Browsing windows shares in linux... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Browsing windows shares in linux...

Is kinda quirky. Like say, I've got images on the local computer, I get thumbnails just fine, and all is well.

But, when browsing images over the network, I get just the basic icon, no thumbnails...

and if I double click or right-click > open with gimp (or other image editor/viewer), I get a message that the format isn't recognized...

but if I copy it over to the local drive, the thumbnail pops up, and it plays nice with the rest of the system.

Short of actually mounting the shares the old way, so they appear to be local directories, is there anything that can be done to fix the network browsing issue?

The other problem is, programs like XMMS, won't look at the network shares, even if they're connected (not mounted, but connected ... similar to windows "Map Network Drive"), so mp3's have been flat out... but I can double click on them and they will play in totem-xine without a problem... but if I right-click and tell it to open in XMMS, no dice. Same with Beep, Rythmbox, etc. The problem with totem-xine is it's a hog.

Basically, I just want the functionality that mounting the shares gave me... without having to mount them, and letting it work as if I was in windows browsing my network through My Network Places. If that's not possible, I guess I'll resort to making a mounting script... but it certainly would be nice to get it working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-nothumbs.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	59023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-localthumbs.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	59024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-error.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	59025  

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:32 PM

I've had the same problems... I believe the reason the pictures do not show up is because nautilus has to load them into memory or something for the thumbnail to display... so doing that across the network would not be a good idea. If you mount the directory though I bet it would work no problem.. but it is kind of quirky like that

I would make the mounting script
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:30 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I dig Real Life

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Damn Would it be possible to set up the mount commands in the gnome session manager, or better to just set it in fstab?

[edit]set it up in fstab, so "moutn /mountpoint" works. I wonder why browsing the network, when you right-click > connect to server, it doesn't automount, similar to how autofs mounts the usb sticks, cd's etc automatically.

Now, if someone would just make a winamp style library for xmms :-/ Though I've seen winamp 3, being that it was open source, and specifically avoided using win32 api calls and librarys whenever possible, to allow it to be ported easily... has been ported to linux... I may test it out. Although I hated winamp 3 with a passion.

DarkWolf

Last edited by DarkWolf; 01-27-2006 at 11:06 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
I dig Real Life
Haha, yeah it's good stuff. RL, PvP, and PA ... can't go long without catching back up on 'em.

DarkWolf
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Not going to bother with the linux port of winamp. Not looking too promising. Just wish the xmms / beep developers would get off their asses and make a native library

Guess it's time to install madman again. Actually, I don't even fully require a library... just some playlists that auto-generate content based on variables given... anything like that?

DarkWolf
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Oh my... I just discovered aliases. Oh this is going to be fun I just set up aliases to mount the network shares, so now I just type in say "music" and it'll mount the music share, "umusic" is set to unmount the share. Oh I like this.

I was going to create shell scripts, even did for mounting the music share since it's the one I'll be using most. But typing "./music" and "./umusic" was a bit annoying... the ./ just doesn't flow naturally when typing.

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement