XBOX fried??? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Where is Ms. Right?

XBOX fried???

Hey we had these storms come through Irving last week and I think we got this huge surge that fried my XBOX and my sisters computer. Its weird cuz we had surge protectors on them. Maybe the house isnt grounded correctly. I dont know if that would matter.

Anyway, my XBOX wont turn on anymore. You think it's my power supply? or the motherboard. I'm kind of mad because I have spent a ton of money on this xbox with the Xecuter 3 chip and stuff.

Does anyone know if this thing can be salvaged??

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

I know that surges only last a few surges or something. If the light is blinkin funny or whatever, it prob doesn't work.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 10:49 AM

a lot of "surge protectors" are really just jack replicatiors, they don't offer a any or much protection against a lightning strike, you have to spend some money to get one that will actually guarantee you against a surge as powerful as a lightning strike

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 11:34 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Try a different power cable, a PS2 power cable will work if you have one.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:32 PM

You won't have to wait long for the Xbox 360 if you are looking for a replacement.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 04:31 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmon
You won't have to wait long for the Xbox 360 if you are looking for a replacement.
Just hope you've got $500 to spend on that replacement.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 11:44 AM

dang! I guess that's why I took the time to reasearch my surge protector, it costs enough as it is!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Where is Ms. Right?

ATX power supply

hey is it possible to use a regular ATX power supply for a computer on an xbox? The pin connectors are the same but I'm scared to fry my xbox if it isnt already fried. I've been reading online and supposedly the power supply goes bad once in a while. I wonder if a new power supply might fix mine.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Time Served

there was a recall on xbox power cords recently

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 01:37 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmon
when is it due?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memo
hey is it possible to use a regular ATX power supply for a computer on an xbox? The pin connectors are the same but I'm scared to fry my xbox if it isnt already fried. I've been reading online and supposedly the power supply goes bad once in a while. I wonder if a new power supply might fix mine.
more than likely its fried the power source and mobo...
<--- same thing happend to my friends, both went out.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95
when is it due?
Thanksgiving
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 02:48 PM
Boost is Good

Quote:
its projected at $299 w/o HD
PS3 is projected for over $400
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 12:33 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Getting it without the hdd is kind of pointless due to the extra features it's going to have, that require a hdd. The last price I'd heard was $399 with, and $249 w/o hdd. And last price I heard on PS3 was $499.

Either way, I believe I'll be sticking with my Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox for a while. Neither the 360, nor the PS3 has shown me anything that I'd consider a "must have" app yet. I'll probably get the Revolution when it comes out though.

DarkWolf
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Getting it without the hdd is kind of pointless due to the extra features it's going to have, that require a hdd. The last price I'd heard was $399 with, and $249 w/o hdd. And last price I heard on PS3 was $499.

Either way, I believe I'll be sticking with my Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox for a while. Neither the 360, nor the PS3 has shown me anything that I'd consider a "must have" app yet. I'll probably get the Revolution when it comes out though.
I think I read somewhere that the HDless one, you would be able to buy a hard drive later?? that was the point for the HD being removable right?
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:27 AM

Quote:
the rumored FF7 is the only thing that will get me to buy a PS3, it was rumored then denied by square.. and then it was rumored again by 'some source' that works for square.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:42 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, if they actually do remake FF7 with the graphics shown in the tech demo... I'll be about $450-$550 poorer when it hits the shelves. But giddy like a schoolgirl non-the-less.

Undoubtedly, I'll eventually have to get a PS3 for future FF games, and GT games. Unless Squenix decides to start publishing future FF games for all 3 systems. It looks like they might be leaning in that direction, with FFXI coming out for Xbox 360, leaving only Revolution without FFXI (likely due to lack of a hard drive), and Nintendo having already signed Squenix on as a 3rd party developer for Revolution.

It'll never happen, but my god I'd love to see FF6 remade with the current FF graphics. FF6 is still my favorite of the series, with 7 a close second.

DarkWolf
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:43 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
I think I read somewhere that the HDless one, you would be able to buy a hard drive later?? that was the point for the HD being removable right?
Yeah, but I think that might be more expensive than just getting the hdd when you initially buy the system. Usually works out that way, at least.

DarkWolf
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah, if they actually do remake FF7 with the graphics shown in the tech demo... I'll be about $450-$550 poorer when it hits the shelves. But giddy like a schoolgirl non-the-less.

Undoubtedly, I'll eventually have to get a PS3 for future FF games, and GT games. Unless Squenix decides to start publishing future FF games for all 3 systems. It looks like they might be leaning in that direction, with FFXI coming out for Xbox 360, leaving only Revolution without FFXI (likely due to lack of a hard drive), and Nintendo having already signed Squenix on as a 3rd party developer for Revolution.

It'll never happen, but my god I'd love to see FF6 remade with the current FF graphics. FF6 is still my favorite of the series, with 7 a close second.
All the FF nerdds (no offense) tell me FF6 is much better then 7. I bought it for PS1 after I was told that.. but I have still yet to sit down and play past the initial cut-scene. I think I will back it up and throw it on the xbox this weekend (if I can figure out how to do that on linux) and get started playing it. I need a new RPG to play.. I ahve been bored lately.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but I think that might be more expensive than just getting the hdd when you initially buy the system. Usually works out that way, at least.
I think it would help push more systems out the door, Hey I can get the HDD less one for 250 and just buy a hard drive in the next 2-3 months!. I could be wrong.. but I thought I read the hdd-less sytem could add a hdd later.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 08:38 AM
Time Served

From what I heard, they are selling all of them without the hard drive. You cannot buy a 360 with the hard drive in the box. The hard drive is purchased separately. Buying the hard drive will provide backwards compatibility. The hard drive will be around $100.

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 10:48 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
All the FF nerdds (no offense) tell me FF6 is much better then 7. I bought it for PS1 after I was told that.. but I have still yet to sit down and play past the initial cut-scene. I think I will back it up and throw it on the xbox this weekend (if I can figure out how to do that on linux) and get started playing it. I need a new RPG to play.. I ahve been bored lately.
Hehe None taken. Yeah, if you haven't played it, and started with 7, it can be hard to go back to the old school FF's to check 'em out. I started with the original FF back in 1990

<-- Big time FF nerd.

The psx re-release of 6 is cool, but load times are kind of long. If you have an SNES emulator on your xbox, I'd just find the rom and play that. But the psx re-release does has a few cool cut scenes. I know the intro, and credits have fmv's, and there's a 3rd fmv but not sure where it goes in the game. I never got very far in the psx re-release. I prefer to either hook up my SNES, or use an emulator.

Just remember if you do ever get to playing it, about halfway through, you'll be running around on a floating island. Eventually there will be a countdown as you have to get off before the island blows up. Whatever you do, wait for Shadow to arrive. Shadow is one of your best characters end game, and if you don't wait for him to arrive, he dies and you miss out on his awesomeness.

Quote:
I think it would help push more systems out the door, Hey I can get the HDD less one for 250 and just buy a hard drive in the next 2-3 months!. I could be wrong.. but I thought I read the hdd-less sytem could add a hdd later.
Yeah, the hdd-less one can have the drive added later. I just think that'd end up being more expensive than just buying it with the hdd initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larius
From what I heard, they are selling all of them without the hard drive. You cannot buy a 360 with the hard drive in the box. The hard drive is purchased separately. Buying the hard drive will provide backwards compatibility. The hard drive will be around $100.
Jesus, the hdd better not be $100 for a 20 gig. Sony's 40 gig for ps2 was only $50 (or $100 with FFXI).

I've got a feeling the 360 will be released close to $400 or more, and then a price drop right before the PS3 and Revolution release, to put it more in line with $300ish. MS aren't dumb... they know people will pay whatever, to be the first ones to have this system. They could easily get away with charging a lot more initially, when there's no competition, and cut the price when the competition comes to market, either forcing the competition to also cut their price immediately, or try and sell for a lot more.

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement