itunes purchased music question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

itunes purchased music question

I've bought a few cds off itunes, and was wondering if anyone knows how to change the settings to where I could send them to people without them having to have my itunes id and password to listen to them, and upload them to the ipod, etc. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Taliban can SUCK IT!

i think it saves the files on your HD somewhere. do a search for them. also any music bought off itunes has a burn limit on it if you didnt know. you can only burn the songs 7 times then it will cause an error on the burn any time after that. really gay

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesmoke
i think it saves the files on your HD somewhere. do a search for them. also any music bought off itunes has a burn limit on it if you didnt know. you can only burn the songs 7 times then it will cause an error on the burn any time after that. really gay
Yeah, I know where the files are, I'm just having a problem sending them, and I didnt know about the limit, pretty stupid for actually paying for the music.

I've also tried converting the files to mp3's, and it fails everytime.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Taliban can SUCK IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50
Yeah, I know where the files are, I'm just having a problem sending them, and I didnt know about the limit, pretty stupid for actually paying for the music.

I've also tried converting the files to mp3's, and it fails everytime.
well if you have another burning program like Nero or something try making a CD with that and see if it will let you put them on that way and if you are daring enough delete them from the HD and them import them off the CD straight to the HD not iTunes and see if you can convert the impored file type

makes sence in my head but that doesnt mean its gona work

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
well if you have another burning program like Nero or something try making a CD with that and see if it will let you put them on that way and if you are daring enough delete them from the HD and them import them off the CD straight to the HD not iTunes and see if you can convert the impored file type

makes sence in my head but that doesnt mean its gona work
Hmm, that could work, but I doubt it. And I don't have any blank cd's right now to try it with, you do it for me

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Taliban can SUCK IT!

Quote:
Hmm, that could work, but I doubt it. And I don't have any blank cd's right now to try it with, you do it for me
after i found out about their only burn 7 times rule i stoped paying for it

and they are even more gay that i reformated so i lost them, thinking i could just get them again for free. Nope, they want me to pay again for somethign i already bought, screw itunes music store

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
after i found out about their only burn 7 times rule i stoped paying for it

and they are even more gay that i reformated so i lost them, thinking i could just get them again for free. Nope, they want me to pay again for somethign i already bought, screw itunes music store
Did you try going to advanced, and check for purchases? my computer has locked up in the middle of downloading albums before, and it worked when I went to that.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:54 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I think the 7 burn limit is on playlists, not the individual songs. So in essense, you could just make a new playlist, or change a song in the playlist, and get 7 more burns out of it. I could be wrong though, just hearsay. I don't actually use iTMS, even though it seems to be the most lenient DRM'd music available, I prefer my music to be available anytime, anywhere.

One thing you could do, though it will sacrifice a bit of quality, depending on how much of an audiophile you are, it may or may not make a difference to you... you could burn the songs to a CD, then rip the CD to .MP3, which you could then share to your hearts content. But you are going from a compressed format (quality loss), to uncompressed (no quality loss, but none gained either), back to compressed (more quality loss on top of the initial quality loss). You can somewhat mitigate the loss of quality by ripping at higher bitrates (say 190+), rather than the default 128.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
I think the 7 burn limit is on playlists, not the individual songs. So in essense, you could just make a new playlist, or change a song in the playlist, and get 7 more burns out of it. I could be wrong though, just hearsay. I don't actually use iTMS, even though it seems to be the most lenient DRM'd music available, I prefer my music to be available anytime, anywhere.

One thing you could do, though it will sacrifice a bit of quality, depending on how much of an audiophile you are, it may or may not make a difference to you... you could burn the songs to a CD, then rip the CD to .MP3, which you could then share to your hearts content. But you are going from a compressed format (quality loss), to uncompressed (no quality loss, but none gained either), back to compressed (more quality loss on top of the initial quality loss). You can somewhat mitigate the loss of quality by ripping at higher bitrates (say 190+), rather than the default 128.
Thanks for the ideas, I know itunes will let you convert the songs to mp3 192, I think 192 atleast. I'll have to try it, and see how it works.

What should I use to rip the files, just windows media, then transfer them to itunes?

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Taliban can SUCK IT!

Quote:
I think the 7 burn limit is on playlists, not the individual songs. So in essense, you could just make a new playlist, or change a song in the playlist, and get 7 more burns out of it.
it was in the Itunes FAQ, it said the file itself. you can stuill listen to it all you want just not burn it.

Quote:
thats prety much what i was getting at in my first post. i just suck at explinations

Last edited by Whitesmoke; 03-02-2006 at 12:48 PM.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
it was in the Itunes FAQ, it said the file itself.

thats prety much what i was getting at in my first post i just suck at explinations
Haha, any idea what I should use to rip it?

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Taliban can SUCK IT!

Quote:
Haha, any idea what I should use to rip it?
i have a freeware program at the house that works pretty good for being freeware, but i dont remember the name off the top of my head. Ill post it up when i get home if DarkWolf or someone else hasnt made a suggestion yet. I really only use iTunes to put shit on my iPod now. i use Nreo to burn CDs when i actualy make one.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

I see, thanks.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Wolverines!!!

Fuck Itunes, I theives my music and if I like the band I'll go buy the CD
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 03:50 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

If you have an iPod you can just access it like it was a thumbdrive and use the view hidden files feature and you should be able to access the files as .mp3's.

The program I use to rip CD's is CDex.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 04:27 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
If you have an iPod you can just access it like it was a thumbdrive and use the view hidden files feature and you should be able to access the files as .mp3's.

The program I use to rip CD's is CDex.
Yes on both accounts. The only drawback to the mp3's on an iPod, when they're transfered over, the names are converted to random hex codes. But the id3 tags are still retained, so you could easily use something like JJ MP3 Renamer to automatically rename the mp3's from the existing id3 tags, after copying them back to your hdd.

Copy to hdd, rename with JJ MP3 Renamer (all songs will be in one folder), then use iTunes to automatically sort all the songs into Artist/Album folders as it imports them into the library.

And I've used CDex for years. Great ripping app, fast, and pulls the metadata (id3) information from CDDB so you don't have to worry about re-tagging all the music you're burning/ripping.

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
http://jj.consti.de/jjsoftware/uk/welcome.html

DarkWolf
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Thanks again, but the cdexos link isn't working, I'll try the JJ mp3 thing first, and let y'all know how that goes.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

problem with the hidden files, the files are still mpeg4 audio files, and still protected, what do I need to do to get them to mp3's in the first place?

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Taliban can SUCK IT!

Quote:
problem with the hidden files, the files are still mpeg4 audio files, and still protected, what do I need to do to get them to mp3's in the first place?
http://cd-to-mp3.audiolaunch.com/cd-ripper/

that link should be working for CDex just so happens thats what i had on my computer here as well

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Thanks, I think I'm going to give up for today, lol.

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 11:15 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, the cdex link was borked, not really sure why. It should be up soon enough though. To get the aac files into mp3, you'll need to burn them to a cd, as an audio cd (80 minutes of music at a time... could take a while ), then rip those audio cd's to mp3 files.

JHymn used to auto strip the DRM from the aac files, but it doesn't work as of iTunes 6, so until they update it to crack the new DRM, the only option is burn audio cd's and rip 'em.

DarkWolf
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Yeah, the cdex link was borked, not really sure why. It should be up soon enough though. To get the aac files into mp3, you'll need to burn them to a cd, as an audio cd (80 minutes of music at a time... could take a while ), then rip those audio cd's to mp3 files.

JHymn used to auto strip the DRM from the aac files, but it doesn't work as of iTunes 6, so until they update it to crack the new DRM, the only option is burn audio cd's and rip 'em.
I dont think I can even burn and rip them, they're mpeg-4 audio files.

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 05:10 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

You should be able to burn them in iTunes (assuming you haven't hit the 7 burn limit yet). Edit > Options > Advanced > Burning and make sure it's set to Audio CD (I think it defaults to Data CD)

Then you just create a playlist of music, keep it under 80 minutes for an Audio CD, then right-click on the playlist, and choose "Burn Playlist to Disc"

DarkWolf
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
You should be able to burn them in iTunes (assuming you haven't hit the 7 burn limit yet). Edit > Options > Advanced > Burning and make sure it's set to Audio CD (I think it defaults to Data CD)

Then you just create a playlist of music, keep it under 80 minutes for an Audio CD, then right-click on the playlist, and choose "Burn Playlist to Disc"
Thanks, Ill try it now and see how it goes.

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Sweet, it's working so far, I'm just using windows media to rip it, the file names are all working and everything too

Thanks everybody

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:08 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Heh, just make sure Windows Media Player isn't ripping them to WMA I think it defaults to that format. You'll be trading one form of DRM for another.

The link Whitesmoke posted goes to a download mirror for CDex, since their main site is down.

DarkWolf
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Heh, just make sure Windows Media Player isn't ripping them to WMA I think it defaults to that format. You'll be trading one form of DRM for another.

The link Whitesmoke posted goes to a download mirror for CDex, since their main site is down.
I tried that, but it wouldn't go to mp3 for some reason, so I'm just doing wma to mp3 with the imtoo converter I have, the quality wont bother me much anyways

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 03:57 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I dunno, it's kinda like recording a tape from an FM station, then dubbing another copy for a friend... just starts to get shitty :-/ It may not be immediately noticable, but generally you'll start hearing "tinny" or "watery" sounds from the higher pitched notes, or a complete lack of any of the lower notes. It's especially noticable if you play on even a halfway decent stereo, be it in the car or at home.

I play 128kbps mp3's I ripped from original CD's, both on my stereo, and in the car, and the "watery" sound is pretty obvious on some of the stuff. And neither of my audio sources are anywhere near "high-end", they're just average, mid-range, puts out a decent sound and don't really need anything more.

It bothered me enough that I went back to the more definitive CD's in my collection that I will always have (ie: I used to have 500+ cd's, but after ripping them all, I took 350-400 and sold them to used cd stores, keeping only the ones that are my favorites), and re-ripped them at 256kbps. I acutally test ripped a few at 320kbps and 256kbps and with my setups, I couldn't hear any differences between the two, so didn't see a need to waste the space on 320kbps rips. If someday I get better equipment, and again am not satisfied with the 256kbps rips, I'll re-rip the CD's again at 320kbps, or possibly even go with something lossless like flac when I've got the disposable HDD space available.

128kbps seems to be pretty good for generally anything, but to be on the safe side, anything new I get, I go for 192kbps... unless it's a new album from one of the bands whose music I deem worthy of 256kbps

I'd get CDex from the link whitesmoke posted, and use that to go from the CD to mp3, rather than CD to wma to mp3. The fewer recompressions, the better.

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement