What's the deal with Firefox? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
fuckcanada

What's the deal with Firefox?

Okay, is it just me or is firefox going down hill?
I'm using 1.5.01 and at LEAST once a week firefox will lose all my bookmarks, themes, etc.. This is along with huge memory usage, and memory leaks.
Is anyone having any of these problems and how can I prevent this from happening again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Recovering Lush

I dunno...I've noticed it's now vulnerable to spyware, and like I said in another thread...it won't play with my auction mgmt software at all.....so I'm out on it.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Lifer

Yes, on the memory leaks. Especially after it's been opened for awhile or using anything that requires a Java applet.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Bite Me!!!

most of the time what i have found its not firefox its the addons you put in it.. after i removed a few "toys" it works perfect.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
fuckcanada

well, i just uninstalled Firefox, too much damn trouble lately.
So i've moved on to IE7 and try this out for awhile.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Bite Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
well, i just uninstalled Firefox, too much damn trouble lately.
So i've moved on to IE7 and try this out for awhile.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
fuckcanada

that bad huh?

It "looks" great and has some nifty features, but we'll see how it goes.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Mine crashes weekly at home, forget which version i'm using but I recently re-installed it and it's still giving me problems. Here at the office i'm using 1.0.7 and it's a bit more stable but it still gives me problems every couple of weeks. I noticed that if I leave a browser open for days on end like I do with IE, thats when it becomes unstable. Since I reboot daily here at the office, it tends to crash less.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Time Served

Thats weird cause my FF went into safe mode just a day or two ago so my skins arent showing up. I really REALLY dont want it to fuck up since I would lose a ton of bookmarks and I HATE IE. Maybe opera is the next alternative if FF dosent correct itself.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:29 PM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

no problems with my 1.5.01

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Mavs Fan For Life!

can someone explain these "memory leaks" what are they and how do you tell you have them?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:33 AM
The Janitor

memory leaks are when a program continues to gobble up memory allocations after it has been open. Basically, its like a snowball going downhill: the longer the prog. is open, the slower and clunkier things get.

I told you all this would happen about firefox, but some were like 'LOLZ, FIREFOX IS AWESOMZ! MICOROSFT SUX and FIREFX WILL NEVER HAVE ISSUES". Well, all it took was time for programmers to figure out the exploitations to firefox.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 10:45 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell
memory leaks are when a program continues to gobble up memory allocations after it has been open. Basically, its like a snowball going downhill: the longer the prog. is open, the slower and clunkier things get.

I told you all this would happen about firefox, but some were like 'LOLZ, FIREFOX IS AWESOMZ! MICOROSFT SUX and FIREFX WILL NEVER HAVE ISSUES". Well, all it took was time for programmers to figure out the exploitations to firefox.
And as soon as exploits are found, it's followed soon after with a fix if it's severe enough ... not on "patch tuesday" once a month when the exploits have ample time to propogate in the wild and affect countless systems.

And memory leaks have nothing to do with programmers finding exploits. Some people are experiencing the memory leaks, while others aren't. No one really seems to know what the problem is, other than the fact that it's only the Windows version of Firefox that seems to be affected. So the general consensus is it's something else interacting negatively with FF, not actually FF itself.

I'm personally not affected by it at home or at work, both running 1.5.01, same extensions on both. Mayhaps the people experiencing the problems have IE7 on their systems, and it's jacking with FF? That's been my guess at any recent "problems" with FF, is so many people acting like lemmings and downloading IE7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
I dunno...I've noticed it's now vulnerable to spyware, and like I said in another thread...it won't play with my auction mgmt software at all.....so I'm out on it.
I asked in the other thread what spyware you're seeing on Firefox. To my knowledge, none has been reported. There was a hoax last year, but no real spyware that directly affects Firefox.

There are exploits available through Java and Flash, however, that will allow spyware to install on your system if you have IE installed (ie: every Windows box in existence). That's not Firefox's fault. If malware uses a 3rd party add-on to bypass Firefox and get to IE, there's nothing Firefox or Mozilla can do about it. All you can do to protect yourself is to disable Java and Flash. Better yet, get the extensions that allow you to actively enable/disable Java and Flash based on the sites you visit, so if you know the site is safe, you can have FF enable Java/Flash for that site, but still block it on other sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
Thats weird cause my FF went into safe mode just a day or two ago so my skins arent showing up. I really REALLY dont want it to fuck up since I would lose a ton of bookmarks and I HATE IE. Maybe opera is the next alternative if FF dosent correct itself.
Generally all problems with FF can be fixed by deleting the Mozilla folder under c:\documents and settings\[username]\application data\

You'll want to backup the bookmarks.html file in there (do a search for bookmarks.html in the Mozilla folder, as firefox creates a random folder name for each profile). Just save it somewhere, delete the Mozilla folder, and restart Firefox. Once you've started it, shut it back down, copy the bookmarks.html back into the new profile folder created, and open firefox again. Should be good to go. You'll need to re-do skins and extensions unfortunately... just be critical on what you're re-adding, as it's generally stuff you add to FF that fucks it up. Perhaps test each thing you add individually, rather than installing all at the same time. Should at least let you know what's causing the fuck up so you don't install it again.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
fuckcanada

So far i haven't had any problems with IE7, when I view certain videos on websites Firefox would crash and IE7 has no issue playing them.
This might be my fault for not having the proper plug-in and what not but oh well.
Backing up the bookmarks like you stated unfortunately never did work for me, and I could never get my bookmarks back.
And i hate to say but i've turned my back on Firefox now due to the memory leaks I was experiencing. Playing WoW and having Firefox open to Thottbot.com would raise firefox's mem usage to about 100mb or higher.
Firefox is a great browser and maybe i'll go back to it once I figure out what caused the leaks, but keep this in mind with or without any extensions/themes it would still use up around 100mb.

______
I'm really digging this feature in IE7.

Last edited by Roliath; 03-07-2006 at 10:58 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:24 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

I've never had any problems with firefox, and I'd definately switch to Opera before I touch IE again.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:59 PM
The Janitor

[QUOTE=DarkWolf]And as soon as exploits are found, it's followed soon after with a fix if it's severe enough ... not on "patch tuesday" once a month when the exploits have ample time to propogate in the wild and affect countless systems.

And memory leaks have nothing to do with programmers finding exploits.
QUOTE]

Oh im sorry, i wasnt aware i could address two different points in a single post without them being associated and interlinked .
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:10 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Except you presented the two points in a way that appeared to be corrolated. I simply disassociated the association your initial post presented (whether you intended it to, or not).

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:22 PM

never had problems

89 Coupe
02 GT
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Generally all problems with FF can be fixed by deleting the Mozilla folder under c:\documents and settings\[username]\application data\

You'll want to backup the bookmarks.html file in there (do a search for bookmarks.html in the Mozilla folder, as firefox creates a random folder name for each profile). Just save it somewhere, delete the Mozilla folder, and restart Firefox. Once you've started it, shut it back down, copy the bookmarks.html back into the new profile folder created, and open firefox again. Should be good to go. You'll need to re-do skins and extensions unfortunately... just be critical on what you're re-adding, as it's generally stuff you add to FF that fucks it up. Perhaps test each thing you add individually, rather than installing all at the same time. Should at least let you know what's causing the fuck up so you don't install it again.
Bitchin. Ill try that but just so you know I havnt added any new skins or changed anything with FF. It was just in safe mode one day and thats why it was weird but not a real problem. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement