I Think Someone Got Carried Away - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

I Think Someone Got Carried Away

With the heiarchichal (is that even a word?) naming structure.

THe office has about 28 workstations, all have one local printer, and a few network printers throughout. Then obviously we have the servers. The domain name is three levels! xxx.yyy.local WTF?!?!? I think this is waaaaaaay overkill! It should just be companyname.local if not .com. I named my domain at home a .com just to be cool.

Do you agree? I'm going to do some research on how to "dumb" this down a little, its rediculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremcoder
With the heiarchichal (is that even a word?) naming structure.

THe office has about 28 workstations, all have one local printer, and a few network printers throughout. Then obviously we have the servers. The domain name is three levels! xxx.yyy.local WTF?!?!? I think this is waaaaaaay overkill! It should just be companyname.local if not .com. I named my domain at home a .com just to be cool.

Do you agree? I'm going to do some research on how to "dumb" this down a little, its rediculous.

Sounds like it was upgraded from a NT4 domain. In which the nt4 domain was not created correctly. But, I've learned to just roll my eyes at things I think are dumb in the workplace... because if you question it too much you will piss someone off, and depending on who that someone is, well you get the point.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
Sounds like it was upgraded from a NT4 domain. In which the nt4 domain was not created correctly. But, I've learned to just roll my eyes at things I think are dumb in the workplace... because if you question it too much you will piss someone off, and depending on who that someone is, well you get the point.
It's just me and another guy in the IT department. He asked me to "clean" things up a little bit. He asked me about this today, and I honestly didnt have, what I felt was, a good answer. I made some bullshit up about a forrest and trees and blah blah blah. So I came home and opened up one of my books. I understand the concept alot better now. For example, if we were a global company. We're not though. I'm going to keep reading and see how I can fix this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremcoder
It's just me and another guy in the IT department. He asked me to "clean" things up a little bit. He asked me about this today, and I honestly didnt have, what I felt was, a good answer. I made some bullshit up about a forrest and trees and blah blah blah. So I came home and opened up one of my books. I understand the concept alot better now. For example, if we were a global company. We're not though. I'm going to keep reading and see how I can fix this.

The only way you can fix it is too bring up another forest and migrate to that forrest. Or being that its a small company.. uninstall AD and reinstall with the options you want.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 07:18 PM
\(_o)/

Never think small. In a windows world, its best to think large incase you ever get to be that way. You should always plan ahead because to upgreade later to a different naming scheme will be a bitch. DC are stupid anyway ;p

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 02:41 PM
El Camino

I'd have to agree. One of the common best practices is to have an empty top level domain then build your forest underneath it. I'm looking at options to do that here with 100+ servers, 650 employees, and lots of accounts, etc.

2003 does have a domain rename tool but none of the ms engineers I've talked to have actually used it.

I'd agree on building it to be able to grow cause ya just never know.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement