Upgrading to 802.11g ... what not to do - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Upgrading to 802.11g ... what not to do

Buy a router with the turbo or booster technology... you know... the ones that support 108Mbps wireless transfers. (ie: Dlink DI-624 AirPlus Xtreme G)

Buy a matching card. (ie: Dlink DWL-650G AirPlus Xtreme G)

Cost so far: $80 (router) + $65 (card) = $145

Get excited that you're going to have a wireless connection that's as fast or faster than you're hardwired connection.

Get home, hook everything up. Get that first 108Mbps transfer. Smile.

5 minutes later, wonder why the fuck the card isn't seeing the router anymore. Google for answers, find some suggestions. Try them. No go.

Turn off the turbo in the router setup... suddenly the card sees the router again. Google for more answers, find out this is a common problem with all the turbo/speedbooster technologies.

Fuck 108Mbps wireless if it's going to be THAT finiky. Take router and card back, get standard G router.

Final cost: $145 - ($80 + 65 (laptop has built in standard G card)) + $60 (standard G router) = $60

Be content with rock solid 54Mbps transfer and anxiously await 802.11n.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Taliban can SUCK IT!

lol that sucks dude, i dont even bother with that stuff right now i dont know enough about networking yet(studying for CCNA) and dont think they do either from some of the crap ive heard such as this.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 12:51 AM
11-05-09

I just got my shit connected to a wireless network today. It's slower than a wired connection, that's for sure. There's a network around here, (One of the neighbors?) that isn't secured with a key. It looks like you could get in and out of that one...But Fuck that. I'll stick to my 3 bar (out of 5) connection.

Is there an easy way to get a better antenna signal? The router is on the other side of the house, and all I've got is Foil.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 12:35 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

foil, lol

buy a directional antenna, I have 3 wireless ports and one wired all off a Linksys G router, the farthest is outside in another building about 100 feet away.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Jesus where the hell did you buy that from?

@ Frys

Airlink+ 108Mbps Wireless-G Cable/DSL Broadband Router $24.99
Airlink+ 108Mbps Wireless 108-G PCI Card $17.99

http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Best Buy :-/

But it's all back now. The 108Mbps shit is too finiky to be worth it, regardless of the brand. The way it works is by utilizing channels above and below the ssid channel, essentially making multiple connections to the router, sort of tricking it into thinking more than one card is accessing and pulling ~54Mbps each. Technically it should work fine in a pretty clear environment, but if you get in an area with multiple wi-fi spots, they all share the same channels, and you'll get a lot of interferance and it could go below B speeds. I read about one guy getting dial-up speeds when he'd force turbo mode, due to the interferance.

Not to mention the "turbo" settings draw more power (due to more concurrent connections), and if you force it to stay in turbo mode, it has a much higher chance of overloading the router, forcing a reboot. The card never saw the router again when that happened, until I set it back to dynamic turbo (which claims that it will ramp up the speed as needed, but usually runs at 54Mbps. I copied a 700MB file over, and it ramped up the speed to around 96Mbps for about 10 seconds of the 6 minute transfer, so the "compatability mode" as it's referred, pretty much means it will just transfer at 54Mbps almost exclusively).

So I just picked up the standard G router, with a rebate, for $30. Not too terrible. I'll just wait for 802.11n and get a true 100Mbps wireless without having to fuck with any "turbo" settings.

DarkWolf
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 02:08 AM
Lifer

Talking

Get on the internet and type in "wi-fi antenna". If you drink coffee, know how to solder even remotely well...you can end up with an antenna for your wireless card that looks retarded...and works rediculously well...I read about it only
Trust me when I say "based on what I read" these things will connect you to any neighbors unsecured wi-fi signal within about a block of your house.

FUCK Canada
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 02:15 AM
Lifer

Oh and while we are on the topic of the variuos wi-fi choices....I have found:

Pre-N...newest...by far the best range...at least 3 times the range of wireless G.
Wireless G...common now...not any better range than wireless B(based on my experience)..but more throughput (54-108 mbps) compared to 11mbps of B.

Wireless B.....by FAR the most common wi-fi signal you will find..about 300-500ft range in open spaces....maybe more...less indoors. Most are 11 mbps throughput with a decent signal.

FUCK Canada
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

The 108mbps G is worthless, don't bother paying extra for the routers and cards that advertise 108mbps. Stick with the standard 54mbps.

And yeah, I read about Cantenna's a while back. Thought about making one to share internet with some neighbors about 200 yards away, but never actually got around to it.

Pre-N is great if you want to spend the money now, and hope that it becomes the actual 802.11n standard (it's called Pre-N because it's a guess at what the actual standard will eventually be). Personally, I'll wait for the actual 802.11n standard, so I don't have to worry about my Pre-N shit not being compatible down the road.

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement