Has Anyone Successfully Converted... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Has Anyone Successfully Converted...

an exe to an msi file? I'm creating a Group Policy that installs MSN Messenger v7 when a user logs in. My only problem is that the setup file is an exe and GPO Editor wants an msi file.

I've been doing some research and it seems possible with a packaging program such as WISE or InstallShield. I download "fully functional" trial versions of both, and followed the steps I had but I need to buy the program. Honestly, I'd rather go to each workstation (~ 30) and install it manually rather than buying the software.

Has anyone succesfully done this? If so, how? If not, any suggestions?

Last edited by xtremcoder; 06-12-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 08:00 PM
El Camino

I support/maintain sms 2003 and packaging at work. I used installshield admin studio fine. There is a freebie program called wininstall LE that will take a snapshot of the system, then you run your install, it takes another snapshot and will build an msi.

I used it for some simple stuff before we got install shield and it worked ok for some stuff.

I've also used GPO to push out installs and it works nice when you have msi's available. Good luck and PM me if you need more info. Once you get it working you wont go back. We have 650+ pc's so walking around to each isn't really an option. If you arent already using SUS or now WSUS I'd take a look at those too for patching options.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 01:28 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Second vote for WinInstall LE.

Should work just fine for Windows Installer 2.0. However I have yet to test it against Windows Installer 3.0

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremcoder
and exe to an msi file? I'm creating a Group Policy that installs MSN Messenger v7 when a user logs in. My only problem is that the setup file is an exe and GPO Editor wants an msi file.

I've been doing some research and it seems possible with a packaging program such as WISE or InstallShield. I download "fully functional" trial versions of both, and followed the steps I had but I need to buy the program. Honestly, I'd rather go to each workstation (~ 30) and install it manually rather than buying the software.

Has anyone succesfully done this? If so, how? If not, any suggestions?
windows 2000 server came with wininstall in the extra folder. It has no options so a program either works when you create an msi or it doesnt.

I used for a lot of apps at one place I used to work and never had a problem with any of them... only thing is it is best to have a fresh install of windows each time you package a program with it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
I support/maintain sms 2003 and packaging at work. I used installshield admin studio fine. There is a freebie program called wininstall LE that will take a snapshot of the system, then you run your install, it takes another snapshot and will build an msi.

I used it for some simple stuff before we got install shield and it worked ok for some stuff.

I've also used GPO to push out installs and it works nice when you have msi's available. Good luck and PM me if you need more info. Once you get it working you wont go back. We have 650+ pc's so walking around to each isn't really an option. If you arent already using SUS or now WSUS I'd take a look at those too for patching options.

I misread this post.. what this guy said
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
windows 2000 server came with wininstall in the extra folder.

Edit: It's in the VALUEADD\3RDPARTY\MGMT\WINSTLE directory, if anyone else needs to find it.

Last edited by xtremcoder; 06-13-2005 at 10:55 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremcoder

This is a "backup" that I had at home, I'll check my originals at work tomorow though.

LOL. Nice CDkey.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
LOL. Nice CDkey.
whatchu talkin' 'bout willis?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I tried running Wininstall LE that I got on the 2000 cd. I ran the "before" snapshot", installed MSN Messenger 7.0, then ran the "after" snapshot. I got the following error message:

Severity:1
Error: source files must begin with @SourceDir: DesktopFolder\Documents and Settings\jq\Application Data\Microsoft\Protect\CREDHIST.
---------------------------------------------------------
Status of conversion:
Unsuccessful.
You may wish to examine the messages above.
================================================== =========

So now I'm going to try the trial version I got from their website.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 12:52 PM
El Camino

I was going to try it with install shield but before I got into it I downloaded the standalone installer INSTALL_MSN_MESSENGER_DL.EXE from the ms site.

If you go to a cmd prompt and run this exe with a /c flag it will ask you where to extract the files. Inside that exe is MsnMsgs.msi which should be what you need to push out.

I'm hoping its that simple for ya.

Let me know if that doesnt work.

Quote:
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Still havent gotten it to work. The .msi file should work though, I think the problem is my GP.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 08:32 AM
El Camino

Make sure your gp is set to run with elevated privledges since I hope your end users do not have admin rights.

Quote:
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

I restarted a computer, and logged in with a user in the OLF User group, and nothing happened. :-(

http://img202.echo.cx/my.php?image=gpsettings4mv.jpg

http://img202.echo.cx/my.php?image=gpsecurity6vy.jpg
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 11:50 AM
El Camino

You definied in computer config so the machine account will need to be in that OU.

You should be able to define it as a user config instead and then it will apply to users in that OU.

You can define installs both ways.

Quote:
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 10:52 PM

if you assign it to the OU the computers are in, it will install at the next boot. That's boot, not logon, and if it's XP, you may have to boot twice depending on if it's doing it's "fast logon optimization" thing or not.

If you publish it for the users, they will probably need to be admins. If you enable USERENV logging, you can see where it fucked up. You can query microsoft's web page for VOICEWARMUP for detail on MSI installation debugging.

logging is your friend.

Biggest thing to get out of the way is if you double click the msi as an admin on a machine without messenger, does it install correctly? If so the rest of it is usually GPO related.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement