ok so per machine, I have to license Windows 2000, SQL Client tools, and Office,
So basicly its going to cost the company 1900 bucks to get the 20 pcs that are on the floor able to connect to the server? So i can use a SQL database to feed a program? Might be time to go back to the drawing board.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Time Served

Do you have to install SQL client tools on each machine?

Silver 2005 Mustang GT
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
3rd shift sloucher

No only the client connection, this doesnt req a CAL does it?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:07 PM
El Camino

Quote:
Ok so per machine, I have to license Windows 2000, SQL Client tools, and Office,
So basicly its going to cost the company 1900 bucks to get the 20 pcs that are on the floor able to connect to the server? So i can use a SQL database to feed a program? Might be time to go back to the drawing board.
http://www.mysql.com/

Quote:
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
3rd shift sloucher

LOL thanks I am not the one running this show, the other guy is I am just trying to fig out how I am going to make it all work
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
3rd shift sloucher

See now when i am installing the Client Connection it is poping up an error on my server machine that its license is in use to many times.

Last edited by RiSk; 04-12-2006 at 12:59 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
3rd shift sloucher

Why cant this be easy oh well off to see if i can make it work.... Oh and Microsoft is officaly NO HELP
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Time Served

if you database is less then 4gb then http://www.microsoft.com/sql/edition...s/default.mspx would be an option where you don't have to worry about licences.

Silver 2005 Mustang GT
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Long Live T.S.

LOL You need to pay me to answer your questions since you are getting paid for the work foo!

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
3rd shift sloucher

well i dont understand wtf is going on,

I have A legit version of Windows 2000 pro, and a legit version of 2003 office on every machine, and a legit version of sbs 2003 on the server and there is 20 terminals and they are gettin denied access to files and what not saying "to many are logged on". Thats BS sbs2003 has unlimited connection it says per net config server command wtf is going on....
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Long Live T.S.

quick tip...unplug one from the network and see if you are still getting that error..also look at how many users on the network...it sounds like that are trying to share the same files at the same time

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
3rd shift sloucher

Glad i didnt pay you the CAL was only allowing 13 connections to the server, i can have 16000+ instances of the file open befor it starts to bitch
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 04:43 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

I'm glad I dont deal with MS and its licensing. mysql + php imo

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
3rd shift sloucher

I am working on that route but the DBA that wrote the front end is not intrested in changing his connection string, and re doing part of the program he just wrote... I was like "......"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement