System Hibernate? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09

Question System Hibernate?

I was looking at my power save options, and I noticed that the hibernate option takes ~1gb space to work. I use this option, since the stand by doesn't work properly. My PC feels compelled to start back up after a few minutes. I'm too impatient at times to wait on the system to completley boot up, so I use the hibernate.
Now, my question is, what happens to that space? Where do I find it? does it take the 1gb everytime, or does it overwrite the same space from the previous Hibernation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 02:34 AM
Long Live T.S.

You really do not want to even use this options. Reason for this is that your Hardrive will cool down and the second you bring it out of this mode it does not bother warming up like a regular boot it ..it will run full force..... like starting a car in dead of winter and takin off the second you start it up ....but to answer your question it over rides it

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWminis
You really do not want to even use this options. Reason for this is that your Hardrive will cool down and the second you bring it out of this mode it does not bother warming up like a regular boot it ..it will run full force..... like starting a car in dead of winter and takin off the second you start it up ....but to answer your question it over rides it

Ahh. Good deal.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 11:19 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, hibernate should really be renamed destroyer of hdd's. Basically what it does is takes the amount of ram that you have, and reserves the space on the hdd. When it goes into hibernate, it dumps all the contents of ram to the hdd, then shuts down the computer. When you come back to the computer, it wakes everything back up in the system, the hdd imediately starts spinning and copying that data back to memory to get you back to the state it was in before hibernation.

It's hell on hdd's, because it starts sending data to memory while the hdd is still spinning up. I've seen hibernate do everything from work perfectly fine, crash immediately upon reawakening because some of the data being sent back to the memory gets corrupted, since the hdd hasn't completed spinning up yet... up to all the data on the hdd being completely wiped. Even had a few hdd's that I suspect were prematurely dead because of hibernate. It's supposed to spin the hdd up completely, before sending data... but it doesn't, because then it would take just as long as rebooting... and apparently people can't wait that long.

I suggest, if Standby doesn't work, then just suck it up, and shut down your computer properly. I mean jesus christ, it only takes 30 - 45 seconds for a full boot... how fucking impatient can you be, where THAT'S too long? It takes at least half that to come back from hibernation, so you're not saving that much time, and putting a whole lot more unecessary strain on your hdd in the process.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Yeah, hibernate should really be renamed destroyer of hdd's. Basically what it does is takes the amount of ram that you have, and reserves the space on the hdd. When it goes into hibernate, it dumps all the contents of ram to the hdd, then shuts down the computer. When you come back to the computer, it wakes everything back up in the system, the hdd imediately starts spinning and copying that data back to memory to get you back to the state it was in before hibernation.

It's hell on hdd's, because it starts sending data to memory while the hdd is still spinning up. I've seen hibernate do everything from work perfectly fine, crash immediately upon reawakening because some of the data being sent back to the memory gets corrupted, since the hdd hasn't completed spinning up yet... up to all the data on the hdd being completely wiped. Even had a few hdd's that I suspect were prematurely dead because of hibernate. It's supposed to spin the hdd up completely, before sending data... but it doesn't, because then it would take just as long as rebooting... and apparently people can't wait that long.

I suggest, if Standby doesn't work, then just suck it up, and shut down your computer properly. I mean jesus christ, it only takes 30 - 45 seconds for a full boot... how fucking impatient can you be, where THAT'S too long? It takes at least half that to come back from hibernation, so you're not saving that much time, and putting a whole lot more unecessary strain on your hdd in the process.
Good write up. I'm definatley not going to use Hibernate now. Good thing I used it less than a handful number of times. I've used the standard shut down this long, won't hurt to keep using it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I have never used hibernate on a PC. I always thought it was a bad idea. On my laptop I used it all the time. Had it for 4 years, hibernate when I closed the lid, never had a single problem. Only took 20 sec or so to bring back up vs. a 1-2 min boot cycle.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 04:22 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezer
I have never used hibernate on a PC. I always thought it was a bad idea. On my laptop I used it all the time. Had it for 4 years, hibernate when I closed the lid, never had a single problem. Only took 20 sec or so to bring back up vs. a 1-2 min boot cycle.
Because 1 - 2 minutes once or twice a day is such a horrible thing Suspend would be better, but still not as good as actually shutting down when you're done.

Suspend and Hibernate were developed specifically for laptops... it's my understanding that laptop drives work mechanically the same as desktop hdd's, but I could be mistaken. Maybe they have a faster spin-up time, or a caching system that will hold data until the drive is ready to read/write. I've never done much research on the nuances.

DarkWolf
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

so on my laptop, i shouldnt just leave it on all the time? its not hibernating. I just close the lid and the screen turns off. Open the lid and the screen saver is up.

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 06:59 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

that's what I do with mine. And I shut it down whenever I'm going to have it off a/c power for a while.

DarkWolf
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

alright cool

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement