I'm hoisting a beer tonite to a "thing" on a "thing" - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Talking I'm hoisting a beer tonite to a "thing" on a "thing"

Yeah, you were certainly sexy, and something new. I saw you when you were just a kid growing up on an 8086 processor; who knew how attractive you'd be in just a few years? I remember going down to the peep show (soft warehouse) and ogling your warez, trying to justify spending a few dimes on your seductive offerings. And I remember the acrimony with your fits of rage and your blue screens. Still, I learned a lot from you; cool stuff like how interrupts work, and how to map extended memory to make you do all of the twisted things that I desired. I knew you intimately; I knew the secrets of your .INI files and how to make you scream like no other. I knew how badly you needed new drivers, and I saw your weak side - how you hung out with your buddy DOS and all of those real mode drivers that corrupted you and left you with new boots. Still, I was able to pimp you out and make a lot of money on the things you'd do for my customers. A true passionate & troubled relationship.

Parting is such sweet sorrow

A milestone passed for me tonight. The thing on a thing is windows running on dos (that is a famous quote from back in the day). I just upgraded my last windows 98 box to XP. I hoist a beer for what has been, and I also hoist a beer looking forward to more stability
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:15 AM
El Camino

pass me a mug

I grew up on ms dos. I almost made my young ones start on it but the wife said that was being cruel.

Too bad these new young ones soon will not know what a command line interface is like. I guess I could always toss em on linux.

I remember a few years back I put dos 6.22 and win 3.1 on an old vlb 486 and it would boot up to the os faster than a current machine with nt/2000/xp

I do not miss having to support 98 in a corp environment even though I too made some $$$ off of it.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 11:25 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

I still have an IBM 8086 XT, 10MB (not GB) HD, 640K memory running Dos 3.1. It still contains most of the software w/ source code of apps I wrote to about 1988.

The real "IBM Click" keyboard.

Hercules graphics card (cool shit, board is full size with more chips than my Radeon) and a 14" mono screen.

I fire it up every once and a while and think of the old days.

It sits on a table with an original Mac 128K. Unfortunately, when you boot the mac up you get the "sick mac" icon.

The XT was upgraded sometime in 88 to a really cool 386SX from Hynduai.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Raiden Wins

I don't remember much about DOS except booting up Doom and Doom 2 on our old Packard Bell with Windows 3.1. I did learn some stuff in Computer A+, but I've pretty much forgotten everything.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:13 PM
The token Asian guy

Here come the "back in my days..." posts....

I remember when your Operating System, application and data all fit on one 360k floppy. I had MS-DOS 2.1, dBASE II, and a database application on one diskette.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:14 PM
El Camino

I started off using an apple II when I was 5-6 yr old. Big 5 1/4 floppy, audio cassette drive, and it was hooked to a 13" color tv for the "monitor"

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Raiden Wins

Oh and of course dominating Oregon Trail on a Macintosh Classic.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
pass me a mug

I grew up on ms dos. I almost made my young ones start on it but the wife said that was being cruel.

Too bad these new young ones soon will not know what a command line interface is like. I guess I could always toss em on linux.

I remember a few years back I put dos 6.22 and win 3.1 on an old vlb 486 and it would boot up to the os faster than a current machine with nt/2000/xp

I do not miss having to support 98 in a corp environment even though I too made some $$$ off of it.

I have my kids running Mandrake 10. If they need help doing something.. I make them use the command line, tell them what to type in and what it does
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
I started off using an apple II when I was 5-6 yr old. Big 5 1/4 floppy, audio cassette drive, and it was hooked to a 13" color tv for the "monitor"
Big were the 8 inch floppys. Had one on a "zilog" Z80 system running CPM.

Interesting story about the 5 1/4 floppy. Apparently some engineers were sitting around at happy hour talking about reducing the size of those giant floppy disks. One engineer picked up a cocktail napkin and said, "about this size". The napkin was....... you guessed it, 5 1/4 inches in size.

What is amazing is how much progress has happened in the last 20 years. I remember when "soft warehouse" was a place over on midway in addison with a small reception area behind the front door and a guy working behind a sliding glass window, pulling the stuff off the shelf that you asked for. For you that don't know soft warehouse was the forerunner of compusa. I remember windows 1.0, and when the total amount of windows software available at the store comprised 1/2 of 1 shelf row.

It is mind boggling how fast technology has moved since 1984.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 09:52 AM
The token Asian guy

When I was in the USAF and was working in a classified environment, the proper procedure to declassify a 5.25" floppy disk was to throw it in the shredder. That surely beat any sort of Norton Erase utility.

Remember cutting notches in the 5.25" disks? Side A and Side B? And those little sticky tabs to make them read-only.

How about punching holes in the 720k 3.5" floppy disks? Instant 1.44 mb disks!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 11:33 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

First computer I wrote a commercial piece of software for.

It was pretty cool to see a sports writer at a Rangers game still writing his column on it with the software about 8 years ago. Sports writers loved it because it could be placed on your lap while you watched the game.

Little thermal printer attached to it.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 12:00 PM
NES Crew

Iím posting this message via a 300 baud cradle modem.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra

It was pretty cool to see a sports writer at a Rangers game still writing his column on it with the software about 8 years ago. Sports writers loved it because it could be placed on your lap while you watched the game.

Little thermal printer attached to it.
I still have one of those
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead
Remember cutting notches in the 5.25" disks? Side A and Side B? And those little sticky tabs to make them read-only.

How about punching holes in the 720k 3.5" floppy disks? Instant 1.44 mb disks!
Yep, remember all of that.

And using the heated end of a paper clip to punch a hole in the media at the right spot to be able to make a copy of a "pro locked" diskette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement