a few questions for all the computer guys: - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

a few questions for all the computer guys:

1: how hard is it to convert to linux from xp?( heard linux is better with/for/makes the most of your ram for some reason? like it doesnt have to be running all these processes all the time?)

2.girlfreinds computer (hp with xp) when you first start it up it always says "the specified module cannot be found." then a bunch of numbers. what it mean?

3. where is the cheapest place to buy some ram? ( need 2 sticks of pc 133 sdram 256 mb) everytime i bid on a cheap one on ebay it skyrockets shortly after.there must be some kinda discount online place or somthin like that where i can get it for like 10 bucks a stick, right?(only have 128 mb now)

4. to install ram, do i need only pug the new sticks in? or is there more to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 03:56 PM
[]D[][]\/[][]D

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95
1: how hard is it to convert to linux from xp?( heard linux is better with/for/makes the most of your ram for some reason? like it doesnt have to be running all these processes all the time?)

2.girlfreinds computer (hp with xp) when you first start it up it always says "the specified module cannot be found." then a bunch of numbers. what it mean?

3. where is the cheapest place to buy some ram? ( need 2 sticks of pc 133 sdram 256 mb) everytime i bid on a cheap one on ebay it skyrockets shortly after.there must be some kinda discount online place or somthin like that where i can get it for like 10 bucks a stick, right?(only have 128 mb now)

4. to install ram, do i need only pug the new sticks in? or is there more to it?
Dont bother with linux, it wont be worth your time.
-Nick
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 04:14 PM
El Camino

I agree I'd save linux for when your pretty savy with pc hardware and your current os.

You can always try downloading a live cd distro if you just want to see the look/feel.

PC100-133 ram is harder to get now since everything made now is ddr or ddr2. Memory has always been like that. The best priced ram is always the current stuff while the older stuff tends to run higher.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 04:31 AM

I think I have a couple of gig worth of PC133 Ram laying around.. I will see what I have, and let you know.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 10:52 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement