Buying new computer for video editing, questions? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Question Buying new computer for video editing, questions?

Does anyone know what would be the least processor speed, ram, hard drive, whatever else is needed or one would need to start doing some video editing from a camcorder? Do you think the deals they have going on at Dell for a Celeron or Pentium 4 processors would do ok? I think for $550 shipped with flat screen is what they cost right now. If you have any info that may help me on my decision on what to buy for this, let me know. Thanks

99 WS6
1987 GN WRECKED

OWN IT CHROME IT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 11:21 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

I would get the price break P4 chip, and as much ram as you can afford, I wouldnt worry about hard drive speed, just get a large one thats got a decent seek time ( 9ms ) and 8mb cache ( or more ). Why intel? Their bus speeds are faster, great for video editing.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 11:53 PM
Gunga galunga

I would say a p4 as well, probally 2gig+ of ram, and 250gigs + hard drive space. Best bet would be to have a seperate hard drvie or drives setup in a raid just for the video files, and leave another for the OS and apps...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Time Served

Video Editing.

I have only one thing to say, get a Mac. If you are doing anything creative such as audio recording, video creation/editing it is the only way to go.
Checkout the website, Imac's are practical even the Emac....heck in my opinion the Mac Mini would even be an option and that is only $499 or so....and its the size of 5 Cd's stacked on top of each other....so cool.

Apple.com
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 12:17 AM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT93Style
I have only one thing to say, get a Mac. If you are doing anything creative such as audio recording, video creation/editing it is the only way to go.
Checkout the website, Imac's are practical even the Emac....heck in my opinion the Mac Mini would even be an option and that is only $499 or so....and its the size of 5 Cd's stacked on top of each other....so cool.

Apple.com
yeah, I agree the macs make a nice machine for editing and what not, but your going to have to spend more than that though

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Time Served

k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
yeah, I agree the macs make a nice machine for editing and what not, but your going to have to spend more than that though

You'd be suprised, that Mac mini is a little work horse. You must remember when comparing things like processing speed between Mac's and PC's it is like apple and oranges. The higher end mac mini runs a G4 at 1.42 ghz...that will blow away anything PC in the 2ghz range. The OS is just so much better, but don't take my word for it go to CompUsa or the Apple Store and play around.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 03:52 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
I would say a p4 as well, probally 2gig+ of ram, and 250gigs + hard drive space. Best bet would be to have a seperate hard drvie or drives setup in a raid just for the video files, and leave another for the OS and apps...
I agree totally!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:35 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Mac mini would not, I repeat, NOT be what you would want to get at all. It would be a great desktop box, but not a video editing platform. The OS doesnt make the system run any faster, just smoother. PPC cpu's are crap, and the motorola's are junk. Thats why they are finally going x86.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:25 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Mac mini would not, I repeat, NOT be what you would want to get at all. It would be a great desktop box, but not a video editing platform. The OS doesnt make the system run any faster, just smoother. PPC cpu's are crap, and the motorola's are junk. Thats why they are finally going x86.
Exactly.

A Dual G5 cube would be what you'd want for video editing, if you went the Mac route.

Then again, if all you're doing is home video type stuff, you could certainly get away with a much lower-end box, Mac or PC. But if you're looking to do this somewhat professionally, you don't want to skimp on the hardware.

If you're going to try this professionally, I'd also suggest straying away from IDE/SATA drives, and stick with SCSI, 10k - 15krpm drives. The video card itself isn't all that important, but you want a good video capture card... NOT a TV Tuner card. Something along the lines of an Osprey, or Canopus. You might also look into a minimum of Adobe Premier, but preferably Avid, or a viable alternative to Avid (though not any cheaper), Discreet's line of real-time non-linear editing programs.

Keep in mind... $500 might get you a cheap, probably out of date/obsolete video capture card. They normally run in the $1000 - $3000 range. Not counting the software (which tends to cost even more). If you're only wanting to spend $500ish, in total, I wouldn't plan on trying to do any of this professionally. Not saying it can't be done... hell a PII 350 can be a video editing station... if you don't mind everything you do taking forever. Just saying if you want to do it professionally... you'd be wise to do it right.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Not the answers I am exactly looking for but thanks. Now should I go with AMD or Intel Pentium?

99 WS6
1987 GN WRECKED

OWN IT CHROME IT
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Exactly.

A Dual G5 cube would be what you'd want for video editing, if you went the Mac route.

Then again, if all you're doing is home video type stuff, you could certainly get away with a much lower-end box, Mac or PC. But if you're looking to do this somewhat professionally, you don't want to skimp on the hardware.

If you're going to try this professionally, I'd also suggest straying away from IDE/SATA drives, and stick with SCSI, 10k - 15krpm drives. The video card itself isn't all that important, but you want a good video capture card... NOT a TV Tuner card. Something along the lines of an Osprey, or Canopus. You might also look into a minimum of Adobe Premier, but preferably Avid, or a viable alternative to Avid (though not any cheaper), Discreet's line of real-time non-linear editing programs.

Keep in mind... $500 might get you a cheap, probably out of date/obsolete video capture card. They normally run in the $1000 - $3000 range. Not counting the software (which tends to cost even more). If you're only wanting to spend $500ish, in total, I wouldn't plan on trying to do any of this professionally. Not saying it can't be done... hell a PII 350 can be a video editing station... if you don't mind everything you do taking forever. Just saying if you want to do it professionally... you'd be wise to do it right.
well said, but i'm assuming he's looking at doing fire wire or USB2.0 tranfers...

I would lean towards the p4...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 10:15 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd Nova
Not the answers I am exactly looking for but thanks. Now should I go with AMD or Intel Pentium?
To condense what I previously said in answer to your question:

Home video's = Pretty much any current system will work fine.

Somewhat professional/professional editing = Don't skimp on the hardware. Expect to spend $5000+ for a system.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement