modem blinking like crazy (and x-box live problems) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
PVC Racing

modem blinking like crazy (and x-box live problems)

it just blinks real crazy, even when I unplug the router from it , the recv is blinking.

Right now, enet, sending,recv is all blinking. I really don't think it should be blinking that much all the time. I think it thats what been cauing my x-box live to have problems. That messes up every now and then. It goes to the troubleshooting screen and says it couldn't find the DNS. I am running 2 x-box at my house both with wireless to the same router. Anyone else have 2 x-box at there house on x-box live?

do you think its my modem? I never have any problems on the net.

"Less talkie talkie more ping pong"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Banned

I'm not running two xbox's but I am having the same problem with comcast right now. It's weird if I go through trouble shooter it will say DNS error then I go into setting's let it run trouble shooter again. Then do it one more time and it works for a few games then I have to do it all over again.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Time Served

every time i try to get on live with both of my xboxes it kicks one of them off for some reason but i have one running through my comp so that might have something to do with it, have you tried forcing the mac address on both of them

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow97_4.6
I'm not running two xbox's but I am having the same problem with comcast right now. It's weird if I go through trouble shooter it will say DNS error then I go into setting's let it run trouble shooter again. Then do it one more time and it works for a few games then I have to do it all over again.

I dont do the xbox thing but i use comcast as well and sofar in less than one month of service nothing but problems. A tech is coming out for the third time this morning, something about signal being outta range(dB level) or something.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
I dont do the xbox thing but i use comcast as well and sofar in less than one month of service nothing but problems. A tech is coming out for the third time this morning, something about signal being outta range(dB level) or something.
Well thats funny I have a tech coming out for the third time today because am having the same signal problem you are with comcast
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Well thats funny I have a tech coming out for the third time today because am having the same signal problem you are with comcast

Its a bunch of horse shit!!!!!!!! Should of gone w/dsl.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
Its a bunch of horse shit!!!!!!!! Should of gone w/dsl.
Tell me about it I canceled my DSL to go with comcast. I'm switching back if they dont get it fixed this time out. Is your's the home networking wirless setup also? ANd what moden/router do you have?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Tell me about it I canceled my DSL to go with comcast. I'm switching back if they dont get it fixed this time out. Is your's the home networking wirless setup also? ANd what moden/router do you have?

RE:I'm not using wireless, but they changed my modem out for the Motorola SB5101..... then they thought it was the splitter, come on.

BUT, it gets better. The service call i was supposed to have today, keyword"supposed", was scheduled for someone in FUCKING CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF!!!!!!!!! I'm dealing with a company of fucking morons. Texas-California, i can't find the similarity. Mabee it's just me?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Recovering Lush

Troubleshooting 101: Remove variables.

In your case, start by seeing if you can hook up directly from the modem, to you x-box. Is this a dedicated line to your cable, or is it split with the TV? IF it's split with the TV, remove the TV from the equation as well. If it doesn't work plugged directly from your modem to your x-box, their's a problem with the signal itself.

Now, if it works directly to your box, but not to your tv AND your box, you're having some attenuation issues, via the splitter. Best solution is to have the modem and router on their own cable drop, with no splitter.

Also, how many IPs do you have? Does comcast know you have two boxes running thru this modem? With Charter, when I added the wireless router, I had to upgrade for a few bucks a month, so I could have more than 1 IP addy.

And you don't want to go to DSL......blech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclestang89
it just blinks real crazy, even when I unplug the router from it , the recv is blinking.

Right now, enet, sending,recv is all blinking. I really don't think it should be blinking that much all the time. I think it thats what been cauing my x-box live to have problems. That messes up every now and then. It goes to the troubleshooting screen and says it couldn't find the DNS. I am running 2 x-box at my house both with wireless to the same router. Anyone else have 2 x-box at there house on x-box live?

do you think its my modem? I never have any problems on the net.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
PVC Racing

well i'm runninng a wireless router. The X-boxs are wireless and the computer is ran with a cable.

when its in troubleshooting it always shows the cable it connected.

Aandwhat do you mean split withthe TV? The line the comes out of the wall goes directly to the modem. If thats what your asking. Oh and I'm using Charter.

Now I played x-box live last night and had no problems at all, but during the day yesterday it was giving me hell. And I was the only one playing and none was playing on the net either. So should I call Charter and get an extra IP address?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Recovering Lush

Ding ding ding!
Sounds like a winner. By default, you only have 1 IP addy. There may be an article about it on charter or xbox's site. I'll see if I can find it. Call Charter, hit 6 all the way thru the menu options (Except the spanish/english options and your #). Tell em u need tech support. Tell tech support you think you need another ip, because u went wireless, and will be connecting more than one unit....
Don't mention x-box, unless the guy's sharp, because you'll confuse him.

Quote:
well i'm runninng a wireless router. The X-boxs are wireless and the computer is ran with a cable.

when its in troubleshooting it always shows the cable it connected.

Aandwhat do you mean split withthe TV? The line the comes out of the wall goes directly to the modem. If thats what your asking. Oh and I'm using Charter.

Now I played x-box live last night and had no problems at all, but during the day yesterday it was giving me hell. And I was the only one playing and none was playing on the net either. So should I call Charter and get an extra IP address?

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Back when I had Comcast we had 2 Xboxes hooked up playing on XBL at the same time, had to tweak the settings under 'troubleshooting' to get it to work. I kept getting that DNS crap too. Got Charter now, no Xbox's, and only one 360. No problems yet:crosses fingers:

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
PVC Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
Ding ding ding!
Sounds like a winner. By default, you only have 1 IP addy. There may be an article about it on charter or xbox's site. I'll see if I can find it. Call Charter, hit 6 all the way thru the menu options (Except the spanish/english options and your #). Tell em u need tech support. Tell tech support you think you need another ip, because u went wireless, and will be connecting more than one unit....
Don't mention x-box, unless the guy's sharp, because you'll confuse him.

So do I need to get 2 more IP address since I have 2 x-boxs hooked up?

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Recovering Lush

As I recall, when you take the upgrade, they give you either 5 or 10 ip addy's, but it's been a while.

Quote:
So do I need to get 2 more IP address since I have 2 x-boxs hooked up?

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement