Ipod problem... Got me stumped - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Gunga galunga

Ipod problem... Got me stumped

Ok i have a 4th gen ipod that hasn't given me any problems till now.

The problem: It will not play and it will not dock in my computer. It shows up in the system tray, but it won't be recognized in my computer, itunes, or ipod updater. The ipod will go to disk mode when hooked up and the hard drive ect spins up but my computer won't load it. Infact it locks up startbar, updater, ect unless i unplug the ipod, even when it says do not disconnect.

it is fully charged, when i try to reset it, the apple logo pops up but then it just disappears or sometimes the error folder icon pops up and then goes away. If i could get it connected to the Ipod updater i would try to restore it. I've followed apples faq's and tech articles that seem to apply; tried the firewire and usb, reinstalled the ipod software and itunes ect. I've tried shuting down all the background software before mounting, spyware and antivirus software ect...

This is really frustrating me...

"Apres moi le deluge"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 06:40 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

It sounds like the hard drive might have crashed.

If that were the case, you would still be able to power it on and you would still be able to see the boot screen, which is loaded in its BIOS.

It could be something else, but I'm fairly sure its a busted hard drive.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Gunga galunga

well went in to the iPods built in diagnostics to run test and the HD is still good, infact i've been messing with it and got it to boot and play music , the interface seemed slow at first and then it started working like normal... Then it sarted acting up so i reset it and it would just keep reseting over and over going to the file icon error. lol

Right now it is working and playing music again. Still can't get it to work on my computer no matter what i try. I think it will be fine if i could just reformat it and start over

any ideas to get the iPod updater to work again?

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 08:51 PM
IA2

We had that happen to a shuffle and it had to be junked and replaced. Took it to the apple store and they tested it and then swapped it out. Nothing I tried would get it to work, even with the updater on several different computers.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:41 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Trade it in for a video, my gf got hers free when she traded in an old one that was doing the same thing.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:46 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Could be a problem with the PC. If you haven't tried the obvious then go for a reboot and try again. Also make sure all the USB stuff on your PC works fine.

There was a software update for them a few weeks ago but yeah if it won't interface you are out of luck. The hard drives are pretty resilient but they still break from time to time.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Gunga galunga

yeah, i had the newest update on it 01-10-06 i think... What was wierd was that it was giving me trouble getting the ipod to mount for the updater then too but after a few tries it worked and updated like normal... Now nothing oh well atleast it still plays most of the time i just can't put any more songs on it...

I contacted apple about service, I'm basically SOL since i bought it used of ebay a year ago... but they would "service" / replace it for $249 plus shipping

So it might be time for a new one...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:41 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Well that does suck.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 09:03 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Their next generation info leaked out recently, I'd hold out The entire face of it is a video screen with the click wheel being a touch screen that disappears when not in use.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0602videoipod.html

Apple's 30th anniversary is April 1st, I'd expect it to be out pretty close to then.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement