Network help Please! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Network help Please!

Ok this is beginning to be re' god damn' diculous :P but anyways well Its all because of WoW why i dont know i just got tired of trying to lvl new character and everytime i turn in a quest i would getdisconnected it started to get really annoying so i googled a fix and it brought me to the WOw website technical support page and i followed the instructions " If you have a Power Management tab in your network card properties, click it and unselect the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" if selected.

On the Advanced tab, You can also try changing the Speed/Duplex to Force 100 Full Duplex. This has shown to fix these types of issues as well. To do this, go into your computer properties, and then into your device manager. Locate your network card, and go into the properties for it. click on the advanced tab, and you should see a list of items. One of them should be Speed/duplex settings. Change this to Force base 100 Full duplex. If you have an older router or hub you may need to use base 10 full duplex.

You may also have a Checksum Offload property on the Advanced tab, if so you can try choosing the Disabled option."

so i did all these and wow it really worked.. im on a linksys v2 4 port router and im not directly connected to it my sister's computer is the host and my brother and i and my laptop are connected to the router. Well she came home last night and told me the internet wasnt working i didnt think anything of it and just kept playing i was so glad i can turn in more then 2 quest without getting disconnected and well she thought she was could be network smart and unplug the router and the cable internet and plug it back in well then after this i couldnt get a connection anymore ;[ so i was pissed i let it reset and still so i reset my network settings to what they were and then bam internet started working again but her's wasnt but my laptop and my brothers' was working. I have changed ethernet cables throughout the router i changed all settings back on my computer and nothing still on hers. it shows as if the network card isnt connected but here is where i think if someone is really good at netwokring can figure this one out. When i change her network settings to 100 full duplex it shows the network card to be connected but no internet but when i change it to when it was working (original settings) it shows as if the card is not plugged in. And on the router All of our computers when plugged in shows 3 lights in a vertical line all lit up. Well on hers the Ful/col i think its what its called(the middle light) isnt on.

Sorry for being so long i hope someone reads this. I tried to be as descriptive as possible so i dont have tohear the same steps that i have already tried. Maybe someone can help please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 03:14 PM
duh...duh....duh

1st - Check the port settings on your router. Chances are they are auto/auto, and you'll want your NIC to be auto/auto. If possible set the ports to 100/full on the router, then set your NIC to 100/Full. Never hard set one end, while the other is look for autonegotiation.

2nd - You are troubleshooting phyisical layer crap and seem to be able to get it working. Once you got your little blinky lights, do an ipconfig /all and check to see if you're getting an IP address and all that.

3rd - If you got an IP address and default gateway configed, ping your default gateway. Do this via cmd line...."ping ###.###.###.###" The #s are the numbers for your default gateway.

If no IP address, you need to check the DHCP settings on your router....

4th - If that works, ping www.yahoo.com

5th - If that works, you are good to go and your browser is the problem. If it does not, check to make sure it resolved it to an IP address. If it did not, it is a DNS issue.

Also, ping www.yahoo.com from your router to make sure it can ping it and resolve the address. If you can't, you need to call your ISP/replace/fix that router.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

lol well thanks for the help lol i got bored and reset the bios and bam it worked :O go figure ;[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement