PVR peeps - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

PVR peeps

Thinking about getting the parents a TiVo or ReplayTV for their anniversary... but I need to know if they can use either without a subscription. IE: Can they pause/rewind live tv, slow mo, and manually schedule recordings... just not have the extra "features", like clicking on a program title days in advance and it automatically setting itself to record.

In otherwords, could they still use it like a VCR with a pause live tv feature, but not have the additional services?

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Thinking about getting the parents a TiVo or ReplayTV for their anniversary... but I need to know if they can use either without a subscription. IE: Can they pause/rewind live tv, slow mo, and manually schedule recordings... just not have the extra "features", like clicking on a program title days in advance and it automatically setting itself to record.

In otherwords, could they still use it like a VCR with a pause live tv feature, but not have the additional services?

Nope, you have to have a subscription for the tivo features to work. (Im sure there are hacks though )
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, did some reading up on it last night. Apparently first gen tivo's could work with basic pvr functions without a sub... you'd have to subscribe to get the channel guide, and the thing where it suggests shows to watch by automatically recording them (which, personally, I think is dumb), etc.

It's hard enough getting them to pay $10/mo for dial-up to check email (and forget trying to convince them to pay for broadband, much less venture out beyond email)... just don't know if they'd be willing to pay a subscription fee for it.

Been thinking about building them a MythTV, Freevo, or if I stick with XP, Media Portal box from my old media pc. Might end up going that route instead... I can only imagine how fun it'll be teaching them how to use it ...

DarkWolf

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah, did some reading up on it last night. Apparently first gen tivo's could work with basic pvr functions without a sub... you'd have to subscribe to get the channel guide, and the thing where it suggests shows to watch by automatically recording them (which, personally, I think is dumb), etc.

It's hard enough getting them to pay $10/mo for dial-up to check email (and forget trying to convince them to pay for broadband, much less venture out beyond email)... just don't know if they'd be willing to pay a subscription fee for it.

Been thinking about building them a MythTV, Freevo, or if I stick with XP, Media Portal box from my old media pc. Might end up going that route instead... I can only imagine how fun it'll be teaching them how to use it ...

Let me know how that works... I was going to try a freevo box.. but never went and got a tvtuner that would run on linux. (all I had was an old ATI All-in-wonder, which doesnt work on linux)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I think I'll be sticking with Media Portal for this, until I get a bit more Linux experience myself (as I know nothing of setting up a tv tuner in Linux yet). I'll probably end up turning one of my boxes into a MythTV/Freevo box one of these days when I can actually take the time to figure it out.

DarkWolf
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 02:03 AM

Quote:
I think I'll be sticking with Media Portal for this, until I get a bit more Linux experience myself (as I know nothing of setting up a tv tuner in Linux yet). I'll probably end up turning one of my boxes into a MythTV/Freevo box one of these days when I can actually take the time to figure it out.

If the card is supported under linux, most distro's automatically detect No setting up required in most cases!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

It's an AIW 7500, I would hope it's supported (and 3d excelleration should be default with the base radeon drivers as well). I just downloaded the 2005.0 packages for Gentoo. I'll be playing with that again soon, only thing I couldn't get working on Gentoo before, was my scanner... though it was detected :-/ Don't think I'll be needing that for a media computer, so maybe I will give it a go first.

DarkWolf
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 12:40 AM

Quote:
It's an AIW 7500, I would hope it's supported (and 3d excelleration should be default with the base radeon drivers as well). I just downloaded the 2005.0 packages for Gentoo. I'll be playing with that again soon, only thing I couldn't get working on Gentoo before, was my scanner... though it was detected :-/ Don't think I'll be needing that for a media computer, so maybe I will give it a go first.

AIW's aren't supported under linux (capturewise anyways) So I wouldnt waste your time with linux on that one
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, was just reading the mythtv faq I guess it's back to Media Portal then.

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement