Need some help guys - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Need some help guys

For starters my cd burner died on me so I say what the hell go to frys and pick up a new one and while I'm there grab another stick of ram for my old ass comp. Its a P3 1.1ghz and I cannot find a stick of ram that will work yet. This time I took the stick of PC133 256mb so they could find me one that would work. Guy said here you go. I told him that I picked up a vid card that wouldn't fit in my case so he says here is a nice case that should suit you just fine. I say great but I don't know how to put together a pc he says its easy as long as I am transfering over everything from my old machine. I say ok but he then says it should be a cakewalk as long as its not a dell, I reply that its a gateway and he sayd I shouldn't have any probs. Well I got home and the memory wont work but the new combo drive works great. Granted these are in the old case. So is there anyone that can help me put this turd together? I would really like to have this in the new case I bought especially so I can install the video card I have. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Fry's
Gateway
1.1Ghz P3

You are screwed if that proprietary computer (Gateway) has proprietary memory in their proprietary motherboard in their proprietary case. That is why the video card didn't fit.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

The vid card won't fit because we got the slimline case the vid card is too tall. I have the vid card in now and no problems so far with the exception that the internals are exposed. The case is 4 inches tall the vid card is 5.25 inches tall. So I picked up a nice mid-tower case.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael101
The vid card won't fit because we got the slimline case the vid card is too tall. I have the vid card in now and no problems so far with the exception that the internals are exposed. The case is 4 inches tall the vid card is 5.25 inches tall. So I picked up a nice mid-tower case.
Good job. You get the memory in?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

The memory didn't work. It will recognize it at startup then it keeps rebooting. I said hell with it and took the memory and case back. Took the vid card out and the dvd still runs without any problems I'm gonna find another stick on ebay using the part number on the stick I have here. As for another case? I may just buy another cheap machine and stick this one in the kitchen or another bedroom. While the framing of the house was being done a few friends and myself wired nearly the entire house with cat5 just in case we decided to have a small home network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement