yet another firefox bitch... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
yet another firefox bitch...

damnitt its a fuckin mem hog!!!!!!!! wtf! why?

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:26 AM
Time Served

Wieners, buy more ram or stop knockin firefox.

-Clayton
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:27 AM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

ram is the key...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:32 AM
\(_o)/

Very informative post.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:34 AM
Packin' up...

clap clap clap, i'll build you a computer for 5 bills

3800+. 1 gig ram, 200 gig hd, cdrw
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:34 AM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark
clap clap clap, i'll build you a computer for 5 bills

3800+. 1 gig ram, 200 gig hd, cdrw
i can steal you one, for $200...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 12:42 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
damnitt its a fuckin mem hog!!!!!!!! wtf! why?
Compared to what? IE? Open as many IE windows as you have FF tabs, all to the same pages with the same "Back" histories. Then see if you're still bitching about how much memory FF uses.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Taliban can SUCK IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Compared to what? IE? Open as many IE windows as you have FF tabs, all to the same pages with the same "Back" histories. Then see if you're still bitching about how much memory FF uses.
i couldnt IE encountered and error and had to shut down

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 01:03 PM
BANNED

glad i spent 10 seconds of my life reading this
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
all i have to do is open ff and boom 50-80megs of ram just dissapears!

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 08:15 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

hmmm...I just opened mine while watching coolmon, it was only ~20.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
i can steal you one, for $200...

Ya know I have this eBay business.......no questions asked is the standard policy....

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 08:14 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
hmmm...I just opened mine while watching coolmon, it was only ~20.
That sounds about right. I see anywhere from 15-25 megs when first opening FF.

Quote:
all i have to do is open ff and boom 50-80megs of ram just dissapears!
FF retains histories. By default, for 9 days. Those histories are in the cache, and get loaded with FF. It's a way to make pages you visit frequently, load faster. Unless you're on dial-up, you don't need this "feature", but because a majority of people on the internet are still on dial-up, this "feature" is enabled by default.

Set your history to 1 day, or 0 days (should be standard practice anyway, as there are plenty of ways to exploit histories in both IE and FF) Tools > Options > Privacy > History = 0

Like I said before, the same back histories, and same number of IE windows as FF tabs, and you'll see IE uses far more memory than FF. The only real difference is FF has all it's memory usage consolidated into one FF instance, while IE starts a new instance for each IE window, so individually it seems less, until you add them all up.

DarkWolf
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:23 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Man, I've never had a FF issue.

Funny how about 6 months ago, everyone was on the bandwagon of how cool ff is. Now, everyone seems to be joinin the FF sucks BW.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:35 PM
fuckcanada

You know those who say get more memory, that still doesn't fix the fact that Firefox does use an unusual amount of memory (sometimes more than 100mb).
I switched to IE7 from Firefox, and i really like IE7 it is a tad bit slower than firefox was and i'm happy to say the least.

But some of you are ignoring the fact that there are alot of people out there that are experiencing unusual memory usage from Firefox.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Raiden Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
You know those who say get more memory, that still doesn't fix the fact that Firefox does use an unusual amount of memory (sometimes more than 100mb).
I switched to IE7 from Firefox, and i really like IE7 it is a tad bit slower than firefox was and i'm happy to say the least.

But some of you are ignoring the fact that there are alot of people out there that are experiencing unusual memory usage from Firefox.
I'll agree with Roliath. I'm not saying I always have a memory issue with Firefox. But Every now and then I have to go into my processes and just wipe it out because it will get up there in the memory usage.

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:31 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

There's 3 things that will contribute to FF's memory usage. Extensions, History, and Back History. IE's affected by all but the extensions, since IE doesn't use extensions.

Naturally, the more extensions you load in FF, the more memory it's going to require. That's the trade-off if you want a lot of functionality built into FF, beyond basic browsing. Also, some extensions do cause memory leaks. Adblock used to have one when blocking images that are set to reload/refresh automatically, basically each time the image refreshed, adblock took another chunck of memory equal to the size of the image being blocked. From my understanding, it was fixed in the latest version of Adblock, and has been fixed in Adblock Plus for a while now. But it just goes to show that even some of the best extensions, regularly maintained, (not some random dude hacking away in his basement for some obscure extension that only he and maybe one other person in the world would use) could be causing problems.

Extensions I use on every install of Firefox I perform:
Adblock
Filterset.G Updater

That's all that's really needed, though I also install "Tab Clicking Options", "Tabbrowser Preferences", "Download Manager Tweak", "DownThemAll", and "IE Tab" on my personal machines (IE Tab only on my windows ones since I don't actually have the IE browser installed. It's nice on the rare occasion I'm faced with an IE only site ... which isn't very often. I try to avoid them.)

The History issue, as I stated above, can be fixed easily by setting your History to 0.

Back History is a little trickier, and was introduced in FF 1.5. Basically FF stores each page you visit in it's back history (hit the back button and it goes back to the previous page), same as IE. The problem comes up, when you have extensive back histories (by default FF will store something around 8 pages in it's back history), across multiple tabs (each tab has it's own individual back history). There's no gui switch to change this setting, but there is a configuration setting that can be changed. Most people never go back more than 5 pages, so 8 is a bit excessive. And actually, the number of pages FF goes back is scaled up based on how much memory you have in your machine. The more memory, obviously, the more pages it will store in it's back history.

In the address bar, type "about:config" without the quotes, and hit enter. This brings you to the "hidden" configuration of Firefox. Hit Ctrl-F and search for: browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers

If you're using 1.0.7, don't bother, it won't be there. It's only in 1.5 and above.

By default, it's set to -1, which tells FF to scale based on system memory. If you set it to 0, it will disable the back history cacheing. You'll still be able to use the "Back" button, it's just that the page you're going back to isn't stored in memory, so it will have to be re-rendered. Again, not really a problem if you're on broadband. This was another "feature" added to speed up browsing for people on dial-up. If you set it to 1, it will only cache one page back, and subsequently any number higher is how many it will cache back, but the trade off is each page takes up memory, so the more you cache, the more memory is going to be required.

I set mine to 0. I rarely go "Back", as I usually open all links (including forum posts/threads) in a new tab, and close the tab after I'm done with it. But the times I do go "Back", I've not noticed any adverse behavior by having the value set to 0.

DarkWolf
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:40 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:

Currently, I'm sitting at 115mb usage from Firefox. I've got 12 tabs open. Not too bad, considering each IE instance swallows 10-40mb+ each * 12 = 120 - 480mb usage. I'll admit, this is the most I've seen being used, but then again, I don't often have 12 tabs open and active all the time. I usually only have 3 or 4, and rarely see 80mb usage, usually in the 40-50mb range.

DarkWolf
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:47 PM
fuckcanada

IE6 and below didn't have tabbed browsing..
IE7 does.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 12:08 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
IE6 and below didn't have tabbed browsing..
IE7 does.
I know, but as IE7's currently only in beta, it's probably not the best idea to completely replace IE6 just yet. No telling what new holes it's going to open up... hell, 3 or 4 were reported just hours after it was released to public beta.

How's IE7 on memory usage with multiple tabs open?

DarkWolf
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:16 AM
fuckcanada

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Bite Me!!!

well im going to give 7 a try as well... i love firefox but it is starting to piss me off on several little things...
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 12:06 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Besides being amazingly fugly, mem usage isn't too bad. That's about what I get normally with FF with 3 or 4 tabs open, 40-50's about average, looks like IE7's a tad lower actually.

FF2 is switching to a SQLite database backend, so that should help lower some memory usage. It just got released in alpha, I'm thinking about testing it out.

DarkWolf
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 01:36 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Another flaw found in IE, including 7. This one labeled highly critical.

http://secunia.com/advisories/18680/

DarkWolf
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
There's 3 things that will contribute to FF's memory usage. Extensions, History, and Back History. IE's affected by all but the extensions, since IE doesn't use extensions.

Naturally, the more extensions you load in FF, the more memory it's going to require. That's the trade-off if you want a lot of functionality built into FF, beyond basic browsing. Also, some extensions do cause memory leaks. Adblock used to have one when blocking images that are set to reload/refresh automatically, basically each time the image refreshed, adblock took another chunck of memory equal to the size of the image being blocked. From my understanding, it was fixed in the latest version of Adblock, and has been fixed in Adblock Plus for a while now. But it just goes to show that even some of the best extensions, regularly maintained, (not some random dude hacking away in his basement for some obscure extension that only he and maybe one other person in the world would use) could be causing problems.

Extensions I use on every install of Firefox I perform:
Adblock
Filterset.G Updater

That's all that's really needed, though I also install "Tab Clicking Options", "Tabbrowser Preferences", "Download Manager Tweak", "DownThemAll", and "IE Tab" on my personal machines (IE Tab only on my windows ones since I don't actually have the IE browser installed. It's nice on the rare occasion I'm faced with an IE only site ... which isn't very often. I try to avoid them.)

The History issue, as I stated above, can be fixed easily by setting your History to 0.

Back History is a little trickier, and was introduced in FF 1.5. Basically FF stores each page you visit in it's back history (hit the back button and it goes back to the previous page), same as IE. The problem comes up, when you have extensive back histories (by default FF will store something around 8 pages in it's back history), across multiple tabs (each tab has it's own individual back history). There's no gui switch to change this setting, but there is a configuration setting that can be changed. Most people never go back more than 5 pages, so 8 is a bit excessive. And actually, the number of pages FF goes back is scaled up based on how much memory you have in your machine. The more memory, obviously, the more pages it will store in it's back history.

In the address bar, type "about:config" without the quotes, and hit enter. This brings you to the "hidden" configuration of Firefox. Hit Ctrl-F and search for: browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers

If you're using 1.0.7, don't bother, it won't be there. It's only in 1.5 and above.

By default, it's set to -1, which tells FF to scale based on system memory. If you set it to 0, it will disable the back history cacheing. You'll still be able to use the "Back" button, it's just that the page you're going back to isn't stored in memory, so it will have to be re-rendered. Again, not really a problem if you're on broadband. This was another "feature" added to speed up browsing for people on dial-up. If you set it to 1, it will only cache one page back, and subsequently any number higher is how many it will cache back, but the trade off is each page takes up memory, so the more you cache, the more memory is going to be required.

I set mine to 0. I rarely go "Back", as I usually open all links (including forum posts/threads) in a new tab, and close the tab after I'm done with it. But the times I do go "Back", I've not noticed any adverse behavior by having the value set to 0.
Darkwolf is one fart smeller!

Thanks btw.

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:15 PM
\(_o)/

Quote:
There's 3 things that will contribute to FF's memory usage. Extensions, History, and Back History.
Its just one, all these rednecks trying to understand a computer. 80MB to much usage for ya? Probably so on some old piece of shit laptop that has 128MB. QQ more nubs.

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Its just one, all these rednecks trying to understand a computer. 80MB to much usage for ya? Probably so on some old piece of shit laptop that has 128MB. QQ more nubs.
fyi... has 512mb, could use more. at the time when i started this thread it only had 256. btw, whats wrong with Redneck's?

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:37 PM
\(_o)/

Quote:
fyi... has 512mb, could use more. at the time when i started this thread it only had 256. btw, whats wrong with Redneck's?
Nothing, I was just being an asshole. Grats on the mem upgrade.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement