Anyone using Multimedia PC's only for TV? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Anyone using Multimedia PC's only for TV?

I thinking of upgrading to just Multimedia PC's and do away with TV's completely. First what setups do you currently use? I'm looking of going with something like this: http://store.snapstreamstore.com/sssolution.html

It will be used in conjunction with DirecTV service. Anyone have experience? Positivies, negatives, advice? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:31 PM
\(_o)/

Yeah, but I didnt waste money on a media pc. I run XBMC on my xbox, and just download tv shows that I want to watch. I havent watched cable in months.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

I'm not buying a "media pc" just adding a tuner card and remote to existing systems.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:57 PM
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
I'm not buying a "media pc" just adding a tuner card and remote to existing systems.
Well, to me, it was cheaper to get a xbox, chip, and a wireless controller. Much eaiser then putting a full fledged box near my tv, less noise and bulk.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Well, to me, it was cheaper to get a xbox, chip, and a wireless controller. Much eaiser then putting a full fledged box near my tv, less noise and bulk.
I want to be able to use the PC as a PVR to record shows as well as a MP3 repository and browse the internet, could you do all that from your Xbox? Never considered that as an alternative.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:11 PM
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
I want to be able to use the PC as a PVR to record shows as well as a MP3 repository and browse the internet, could you do all that from your Xbox? Never considered that as an alternative.
My theory, its much easier to just download HDTV rips then encode them yourself because of the time and cpu power it takes. I'm a part of a scifi guild, we just share the hdtv rips which isnt illegal I dont think. It can play mp3's, I 'could' browse the web, but what for, I have a computer for that.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
My theory, its much easier to just download HDTV rips then encode them yourself because of the time and cpu power it takes. I'm a part of a scifi guild, we just share the hdtv rips which isnt illegal I dont think. It can play mp3's, I 'could' browse the web, but what for, I have a computer for that.
I know what you mean that's what i've been doing until now, but some of the shows I want (or my wife) aren't readily available, and I think it would be a fun project. I'm going to have to invest in some large hard drives for sure, and upgrade the sound card...

Check this guys setup out:

http://www.snapstream.com/community/...omShowcase.asp

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 10:11 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Whatever you do, stay away from BeyondTV. Shittiest pvr program I've ever used. ATI and Hauppage offerings are considerably better.

I'm interested in checking out Media Portal, but can't seem to get it working with my AIW 7500, even though that card is listed as fully supported. I think it has something to do with the 7500 not being a hardware encoder. I'd try it on my main pc and AIW 9600xt, but don't feel like installing .NET on it.

But if you're not going to be hooking this up to a TV, and don't really have a need for the large/high contrast/readable text, the default ATI or Hauppage programs would work just fine.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

Last edited by DarkWolf; 06-16-2005 at 10:19 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Whatever you do, stay away from BeyondTV. Shittiest pvr program I've ever used. ATI and Hauppage offerings are considerably better.

I'm interested in checking out Media Portal, but can't seem to get it working with my AIW 7500, even though that card is listed as fully supported. I think it has something to do with the 7500 not being a hardware encoder. I'd try it on my main pc and AIW 9600xt, but don't feel like installing .NET on it.

But if you're not going to be hooking this up to a TV, and don't really have a need for the large/high contrast/readable text, the default ATI or Hauppage programs would work just fine.
Thanks for the info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement