Tuner card vs. ATI AIW - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
not exclude

Tuner card vs. ATI AIW

I have built a media PC, just need the tuner...I have been looking at buying either an older Radeon AIW or a PCI tuner. In many cases, the tuner is upwards of $100...is there any real advantage to going with the tuner over the older video card? Aside from software advantages...

Here is the tuner card I'm looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116625
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Here's that same tuner card on Amazon for $60. If you are planning on using your PC as a PVR, then go with the Hauppauge Tuner as I hear it's better for this purpose. If you want to just watch TV, then go with the AIW card, especially if you also need the card for playing games, etc.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
not exclude

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=electronics

I went ahead and bought this one from Fry's (99.00 - $20 MIR)...liking it so far. Been trying out various software.

Apparently the difference between the tuner and the AIW card is hardware v. software encoding.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 08:31 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

The main difference between the pci tuners, and an AIW type card, is the delay from the input signal. You won't notice it when watching TV, but you will definitely notice it when you plug up one of your video game consoles, and notice all the controls are reacting .5 - 1 second after you actually executed them.

The AIW type cards are much better, still a slight delay, but in the .031 (or 1/32nd's) of a second range. I can play ps2, xbox, and gamecube all through my AIW with no problems. Only recently noticed the delay when I actually turned on my tv and had the same show on, and it sounded kinda like an echo in a small room (ie the echo was heard almost as fast as the live sound).

I experimented with 3 different pci add in tuners, and all ranged from .5 - 1 second delays. Tried an ATI TV Wonder Pro (software encoder), got .5 from it. I was prepared to live with the .5 second delay, and just play my games on my TV, when I noticed that it didn't have the option to pause live tv. So it went back.

Diamond PVR550 (I think is the name, hardware encoder) got 1 second. The 1 second delay, again would've been acceptable, and I would just play games on my TV... but the software included with this package sucked balls. Forced me to load .NET ... which I don't want, and certainly don't want to be forced to use. Couldn't change the video source without going through a web interface. One touch record was non-existant... had to run to the web interface, and schedule a recording . Pausing live TV worked at least. But you couldn't, afterwards, choose to save the video recorded if you wanted to.

And Hauppage WinTV PVR150 (hardware encoder, I think), got .5 seconds. At this point, I knew my old AIW Radeon 7500 played my games perfectly fine, so I took the Hauppage back and upgraded to an AIW 9600xt, so I could still play my pc games as well.

The difference between a hardware and a software encoder, with current computer's, is negligable. Unless you're running a sub 1GHz machine, you won't really notice a huge difference for regular vcd quality... only when you start recording to dvd quality (720x480 mpeg2) will the difference between hardware and software be seen... though on a 3GHz machine, even the software encoder won't have much problem keeping up with a hardware one.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement