This is a long shot...(Animated .GIFs and NES Emulation) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Raiden Wins

This is a long shot...(Animated .GIFs and NES Emulation)

This is a long shot for this board, but I figured I'd ask. Has anyone ever screwed around with making animated .GIFs off of NES roms. Most NES emulators allow you to take screenshots, which I've made animated .GIFs that way by taking several consecutive screenshots, but it is a hassle. I don't know of any other emulators that allow you to record in .AVI format or any others except for NNNesterJ. However, I think that is the root of my problem. When I load the .AVI in ImageReady the colors are bright and distorted...so I guess my question is (if anyone actually decides to read this thread):

Do you know of an emulator that can export video files?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 04:41 AM
Jimmy who ... ?

I have a few NES emulators (along with SNES and Genesis), but I got them for playing the ROM's, not for trying to video capture. I'll have to check them out when I get some time, see what I can come up with.

Rob
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 10:40 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

You might look into sprite/tile sets, instead of the rom/screencap method. I know Brian from 8-Bit theater uses a sprite set from Final Fantasy which has every sprite, including alternates for the 2-3 frame "animations" used to create the walk sequencing, etc. All characters, classes, npc's, mobs, bosses, weapons/equipment, interface elements, etc.

I also think David from Bob & George does the same thing, only uses multiple sprite sets for the various Mega Man games.

Basically the sprite sets are created by someone pulling the sprites/tiles from the rom files themselves. They're usually tiny. Like NES sprites/tiles are generally 16x16 pixels up to 48x48 pixels for some of the larger bosses.

If there aren't sets available for the games you're using, you might look for level editors for the game system itself, which should let you extract the sprites/tiles from the game rom's yourself.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Raiden Wins

Sweet. What format are these sprite/tiles in? Are they basically just still frame images? Mega Man was one of the main games I was thinking of. You got me reading this Bob and George thing now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Raiden Wins

Nevermind. Dark!! Thanks for the tip as always. I found the most kickass website ever.

Edit: well...sorta kickass website...it will satisfy me for now.

Last edited by def1eppard; 03-01-2006 at 11:19 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:47 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Glad I could help Usually the tile sets are in .bmp format, to preserve the original image. .gif could also work, since most sprite based games don't have more than 256 colors on screen at a time, not until PSX at least.

DarkWolf
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Raiden Wins

Yeah now I'm probably gonna try to start sprite ripping myself now. Just another small media collection obsession I have. I have every cinematic cutscene for all 3 Metal Gear Solid games now. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:57 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Hahah, I hear ya. I did the same thing with the PSX Final Fantasy's

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement