Any of you do I.T. Contracting for income? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

Any of you do I.T. Contracting for income?

A while back I asked about this and got mixed answers. I took a temp job which was my first in the business and had decent luck with it. Now that I've got a few years in the business I am ready to move on and expand my n00bish knowledge I have now. I will stay in the desktop support / tech support role just somewhere other than where I am at now.

I started with a recruiter who told me "You will NOT get hired direct and your contract is for 6 weeks only" - Like I mentioned above.. it's three years later and I did get hired. The place I am at now is just a dead end and I will not learn much more than what I know now and there are NO chances for promotion etc.

My question was directed towards - Which contractors / Temp services are better or have better qualities? I like the I.T. business much better than anything else I have done in the past so I don't want to leave it ...

I've been considering contracting through Robert Half for beginners... Do any of you guys have personal experience with them or others that you are willing to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 10:55 PM
The token Asian guy

I was never tied to a specific contracting agency.

When I was contracting, I went through PDS Tech. That was one of the 10 that Lockheed used. PDS had the best deal for me. It may be different for IT but in software engineering, I just had my resume on Monster.com and contracting houses would call to tell me of an opening in some company bla bla bla. If they sound legit, I gave them a copy of my resume. If not, no thanks. Same story for all my buddies at work that were job shoppers.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 12:14 AM
El Camino

I get sick of all the recruiters bugging me for contract stuff. Get your resume looking good and put it out on the sites and you should get hits.

Good luck in your search. I'm glad I got into IT when I did. I would imagine its tougher to get into and work up these days.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

I wish I was to the point (enough experience) to get to many calls where I had to tell recruiters to get lost. Unfortunately, right now, they don't

This recruiter that I am working with now really seems to know her stuff and has pretty much told me to "redo" my resume`. I knew it sucked but my creativity for stuff like that is not that good.

I guess I'll hold out to see what she/they have to offer and go from there. I think the contract experience will probably be pretty valuble in the long run.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 07:59 AM
The token Asian guy

Large companies with large projects (like Lockheed with the F-35) need to ramp up staffing then at the tail end of the development phase need to trim down. This is where contractors come in. You're filling a short term need for extra staffing. Then they can let you go without having to do a whole bunch of severance shit like they do with direct hires.

In some projects that are way behind schedule, the company will hire a bunch of desk warmers just to show their customer that they are working hard on it. Kinda stupid but it happens. I was with Boeing on a government project where we did this. We got 6 bodies from Manpower, paid them $10/hr and gave them miscellaneous jobs so all the engineers can devote 100% of their time to development and not be straddled with process shit.

Don't think your experience isn't good enough. Don't think contractors are all experts in their field. I had maybe 5-6 years in the field when I switch to a contract position. Some had less. A lot of companies have their core people that maintain the skills the company needs. Contractors fill the void all over the 'experience scale'. Head hunters at contract houses know this and will place people for all sorts of skill levels.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 04:50 PM

Brooks, 'word' is the company you are working for will be taken over by the customer when all of the assets have been aquired by the customer. Im not telling you what to do.. but hanging around a little while longer probably would not be a bad idea.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
Brooks, 'word' is the company you are working for will be taken over by the customer when all of the assets have been aquired by the customer. Im not telling you what to do.. but hanging around a little while longer probably would not be a bad idea.

Trey - That is some really interesting news there. It's almost worth hanging around to see what happens. I've been there a while now, You have my curiousity now..

I'd sure like to see that, no doubt. It would be worth staying there then.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Trey - That is some really interesting news there. It's almost worth hanging around to see what happens. I've been there a while now, You have my curiousity now..

I'd sure like to see that, no doubt. It would be worth staying there then.

If I were you I would stick around and shop there for a new gig. I hope to be back over there before the end of the year

I dont know how long it will take to aquire all the assets but from what I have heard they will be doing it as each old asset is refreshed. Could be a couple of years before that happens though. Then again, no one really knows for sure what the hell goes on there... not even the people that are supposed to know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement