ATI Sapphire 9600 XT video card - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

Thumbs down ATI Sapphire 9600 XT video card

Sucks. I watch major league baseball games on my computer through mlb.tv.com. My last setup featured an outdated 3-D Elsa Victory with 16megs of ram. It handled the streaming video flawlessly for the most part. At times their was some lag, but I blame this on a combination of RAM (only had 256) and processor. Regardless, the picture was clear, very clear and it got the job done. Well, now i've got 1 gig of ram, P4 and this shitty ass over-rated video card. I have adjusted everything I can think of from 3D acceleration to AGP speed. I even re-installed the driver. The result, blurry video as soon as I go to "full screen" mode. Regresh rates have been played with from desktop to ATI control console settings. A google search has not offered a solution as there looks to be a history of problems with this card. Now i'm off to strangle the individual who recommended this card. Feel free to post any troubleshooting ideas. Hopefully I won't throw the pc out the window between now and Monday.

CPU Type Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
CPU Speed 2998 MHz

IRQ Table Not Available

BIOS Version Not Available
BIOS Date 02/17/05

RDTSC/MMX/SSE/3DNOW/SSE2 Not Available

North Bridge Chipset Vendor ID 8086
North Bridge Chipset Device ID 2570
North Bridge Chipset Revision Not Available
North Bridge Chipset Drivers Version Not Available
North Bridge Chipset Drivers Date Not Available

South Bridge Chipset Vendor ID 8086
South Bridge Chipset Device ID 2571
South Bridge Chipset Revision Not Available
South Bridge Chipset Drivers Version Not Available
South Bridge Chipset Drivers Date Not Available

Presence of Dual CPU Yes
System RAM Amount 1023 MB

Driver Packaging Version 8.081-041124a1-019717C-ATI
CATALYST™ Version 0
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 6.14.10.6497
2D Driver File Path System\ControlSet001\Services\ati2mtag\Device0
Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0277
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.4774
CATALYST™ Control Center Version 1.0.1790.814

Last edited by Hollywood; 05-29-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 02:19 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I'd say the problem is not the video card, but the streaming video. Hell, even the FAQ on their site says a full 9+ inning game (3+ hours of video) if downloaded, would take up about 550 megs... that's some HEAVY compression. No video with that high compression will be clear... it will be blurry, and MUCH more so if you full screen it.

I'd be willing to bet it looks the same, or very similar, as it did with your old video card. And because there wasn't a marked improvement to the video quality by upgrading, you're dissapointed, and have convinced yourself that the old setup was clear (which would be near impossible for full screen streaming video with anything less than 1mb compression (mlb.tv uses 350kb compression, most streaming video is done at 56kb - 350kb)).

And lag on streaming video has very little to do with ram and processor speed, and a lot to do with connection speed.

mlb.com faq

I can't make a comment on the Sapphire brand cards as I've never used them, but I know the "Built By ATI" 9600xt's that I've used have been excellent cards. Built By ATI means ATI has actually manufactured the entire card. Sapphire, and many others are "Powered By ATI", meaning ATI just supplies the gpu chip, and the 3rd party company puts on whatever components they want. Sometimes you get excellent results with powered by ati products, and get them at a much better price than you can get a built by ati equivalent. Sometimes you don't.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
I'd say the problem is not the video card, but the streaming video. Hell, even the FAQ on their site says a full 9+ inning game (3+ hours of video) if downloaded, would take up about 550 megs... that's some HEAVY compression. No video with that high compression will be clear... it will be blurry, and MUCH more so if you full screen it.

I'd be willing to bet it looks the same, or very similar, as it did with your old video card. And because there wasn't a marked improvement to the video quality by upgrading, you're dissapointed, and have convinced yourself that the old setup was clear (which would be near impossible for full screen streaming video with anything less than 1mb compression (mlb.tv uses 350kb compression, most streaming video is done at 56kb - 350kb)).

And lag on streaming video has very little to do with ram and processor speed, and a lot to do with connection speed.

mlb.com faq

I can't make a comment on the Sapphire brand cards as I've never used them, but I know the "Built By ATI" 9600xt's that I've used have been excellent cards. Built By ATI means ATI has actually manufactured the entire card. Sapphire, and many others are "Powered By ATI", meaning ATI just supplies the gpu chip, and the 3rd party company puts on whatever components they want. Sometimes you get excellent results with powered by ati products, and get them at a much better price than you can get a built by ati equivalent. Sometimes you don't.
Not true. I can't even watch it now it's so blurry. Before I watched plenty of games and it was fine. At times, you can't even make out text at the bottom of the screen. As soon as their movement, it's blocked and blurry. I've tested my download speed and it's still consistently at the 1.4mbs mark. Another thing, I can play a music video on my PC that I downloaded that is not streaming, and I get the same problem.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 02:31 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

May be a bad overlay then. What drivers are you using?

DarkWolf
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:09 AM
Which one's the clutch?

update your drivers maybe? Never had any problems with my ATI card.

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 05:20 PM
老师

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie
update your drivers maybe? Never had any problems with my ATI card.
i agree with the craizie one. drivers are out of date. or you might have the wrong ones, or the ones for your old video card. that could definitely cause a problem.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Texas Rangers #1

My little brother has the exact same video card 9600 XT w/ 128MB of RAM and has absolutely no problems watching MLB.TV, and he watches every day (Rangers fan who lives in Miami). Try new drivers also update to Windows Media Player 10 if you haven't done so yet.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 07:44 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Streaming video has nothing to do with your video card and everything to do with your bandwidth and cpu for decompression of the stream. Perhaps your new windows box was on the internet to long and already got worm'd.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

I updated the driver before I left and that helped a little. I've gotten all the windows updates. Again, doesn't have to be streaming video, regular videos are just as blurry. I left it off all week while in Cancun and just gave it a try-same result. I'm baffled. Contacted ATI, they are working on it. Thanks for the input.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 05:11 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
I updated the driver before I left and that helped a little. I've gotten all the windows updates. Again, doesn't have to be streaming video, regular videos are just as blurry. I left it off all week while in Cancun and just gave it a try-same result. I'm baffled. Contacted ATI, they are working on it. Thanks for the input.

It might just be a bunk card.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Time Served

Out of curiosity when you upgraded the card did you use any program like Driver Cleaner Pro and Regseeker to cleanup the old drivers before installing the new ATI drivers. Here is a helpful guide below. Sorry it is so long. Came from www.guru3d.com. Good Luck.

Proper driver uninstallation Guide for Windows XP
===================================

What video cards does this apply to?
Any video card touting an nVidia or ATi chipset.

How long does this take?
However long it takes to reboot your computer a couple of times.

Is there any real benefit in doing this?
The reassurance that you have installed your drivers properly, and the ability to pin your problems to something other than drivers should they persist.

Are there situations in which this is not necessary?
Yes. For example, if you are using 45.23 and you want to install Omega's 45.23's, then you dont need to go through all of this.

Ok - lets get down to business...

First, you'll need some tools. Get Driver Cleaner, Detonator R.I.P. or some other comparable cleaner program. I find Driver Cleaner to be helpful in saving time, but some people find it buggy. Since I havent experienced any bugs with it, I still recommend it.
Make sure you have these programs ready to run before you commence the process.

Obviously, you'll want the driver you wish to replace your current driver with, unarchived and ready to roll, as well. Optionally, Id recommend that "Refresh Force" be downloaded and unarchived and ready to go as well. It can be downloaded here.

With that all accounted for, we're ready to start.

Step 1: Control Panel Uninstall
By whatever means you chose to get there, open "Add/Remove Programs" - which resides in your control panel. Once there, peruse around a bit for "nVidia Display Adapter Drivers." Once found, double click on it and uninstall it. Click "ok" when done.

Reboot. Have your finger on the F8 key ready to press.

Step 2: Safe Mode
When your computer restarts, and the BIOS does its thing, start tapping the F8 key every couple of seconds. If you see the "Windows XP" logo with scrolling animation under it, you're too late and should reboot and try again. After initiating safe mode (and waiting a week for it to finish loading) navigate in windows to where you installed/unarchived Driver Cleaner or Detonator R.I.P. and run it. Proceed to Step 3.

Step 3: inf/pnf files.
*Note - steps [3-A] and [3-B] are unnecessary if you used Driver Cleaner version 2 or later, and step [3-C] is currently unnecessary for ATi adapters.

[3-A.]
Ok. This is where things get a little tricky - and also why I use Driver Cleaner. Click on your 'start' button. Then click on 'Run'. A nifty shortcut to do this is to press WindowsKey+R. Once there, type "c:\windows" and press enter. *Note - if you get an error message here, you have windows installed to a different directory. Try "c:\winnt" or "c:\winxp" or "d:\windows" or different variants thereof until you get to your root windows directory. Once there, make sure you can view hidden folders/directories. The way you can tell if you are able to see them is by looking for a folder named "INF." If you can see this folder, then proceed to section 3-B. If the INF folder appears not to exist, then, in your open window, click on "tools" -> "folder options." Look for and click on the "View" tab. You will notice a lot of checkboxes in the middle-bottom of this window. Scroll down until you see a box that says next to it "Show hidden/system files and folders." Check it. Close this window and go back to your original window. Proceed to 3-B

[3-B]
With the INF folder visible, right click on it and click on "Search." With the search window open, type into the *a word or phrase in the file* box -- once again, I must reiterate that you need to type into the correct field, either: "nvidia display" or "ati display" and click "search." The files it should find should be files with the extension "inf." Write the names of these files down, or open notepad and take note of them. After you're finished with this, close the search window, and then open the INF folder from your original window. Click on "view -> arrange icons -> by name." Find the INF files you took note of, and files that share the same name but have the extension PNF and delete them. Example. If NV14.INF turned up in your search, and NV14.INF and NV14.PNF exist, delete both. Continue doing so until you have completed your list

[3-C]
In the notice above, it says this step is unnecessary for ATi users or dial up users that dont have their connections dial automatically. For ATi users, this is because Microsoft doesnt have official support for ATi drivers at the current moment. For non-auto dialup connections, this is because your computer will not lok for a driver from Windows Update. This mainly applies to broadband users connected to routers. Should Microsoft support Catalysts, I'll see about updating this guide. This step is simple. Its necessary though because windows will automatically try and download a driver from Windows Update withoug prompting you. Go to your connections window. I prefer using start-> connections. It can also be found by right clicking on "My Network Places." Once there, spot your internet connection, be it a dial up on autoconnect, or a LAN connection to your router. If its a LAN connection, disable it temporarily. Simply right click on it and click on "disable." If you are using an auto-connecting dialup, simply go on to the next step. There are special instructions for you there.

Reboot

Step 4: Back to regular Windows
After windows is back up (and nasty looking in 800x600x16bpp) and you log in, you should get prompted what to do about windows detecting your VGA adapter. At this point, if your Dial Up starts connecting, halt it. Otherwise, you can either direct your driver install pompt to the location of your preferred driver, or click on "cancel," navigate to your preferred browsers "setup.exe" file and execute it. After the driver install is done, it will bother you about a monitor driver. Simply tell it to automatically install. Once finished, re-enable your broadband connection, and you're done!

You have successfully installed your drivers! Though windows wont prompt you to reboot - it'd be a good idea at this point. If you downloaded refresh force, now is the time to run it - before you reboot after your driver/monitor install. That way you kill 2 birds with one stone. Refresh force is simple. Run it, click "auto-populate" then click "apply" and "close."

Hope this helped ya!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

The lastest: Brought home a video card from work, popped it in, installed driver, problem solved.
ATI card is currently on it's way back to the store to be exchanged. Thanks to ATI for waiting 12 days to respond with "It is likely that in your older system, the desktop resolution was much lower that your newer system. When videos are played in full screen using a high desktop resolution, you will likely notice this problem." Unfortunately I had stated to them that I have used the same resolution now as I did with the old system. I've even adjusted to see if increasing and decreasing had any effect on it. Apparently they never bother to read my ticket when I submitted it. Oh well, shit happens.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 10:16 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, ATI's tech support is a joke. I wrote in asking if it was possible to change the default bitrate the FM tuner uses to save mp3's, and mentioned in the ticket that I'd already read the user manual, and the FAQ's, and nothing was mentioned about changing the bitrate.

Got back a nice canned response "thank you for contacting ATI support blah blah blah", and a link to the user manual

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement